Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/23/2007, 10:44 AM
Blue

low pH pics

I recently won a pH monitor and I'm getting some strange readings in the morning and I'm wondering if it's even possible. I'm getting a 7.3 reading some morning, not every day, about once out of 5 days. Usually I swing from 7.9 (dark) to 8.3 (all lights on).

Can a reef tank get down to 7.3?!

I have a 180 reef tank with 40 gallon sump.
Old 11/23/2007, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

I'd guess if it is just once in the 5 days that it is your probe being screwy. I assume you are calibrating regularly and are not reusing calibration fluids. You might also check and make sure that the the calibration fluids you have aren't old. I know that 10 buffers often expire quickly. If your ph monitor doesnt correct for temperature that could be an issue as well.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:01 PM
15 & Over Club

When I first hooked up my Pinpoint pH monitor, it was reading up to 8.4 during the day, and 7.9 at night. I run a GEO kalk reactor, so these readings were expected. The week after, my pH readings were much lower (8.1 day and 7.8 night). I'm still not sure why they are so low, and I'll be recalibrating next week. Hopefully its just my monitor.
2001 black T/A WS6~M6 ASC#6979
331rwhp/348rwtq
Mods: !CAGS, Pro 5.0, TSP lid, BGRA, Raptor shift light, Strange 4.10 gears, GMMG exhaust
Old 11/23/2007, 01:18 PM
Blue

Don't you think 7.3 is just too low. I wouldn't think that a salt water tank could even get that low.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:19 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Let us know as I suspect the meter may have lost its calibration. Is this meter near any electrical outlets and are you running the meter on DC or AC power ?

Take a sample of tank water to some where else in the house and see if you get the same readings as in the tank

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 11/23/2007, 01:24 PM
Blue

I have the meter close to one of my 400W E ballasts. Would this affect the meter?

I'm not sure if it's AC or DC, not really up on my electric.
Old 11/23/2007, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

i noticed when my fuge light turns on for the night(150w hqi ballast) my ph meter will go funky for about 45 seconds, and then it is normal... maybe that is what you are seeing...?
Old 11/23/2007, 02:10 PM
Blue

It's always in the morning with no lights on, so I doubt that that is what is causing it.
Old 11/24/2007, 03:41 AM
RC Mod

I'd try measuring a cup of water well away from the tank. Does the meter run on batteries? If not, check the power cords carefully. If that doesn't fix the problem, I suspect recalibration is going to be necessary. 7.3 isn't possible, in reality.
Old 11/24/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Since a pH meter is just a glorified voltmeter if you have some stray current in your tank that will cause you to get screwy results. You might try like someone else mentioned and test some water NOT in the tank so as to isolate it from any potential current in your tank. That is a long shot though. You might also check how you are storing the probe. Are you keeping it in a particular solution? When you calibrate does it give you a slope, is it within the range it is supposed to be? Have you tried testing one of your calibration solutions with the probe to see if they read as the pH they are?

Last edited by fish tanked; 11/24/2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11/24/2007, 05:56 PM
Blue

I keep the probe in the sump, so it's not stored in solution. I did the test away from the tank and I got around the same reading as far as comparing color changes to an actual number.
When I woke up this morning my pH reading was 7.94 so I can't figure it out. Either its a problem with the monitor or the probe but it seems to come and go.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:46 PM
RC Mod

That's going to be tough to diagnose.
Old 11/24/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

I would try taking the probe out of your sump and putting it in some of the calibration fluid that you have poured into a really small container. This fluid is usually marked as different pHs eg: a 4.0, 7.0 and a 10.0 fluid. See if they test as they are labeled making sure to rinse the probe off in a separate container of clean water between each test. That is an easy way to rule out the probe as working correctly or not.

Also, look at where the probe is in your sump, is it really close to a heater or something else that gives off heat such as a pump? Is it getting directly hit with bubbles so that they can accumulate on it? Is it staying completely submerged?

Have you considered that the pH actually is swinging dramatically? How is the tank's livestock doing? Have you checked your Alkalinity lately?
Old 11/27/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

This much of a pH swing is probably an alkalinity problem no matter how far the probe is off. Get a good alk test, or better yet, get a good friend with a reef tank to double check both alk and pH readings. You can use kalkwasser or washing soda to slowly recover the alk if you are conservative even without a good reading, but your probably want to fix the probe first if you can.

One (somewhat risky) way to test your probe: Add kalkwasser until the pH reads just above 8.5 for and stays above 8.5 for 1 hour. If you cannot do that, your meter is reading low. If you can and the pH does not return below 8.4 after 12 hours you know your meter is reading high. Again, be careful, too much kalkwasser will do bad things.

I screwed myself by calibrating my meter too fast. I would put it in the 7 fluid, and wait 5 minutes and set it to 7. But I found it would keep dropping for another 5 minutes and I wasn't waiting long enough. So my 7 liquid read 7.5 and my 10 read 9.5. This may be an issue with me having an older probe I probably should replace, but a bad calibration job really throws the number. I only found this by accident by the method I just posted - I added too much kalkwasser my pH never went over 9 but was above 8.5 pH almost 24 hours later - I know that isn't possible.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:25 AM
RC Mod

This article describes a safe sanity test for a pH meter:

http://web.archive.org/web/200210150...io/default.asp