Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 12:48 AM
Premium Member

Juice suck'n GIGAS

So I bought a 4 " gigas one year ago this december he was between 3 and 4 inches, today he's between 10 and 11 inches I thought that the Gigas only grew around 4-6 inches a year? My calcium demands have doubled since Iv'e had this guy I had to buy another Reactor to keep up with him, I dont have a new pic of him today (he's sleeping) but I can take one tomorrow if anyones interested.
Old 11/11/2007, 12:52 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

This thread is worthless without pictures!!!!
Old 11/11/2007, 01:01 AM
Premium Member

I know and the wife calls me "PICTURE GUY" too, I even took a picture of my sons first poop....................................ah, anyways does anyone have an answer?
Old 11/11/2007, 01:09 AM
Team RC Member

Re: Juice suck'n GIGAS

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
So I bought a 4 " gigas one year ago this december he was between 3 and 4 inches, today he's between 10 and 11 inches I thought that the Gigas only grew around 4-6 inches a year?
if this is your question, there max reported growth rate is about 4.4" per year

------------------------------------------------
Old 11/11/2007, 01:18 AM
Premium Member

Here are some pics of him when I got him on Dec 31 of 06 and here he is on may 3 of 07, Tomorrow I will post some pics of him now. 4 inch to 10 or 11 is kind of extreem don't you think?
Old 11/11/2007, 01:24 AM
Team RC Member

Re: Juice suck'n GIGAS

Quote:
Originally posted by corals b 4 bills
So I bought a 4 " gigas one year ago this december he was between 3 and 4 inches, today he's between 10 and 11 inches I thought that the Gigas only grew around 4-6 inches a year?
im not picking on you but did you measure it when you got it? and have you measured it now?

Old 11/11/2007, 01:30 AM
Premium Member

I'm a General Contractor I can tell if a subfloor is uneven 1/4" off at 10 feet, but if you like I can put a cheepo tape in the water and find out tomorow, and yes it was 4" when I got him. Is this kind of growth unusual?
Old 11/11/2007, 02:16 AM
Team RC Member

relax

Old 11/11/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

every clam has its own growth rate. all text are reported averages. ur clam must be lovin it
Old 11/11/2007, 06:26 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

11" x 8" x 8" x 10 lbs. This is my derasa. About 5 years old.

Old 11/11/2007, 07:27 AM
Premium Member

I always wanted a giant clam but he's kind of freeking me out......Two things, one I'm afraid of losing him someday. and two, I'm afraid of losing him someday......if he dies he will wipe out my tank. (I love this little....uh, er big guy, sob).
Old 11/11/2007, 07:01 PM
Boomer gave me this

Like all living things they each have different growth rates. There will always be the averages and the exceptions. Think basketball players vs: jockeys.
You have a BBall player there Unless you have a small tank why worry?
C

Oh Yeah and if it was 4 inches a year ago and now 10 inches thats 6 inches of growth per year just like you thought is was supposed to be so your concern really doesn't make any sense to me
Old 11/12/2007, 12:28 AM
Premium Member

Here are the pic's of ma-clam, I couldn't hold a tape, hold him, and take a picture at the same time but he measured 10" from shell to shell he's just chill'n so with this guy growing like a weed and consuming most of the tanks calcium (incl. the coraline)what can I expect in the future in the way of being able to keep more clams?
Old 11/12/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

He looks happy and healthy
Old 11/12/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

I'm shooting for the Waikiki clam size, Iv'e seen this clam in the out door tank that's why I own this little guy, I'll be visiting him again in January.
Old 11/12/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

How old is that one? 20+ years correct?Your off to a great start.LOL
Old 11/12/2007, 01:41 AM
Premium Member

I know I'm impatient but this is ridiculous! I bought him at my LFS for 25 bucks because his color was bleaching away so I figured that I would give him a home.......I didn't think it was my home! I can't wait for his shell to twist up a little more like the squamies, his coloring and blue dots are getting darker too. I'm sure in 3-4 more months I will have to remove thirty pounds of live rock to give him more space.
Old 11/12/2007, 03:30 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I would say with your calcium reactor you will be just fine with the calcium it's gonna eat up. Maybe some tweeking here and there.
Old 11/12/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

If you give less calcium for it will grow a little slower. I have 2 gigas 7 inch each ( I guess) in my 120 tank. You saw the pics in my other thread. They grow about 3 inches this year, but they have to compete with the other 10 clams in the tank. I did lose a 20 inch sqamosa once, but when they go down hill, you just have to take them out for they completely die. I think its ok to add other clams and its doing well, so I wouldn't worry too much. ( except for space) I may need to move or sell one of my gigas soon for space too. I bought two, because I thought one was heading down hill. Oh well both made it ok.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 11/12/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Hey! your arnold! Iv'e been talking to charles about my membership, it looks as if corals b 4 bills will be a BAR member tonite..........O.K. where do we start? huh-where? huh? I'm going to sign up this evening and start coming to meetings and meet the folkes, bring pictures of the fish kids, ect.
Old 11/12/2007, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I am Arnold. What did Charles say about me! : ) anyways you posted on my other thread - My Clam Tank. Welcome to the club. Make sure you get on our members only forum too.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 11/13/2007, 01:12 AM
Premium Member

Hey Apon, well I'm not quite a member yet I tried to sign up to become a member and it told me that my alias was already taken (by me), I went to sign up in may and didn't complete the payment part so the computer thinks I'm a member without privileges, go figure.
Old 11/13/2007, 04:54 PM
Registered Member

My guess is that the paypal didn't get sent yet, then your account will be activated. PM - DSWong01 to find out, he and Charles are handling membership stuff now.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 11/13/2007, 07:51 PM
Premium Member

I sent the paypal $$$ so it's now up to the boys to push this through, how wrong would it be not to be able to use my handle?