Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

Anybody keeping purple monster?

Is anybody keeping a Tyree LE Purple Monster? If so what conditions is it being kept under: lighting, flow, ect? How fast does it grow, and what are your water parameters?

I also heve another question, and that is: why do people say to have your tank up and running before you begin to keep acro's?

Thanks

Last edited by barnett8; 11/23/2007 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11/23/2007, 12:06 PM
Alpha One

Hello,

I keep a purple monster. It is a medium pace grower and requires no more care than any normal acro would need.

Concerning your other question, yes your tank will have to be running and stable in order to keep coral. When I first got into reefing I waited almost 9 months before I slowly started to add acro frags.

The key to keeping acros is stability. This is the reason why you need to wait in order to keep coral.

If you currently do not have any coral you should go with a cheaper acro for now, like a green slimer or a milli.

Sing, goddess, the rage of Achilles the son of Peleus,the destructive rage that sent countless pains on the Achaeans...
Old 11/23/2007, 01:30 PM
#1 Acro Crab Killah

Location: Boca Raton or Tallahassee - Florida State University
If you asked the second question, I have to ask one myself. Where did you hear about the Tyree LE PM?

There is either a really brilliant reason why you're asking your second question, or a really really really terrible stupid question. No offense. I just don't know why someone who asks the basics of keeping acros would mention how difficult it is to take care of one of the "most sought after corals in the hobby." I put that in quotes because you can fill out your reason for why it's so damn popular.

Do some Montiporas before you start playing with acros.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I do know the basic keepings of acro's. the second question was just wondering what needed to mature (I knew I would look stupid asking it.) There is no better way to find an answer, than asking a question. Also, I have kept milli's, and several other types of SPS, but never tried an acro.

To answer yourother question, I think I read it in an article.

And BTW I way never considering this as my first acro.
Old 11/23/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Don't worry, by the time your name comes up on the waiting list for a frag you'll be very experienced
Old 11/23/2007, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

umm, a millepora is an acropora. its Acropora Millepora.
Old 11/24/2007, 03:57 AM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

The trouble with finding one isn't because it's harder for you to keep, but because it is such a slow grower that most people do not want to frag whatever small colony they have going.

If you ever have a problem with your tank, your purple monster will probably be among the last to go. It probably won't be the first one to show signs of stress.
Old 11/24/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

I have found my Purple Monster to be a moderately fast grower , Lucky me . I keep it kind of high and it gets decent flow...not super high (but soon there will be higher flow in my tank). It only takes about 2 weeks to grow over a frag spot and another 4 weeks or so to send out a 1/4" branch from the spot. I have been super surprised at how fast it has been growing. It may be the size of the frag I started with though...a fully encrusted piece, close to quarter size with multiple branches coming out of it. I paid well for the piece but in the scheme of prices on this coral I got a great deal for a very helathy, super large frag. I just happened to be perusing the For Sale threads at the right moment...the two frags that were for sale went very fast.
As far as time lines a good 6-8 months of getting your tank stable, then trying some millis like you have, maybe slimer, or easier to keep pieces...once they are established and showing growth you can start adding more acros. I would agree that the purple monster seems to be a pretty hardy coral...given its long history in the hobby . Good luck with one when you do find one.
Old 11/24/2007, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by teen
umm, a millepora is an acropora. its Acropora Millepora.
Sorry I ment montipora, not millipora (they're sort of close names).

Also, Slojmn, mind hooking me up with a frag, since yours is such a fast grower? (no pressure intended)

Last edited by barnett8; 11/24/2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 11:35 PM
Premium Member

Sometimes I put up a small frag in a frag pack of my Purple Monster, you just have to keep an eye out on the For Sale threads
Old 11/25/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

My Purple Monster grows very slow. I have it 16" below a 400 wtt 20 k bulb looks great but a slow grower for me. As for getting one try a reefer that has one rather then waiting for Tyree!!!! as he will never get to you
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®