Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

54 bowfront corner stand build

First post. Thought I would start out with my corner stand build that I have been working on the last couple of weeks.

Been lurking and plotting and planning for about 2 months now. I have a brackish with mono sabae and am planning on converting to salt once I get my setup complete.

First thing I needed was a stand as the used tank I bought didn't have one. It currently is in a corner braced up on cinders.

Had to complete the stand and hood first. Then on to plumbing, sump and lights. need a skimmer and want to add a fuge as well. Also need an RO unit. I have a long way to go but one thing at a time. guess I will start here with my build.

I used 3/4" ply top and bottom. framed 3 corners with 2x4s and used 2x2s in between to conserve weight. placed 1xs half way up horizontally for additional support and as an attachment for the Oak face. The horizontal cross beams were tricky as they had to be sanded to the correct arc.

I used 4" wide 1/4" thick inch red oak for the face and door. bent to the curve. The door was a bit tricky. I framed it to shape first then glued on the oak slats. Then heat bent the top trim and the bottom rail trim. sanded her all down finished up with red oak stain and spar varnish. Check out the cool handle I found at lowe's as well.

Wont move the tank until I have a hood, sump and the rest setup and ready for salt conversion. Might be a couple more months as I might have to build a sump and the tank needs drilling as well. I think the sump is going to be tricky as space in the stand is limited and strange shaped. If anyone out there has good ideas for corner stand sumps chime in. Hopefully by christmas will have an operational salt tank at least full of water and running. Seems like a good winter project anyway.

Hopefully the pics will load.... first time.

Enjoy. Any questions let me know. Let me know if you think it wont support the weight as well.... tho it is a bit late now. will find out the hard way I guess if it wont.
Old 11/11/2007, 09:41 PM
Premium Member

looks great! wish I could take the time to do that w/ wood. Keep up the good work!

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 11/11/2007, 10:52 PM
Registered Member

Wow looks great an by the way.
[welcome]
Old 11/12/2007, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Looks good but 1 door is kind of tight to get to the inside here is my 36 24 inch rad. all DIY

Old 11/12/2007, 10:58 AM
Registered Member

Wow. wish I would have seen yours before constructing mine. Bit late now. I wondered about access. I like the rounded look but I see the benefit of additional access. Nice Job! Maybe next tank will have to add additional doors. I like you hood as well. I planned on making mine hinge up at front. but I like your design.

What size tank is this. cant tell from your description. is that 24" on each side and 36 across the front? or 36 gal? forgive the newbie.

Thanks for the sump ideas. helps to see someones elses setup. Was thinking about something simular but not the skimmer in front as that would block my access with only one door.

What size tanks are you using down below for fuge and sump?

BTW I also like the insulation idea. Keep the noise down much?

thanks,
n2
Old 11/12/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member.

wow awesome
Old 11/12/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

where did you pick up the tank from...been wanting to do a corner bowfront for my bedroom but cant find them anywhere.very nice stand by the way
Old 11/12/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Yea I had to look for a while to find a reasonable one used. Found it on craigs list. drove about 3 hrs to get it. not too bad a deal. not salt ready but it was 200$ for tanks, hot mag filter, bio filter, 4 fish, lighting, a ton of plastic plants, some structure and substrate.

I would say keep your eye on craigs list. they come up now and again. saw one the other day 54 gal for 100$ in releigh... now that I have mine. figures.

n2
Old 11/12/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

This is going to sound like a smart-aleck question no matter how I word it, so please let me first say I don't mean to sound mean or negative in any way.

The stand looks great, very nicely done. But I'm curious....the stand looks almost identical to those sold in fish stores, with the same functionality (single door, limited access, height, etc) so why did you go through the trouble to build? Maybe you're like me, and just love woodworking. It appears that way from seeing all your tools in the pics!
Old 11/12/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

2everything
the tank is 36gal sump and fudge 10 each fudge is drilled half way for bulkhead water runs to sump there I have 5 dividers to reduce bubbles just recently I added maxijet 900 for more flow thru fudge insulation is great since the tank is in the badroom difference in noise between open and closed doors is huge also return pump mag 7 is conected with flex spa and suspended in water by big rubber band to minimize vibrations

here is an idea for top section ( old skimmer ) I have full back behind the tank so canopy rests on the stand and not the tank

Old 11/12/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

rededge,
round here all I could find for stands was the crappy particle board junk for round 300 bones. I figured a solid stand with oak face would run 5 or 6 hundred. forget it. For 100$ I figured I could do better. and yes I like building my own projects and working with wood. No insult taken.

Kura -
guess I could have figured out your specs if I would have read your signature. Thanks tho. Think If I would have seen your setup sooner I would have incorporated some more of your ideas into my design. I Like your setup. Too late to do the hood balanced on the bottom stand I think only have about 1/2" overhang round the sides. May work though will have to check it out. Like that idea better than the tank taking the weight. worried if I do that tho the hood might slip and fall if not perm attached. will check it out. Will def be using your insulation and sump fuge ideas. thanks.

n2
Old 11/12/2007, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

kuramura,

Thats a really nice setup. Can we get a picture of the stand with the doors closed?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!