Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/16/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

help

Okay here's my story! My tank is a 72gl bow front. I have an emperor 400, Remora skimmer, PC lights 70lbs of LR and about 80lbs LS I have Xenia, Candy Cane, Kenya Tree, Zoos, Polys, and Rics I do water changes weekly using RO water from AC mixing with Reef Crystal Salt adding C- Balance @ every water change 1 week I do a 5 gl change the next I do a 10gl change These are my test results from tonight before my water change.
N03 - 0
N02<0.3
PH 8.0
Salinity 1.024
KH 7
NH3/NH4 0
Temp 78

here are some photo's of my biggest concern I feel I am about to lose these guys!!
Polys

Polys

Zoos

Zoos

Im sorry I don't have the best camera in the world but this is the best I could do!
Old 11/17/2007, 12:22 AM
Registered Member

What exactly is the problem, are they not opening, disappearing,or what?

Your KH is low, as well as your PH... I like to keep mine at PH 8.2 - 8.4 and Alk at 10 - 11... Salinity is also a bit low but ok, I keep mine at 1.026, what are you using to test salinity...

Anything else acting weird...

Dream
Old 11/17/2007, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

They r not opening! And Im using a refractometer.
What can I do to get these up? Other than the salinity I can figure that one out!
Old 11/17/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

Well getting them up will probably not help to much for your zoos but are you dosing anything for KH or PH...

As for your zoos, how long have they been in the tank. What wattage are your lights and how long of a photoperiod do you run...

Dream
Old 11/17/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

My PC's are Coralife Compact Floresence
2 x 65 watt Actinic
2 x 65 watt 10K
I thought adding the C-balance was for the KH am I wrong on this? My Actinic come on @ 12:30pm
10 k come on @ 1:30
10 k goes off at 8:30
Actinic goes off @ 9:30
Old 11/17/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

Yes the C-balance is for supplementing the KH but depending on your coral load and how often it is used up you may need to supplement more than only on water changes... I have to dose a ton of KH everyday to keep my levels at 10, try checking your KH then adding the recommend dosage then testing again.. Do this until you find out how much you should add to keep the KH stable at 9 or 10 everyday...

Your lights are fine for keeping zoos especially since you have them high up...

How long have they been in there...

Dream
Old 11/17/2007, 12:55 AM
Registered Member

They have been in there about 1-1/2 months not very long but looked much better a few weeks ago!
Old 11/17/2007, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Zoos are weird, they will go through times were the open and times were they dont... Kinda like there moods... How long have they been not opening... I have zoos that have taken a month to open after putting them in my tank, I also have a frag that opens for a day or two and then will stay closed for a day or two...

Examine them closely if you dont see a fungus, or them melting away, or even little critters eating them then I would give it sometime... There is a thread at the top of this forum that explains a ton of reason why they dont open... Also are all the polyps not opening or just a few...

Dream
Old 11/17/2007, 11:19 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

where these guys properly acclimated to the lighting.. meaning started in the bottom first then slowly moved up in time? to prevent LIGHTSHOCK

" Charles V "
Old 11/19/2007, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

It has been about a week now that I have noticed them like this, some days they open up partially for a little while then they close back up. They where started pretty low in the tank about 4" from the bottom and now they are about right in the middle. My Polys are the highest and doing the worst!
Old 11/19/2007, 11:20 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Lower them a bit, play around with placement in the tank. they'll tell you how happy they are.

" Charles V "