Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/19/2007, 11:18 PM
Registered Member

T5 light configurations and pics of tanks

Like the title says.....please post pics of your tank with your T5s running and include what light configuration you are using. I am running two 54w 6500k and two 54w 10000k w/ two vhos for actinics. I would just like to see what other lights (color configurations) look like, not sure if I like the color I am getting out of the corals I have. Thanks.
Old 11/20/2007, 06:16 PM
Registered Member

come on guys I know plenty of you have T5s over your tank....please post full tank shots and tell us which bulbs you are using! I need some help. I thought T5s were better than vhos but the color of the corals doesnt seem the same.....please post some pics of your tanks! thanks
Old 11/20/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

Photos are useless for comparing lighting color. There are just too many variables to make more than crude assumptions from lighting photos.

Your best bet is to go to the LFS or visit local tanks and have a look first hand.
Old 11/20/2007, 07:57 PM
Premium Member

As you can see, not a great picture. This is my 55 gallon with 4 T5, 54W over it. 2 are 10K and 2 are Actinic. It is NOT an individual reflector fixture, but I got it cheap until I can eventually construct something for my 200.

The glow behind it to the left is 2, "120 Watt" outdoor fluorescent bulbs. I have a little grow-out tub back there that is doing great under them.
Old 11/20/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

Here ya go.........I have 4x39W T5's (blue plus, super actinic, aquasun, blue plus) individual SLR reflectors
Old 11/20/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

thanks keep them coming.....as for you beananimal, lfs does not have them I have to order them therefore I cannot see them running in the store. Thanks though
Old 11/21/2007, 03:43 AM
Registered Member

to the top
Old 11/21/2007, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rissaroo
thanks keep them coming.....as for you beananimal, lfs does not have them I have to order them therefore I cannot see them running in the store. Thanks though
That still does not make the pictures usefull at all Even if the photos were somehow accurate with regard t color (not a chance) what about the computer monitor? Go to your local electronics store. The same picture looks different on every screen.

Go ahead and press the MENU button on your monitor and adjust the color temperature button (lets forget that you can adjust hue/color and brightness/contrast). You will see a HUGE difference just changing color temperatures.

What your eye sees and what a camera pick up are a LOT different. The ambient light, the type of camera and its settings (white balance, compression, color profile, etc) all come into play. The software used to process the image. Your windows (or MAC) color settings... the list goes on and on.

I am not picking on you for asking. I am just pointing out something that you (and many poeple) may not already understand.

Photographs (film, or digital) are just not suitable for determining how different bulb combinations look over an aquarium.

Last edited by BeanAnimal; 11/21/2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

They have a site somewhere around here - it has many pictures with different spectrums. Even if your monitor is off, it will give a good comparison between spectrums. Some bluer, some yellower, etc. That will probably be your best bet as far as comparing colors. If I find it, I'll post it here.
Old 11/21/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
They have a site somewhere around here - it has many pictures with different spectrums. Even if your monitor is off, it will give a good comparison between spectrums. Some bluer, some yellower, etc. That will probably be your best bet as far as comparing colors. If I find it, I'll post it here.

I am not sure you need a link...

The bulbs will go from:

YELLOW - WHITE - BLUE

as the K rating of the bulb rises.

If your tank is too blue then add more lower K bulbs... if you need more blue add higher K bulbs (or actinics).
Old 11/21/2007, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

http://www.cnidarianreef.com/lamps.cfm

This isn't exactly the link I was looking for, but if you scroll down you'll see some good color comparisons.

BeanAnimal - I understand your issue with colors (camera, image editing, monitor color, etc.).
Old 11/21/2007, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

No problem at all

I just want to make sure that others understand as well. There are a LOT of threads where people ask to see photos of tanks to determine lighting options.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

Just a quick aside... I'm an amatuer photog. There are ways to have completely correct color space processing from start to finish but it takes a good camera, the correct colorspace (and no jpeg sRGB is NOT it) along with a calibrated monitor to deliver it.

I know there are many photogs the peruse this forum since for some reason brightly colored sea life and photography seem to go hand in hand. It would be possibly to start a thread will color correct attachments in it.
Old 11/21/2007, 11:22 AM
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not...

FTS with just atinics on:

T5 shot (1 Super Atinic and 1 Blue+)

FTS with 250w Reeflux 10K (Icecap ballast) and atinics
Old 11/21/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

its an older picture, I think i had the lights for about a day or two.

Tek Fixture 6 x 54 limited edition, 1 actinic, 3 aquablues, 1 daylight and 1 10K, all ati bulbs

http://www.swfishtank.com/wp-content...nk/tank153.jpg
Old 11/21/2007, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

yiiikkkes thats huge, sorry. i removed the pic and just have the link now
Old 11/21/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wmilas
Just a quick aside... I'm an amatuer photog. There are ways to have completely correct color space processing from start to finish but it takes a good camera, the correct colorspace (and no jpeg sRGB is NOT it) along with a calibrated monitor to deliver it.

I know there are many photogs the peruse this forum since for some reason brightly colored sea life and photography seem to go hand in hand. It would be possibly to start a thread will color correct attachments in it.
Not as easy as you think What your eyes see and what is in the "color correct" photos are still not the same and you still have a huge problem with people not having color corrected display devices!

The bottom line is that photos are great to look at... if you want to choose coloring, you need to see it with your own eyes.