Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Chico Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

Petworks lolz

I went to Petworks today and a couple of things caught my eye. I have to say, one of the girls that works there is kind of a snot. Thought this conversation might give some of you a chuckle:

Lady: Can I help you?

Me: Yeah, I'd like to buy a couple corals.

Lady: Ummmm she can help you (points to girl).

Girl, sighing, walks over.

Me: Hi, I'd like to buy those two corals (I pointed to them and named them).

Girl (doesn't move or do anything): Do you know how much they cost?

Me: Ummm yeah.... $70ish total?

Girl: (Looks) Yeah. I don't want to get them out if you don't know how much they are.

Me: It's ok, I realize how much they are...

I've only been there a couple times before, never had a conversation with an employee before, and don't know if I will again. I'm really not that dirty/unkempt looking, and my girlfriend was with me and surely she looks like she has enough money to buy coral.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

They are mostly not helpful with most things. And it's her job to get them out of the tank AND tell you how much they cost.

So how did the trip end. Did you buy the corals after all and what were they?

I bought my sailfin tang there but it was marked as a Heniochus for $17.99.

Customer service seems to be lacking a little bit.
Old 11/11/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Yeah their are a couple guys there that know their stuff so I wouldn't just group all of them together. When you go to pet store that sells fish not everyone will know everything about fish or corals.... They seem to be pretty nice most of the time although their coral tanks don't generally look as nice as the other two LFS's
Old 11/11/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

petworks is more of a dog and bird shop with fish and reptiles thrown in for good measure. thats the impression i get from them. good prices on some stuff just not the most knowledge. they still get my business. im just aware of the fact not to trust their labeling..
Old 11/12/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Everyone,

While I do appreciate we share our experiences good or bad, I would like everyone as a club to refrain from negative discussion about LFS' here where it is a permanent record. As a club we are independant of the LFS but still like to have them and their competition. However, it is a slippery-slope and things can go down hill fast once the club accepts this type of flaming (yes, even one person posting a negative LFS comment on this forum often shows up as the entire club bashing an LFS.) I simply ask caution when posting negativity.

Tylt33 please feel free to go back when a gentleman named Chris is there and discuss this episode with him. I've seen/heard of numerous bad customer service events get flamed beyond reason here only to find over time - service is restored.

Also, what Josh said here, often labeling at many LFS's may not be correct as having a grease pencil around at the same time ones hands have been moving around livestock semes to never happen. Please feel free to ask staff how much things are - although there is at least one store in Sac that is known for 'inventing' prices as they go along and often it can work out cheaper if you ask other employees. YMMV.

If you want some real entertainment spend some time looking up a thread on RC called 'ATTN: LFS employee' found here http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1145724 You can also find it within the first few pages of the Reef Discussion Forum.

This gives you some perspective of the customers LFS' employees get that aren't like you and me. My favorite thing I took from that thread was going into LFS's who don't know me and ask if I should be using the iodized or non-iodized salt in my tank. I still smile at that one. Thanks for your attention.

That's my two cents worth.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:40 AM
Registered Member

I understand that we take a neutral position towards LFS in general, I just thought it was funny that they'd be so resistant to getting my business and/or look at me and think that I couldn't afford whatever corals. In all honesty though, it's the kind of information that I think twice about; if there was a LFS that consistently treated fellow club members poorly, I'd do my business elsewhere.

The point of this thread wasn't to bash CPW. If I intended it in that manner, I would have been blunt and negative. I just thought it was humorous/eye-opening that someone would treat a customer that way- I honestly think it was probably because I was three days unshaven, wearing the prior day's clothes, and looked like I stumbled in off a park bench, and I'm not sure that I can blame the worker. Imagine a hobo coming in to buy some expensive corals.

All the same, I feel that many businesses would treat me in a positive manner no matter what. Joel, Jody, Rob, Mike, etc. have all been great in helping me get educated in the world of reefing, although I have a long way to go. It was a strange reality check to not have the friendly bantor that I'm accustomed to.

I still ended up buying a little Torch, a Candy Cane, and a Hammer Coral. For my new nano. If I had been that upset about it I wouldn't have bought anything. I'm addicted to this hobby.
Old 11/12/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

I totally misread the label on Ryan's post. I thought he was talking about Petco!!!! Petco is the one that I was talking about in my post.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:01 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33
The point of this thread wasn't to bash CPW. If I intended it in that manner, I would have been blunt and negative. I just thought it was humorous/eye-opening that someone would treat a customer that way- I honestly think it was probably because I was three days unshaven, wearing the prior day's clothes, and looked like I stumbled in off a park bench, and I'm not sure that I can blame the worker. Imagine a hobo coming in to buy some expensive corals.
My wife and I used to get all dressed up and go into expensive stores just to watch the salespeople fall all over themselves trying to make a sale even though we had no intention of buying.

I worked in retail/service for many years and we treated ALL customers as potential sales.
Old 11/12/2007, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Woah woah Shelbiesdaddy, I just read your signature. You have a 12g AND a 29g??? I have a 12g and a 34g... I wanted to be the King of Nanos. I think this is war!
Old 11/12/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Actually the 29 is not a nano so your throne is safe for now. I did end up buying that red headed goby for the nano. Awesome fish.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I thought nano in the saltwater world was anything under like 60 gallons or something.
Old 11/12/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shelbiesdaddy
Actually the 29 is not a nano so your throne is safe for now. I did end up buying that red headed goby for the nano. Awesome fish.
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh! I thought they had sold one. I went in and there was only one left; I think there were two originally? They are awesome looking little fish. I just worked on aquascaping my 12 this morning. And yeah, I thought anything smaller than a 55g was considered to be a nano tank?
Old 11/12/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

From nano-reef.com
Quote:
Nano Reef

A small reef aquarium, generally 20 gallons or less. Also known as nanoreef or nano-reef.
There is also a whole line of self contained "cubes" that are called nanos.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

I disagree with the 29 gallon not being a nano tank.

JBJ's 28 gallon is listed as a nano, and Oceanic's 29 gallon is listed as a nano.

In fact I thought that red seas 34 gallon self contained set up was actually listed as a nano too, but I am not sure.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tylt33
Arghhhhhhhhhhhh! I thought they had sold one. I went in and there was only one left; I think there were two originally? They are awesome looking little fish. I just worked on aquascaping my 12 this morning. And yeah, I thought anything smaller than a 55g was considered to be a nano tank?
If they weren't so pricey I would get more. They are fairly easy to breed and are way cool.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted

JBJ's 28 gallon is listed as a nano, and Oceanic's 29 gallon is listed as a nano.

In fact I thought that red seas 34 gallon self contained set up was actually listed as a nano too, but I am not sure.
Yeah, I have the Red Sea tank, and it is a nano.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
From nano-reef.com

There is also a whole line of self contained "cubes" that are called nanos.
Nano means "small" so it's in relation to the size of the tank rather then whether or not it self-contained. I have a 12g Aquapod and a 34g Red Sea... Both are self-contained, but I think they're labeled "nano" due to their size.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Well since I have two 55's as well I guess I am the Nano king.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Well since I have two 55's as well I guess I am the Nano king.
Nano only applies to 54g and under!!!!!!!!!

No one will take my kingship from meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Old 11/12/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

by taking the measurements one is actually 51 the other 54 so I still have it.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Twisted

Those are all what I would call a cube. I meant that mine was not a nano as it is a 29g long with a 10g sump and a 20g fuge. Ahh, if only Mike was around to set us all straight.
Old 11/14/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Wow here's a perfect example of how we're drifting off-topic (YEAH this is the thread police here)...

See new post...

Thanks, Chris
Old 11/14/2007, 02:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by boviac
Wow here's a perfect example of how we're drifting off-topic (YEAH this is the thread police here)...

See new post...

Thanks, Chris
You'll never edit me alive forum copper!

Old 11/14/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

To hopefully get us back on topic... Sort of.....

I had a really good experience with Reef Connections the past couple times I've been into their new store. They've been really helpful in helping me with some of the questions I have regarding livestock and different ways I can set things up. I noticed today that they also got in a ton of new fish and some new corals too so hopefully they got some cool new ones....

Just figured I would share my good experience with them as I feel those are more beneficial than any small problems you could have otherwise.
Old 11/14/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

where's petworks at?