Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > East Tennessee Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Clam purchase

I am adding a clam to my tank in the near future and need some guidance. I am looking to order it from Dr. Fosters LA. I am looking to spend around 75 bucks. Do I want a Crocea or Maxima? What about the super colored crocea not listed in the divers den wysiwyg section? I would be grateful if one of you guys could take a look at Dr. Fosters clams and give me some suggestions. I really like the bright blue maxima on the second page in divers den, is that a good clam? Also would anyone like to get in on a livestock order from LA? Thanks guys.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

For the funds you have available, when you add the shipping costs, you may want to consider purchasing something locally if you can find what you like.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

All I see locally are those plum,blue colored crocea. I have been looking for a month or so and have not seen anything that stands out. I don't mind spending a little more to get a really nice clam but from what I have seen at online sites 75.00-100.00 will get you a nice clam. (not including shipping)
Old 11/14/2007, 03:11 PM
How a relationship works

One thing to remember when ordering off line is that most sites use 400w 20k with actinic supplements. With that kind of light you can make a brown coral look banging

Superman puts on Tim Tebow pajamas when he goes to bed

The Heisman as a sophomore nuff said
Old 11/14/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Yea, I am leary of that! That is way I asked you guys to check them out and tell me what you think. Someone look at the blue maxima on wysiwyg divers den it is the very last clam on page two, thats a nice clam, no?
Old 11/14/2007, 03:32 PM
How a relationship works

That one looks good and you get a 14day guarantee. But it is only 2in. and all the book say you will have to feed the hell out if it to keep it alive .I would agree to that for the most part i have kept one smaller and have never fed it.The key is to have real strong lights and a good fish population.That is how i run my tank and like i said it only about one inch when i got its now 2.5 and i never feed it

Old 11/14/2007, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

So Dave, you recommend getting one a little larger? Maybe more like 4".
Old 11/14/2007, 04:02 PM
How a relationship works

Most of the literate would say at lest over 3. 4 would be a good start.Light is still important at that size also. If you have halides would be best but vhos or t5 will work just have to keep him close to the light

Old 11/14/2007, 04:04 PM
How a relationship works

"literature "

Old 11/14/2007, 04:42 PM
Registered Member

If the clam is <3inches you will need to feed it live phytoplankton. If >3 inches all you need is great light for a crocea or a maxima. For the others > 3 inches you need good light.

Check out "http://www.clamsdirect.com/". Their store is not open now. When they sell out they close down until they get more an go though quarantine. You may also find answers to some of your clam questions on their forum.

How big is your tank? All clams except the crocea get very large. They will also deplete your Ca concentration.

Eddie
Old 11/14/2007, 04:49 PM
How a relationship works

If the clam is <3inches you will need to feed it live phytoplankton

that is old information. strong lights and fish poo will be fine.phytoplankton will not hurt to feed. I have never fed mine

Old 11/14/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Agree w/ Eddie, some of the nicest clams you'll see at a reasonable price come from there, but you gotta act quick and worth waiting for. Other advice is spot on, with croceas being slightly more difficult than maximas.
Old 11/14/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Few nice ones here for less $$

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...ory_Code=Clams
Old 11/15/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

There is a clam up here in Kingsport that a store has. Its the size of a football. The thing is huge.