Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

dogface puffer question

I'm thinking about getting a dogface puffer for my fowlr. I've heard they have teeth...that they don't have teeth but a beak-like mouth...

My question is will they need to eat hard shelled snails and crabs to keep their teeth filed down?

Also, we have a 5" spiny blue lobster in there...would he bother that?
Old 11/10/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Yes and most likely yes. Puffers do require hard foods to help break/grind down their teeth. He also will most likely eat the lobster.
Old 11/11/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I wouldn't really consider it with a lobster. That is part of their natural diet. I feed mine oysters and shell on shrimp and other stuff, and his teeth stay filed down, he likes to chew on the oyster shell. Kinda like a hamster. How big is your tank?
Old 11/11/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

yeah...as much as we'd like one it sounds like it's not a good idea. thanks for the input!
Old 11/11/2007, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

oh, forgot...125 g
Old 11/11/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

well, personally I'd get rid of the lobster and get the fish, Dogfaces are awesome fish.
Old 11/11/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

On the subject to puffer diets, what are the chances of one eating soft corals, There is a really cool one at a LFS in town but my only tank for it has some cabbege coral and kenya trees. I was wondering if it would bother them or not.
Old 11/11/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vezina345
On the subject to puffer diets, what are the chances of one eating soft corals, There is a really cool one at a LFS in town but my only tank for it has some cabbege coral and kenya trees. I was wondering if it would bother them or not.
Most do. They chew on everything. IT is like having a dog.
Old 11/11/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

That's what I thought but wanted to check. Thanks.
Old 11/11/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Get rid of the lobster and get the fish...if you keep the lobster expect it to be fish food.

But seriously, get the puffer. They have more personality than any other fish available. He'll be waiting for you to show up and want you to pet him or hand feed him. Spit water at you when you open the top. Many people pet their puffers.

Doesn't just look like a dog, he acts like one too. He'll quickly be your favorite fish ever.

My kids thought my dogface was kinda ugly when I first got him. Like a little slug. Hence the name "sluggo"...but now they LOVE him and he's easily everyone's favorite character in the tank.
Old 11/11/2007, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

I agree with everyone else get rid of the lobster and get the puffer... when I got mine my girlfriend thought he was ugly also now it is her favorite fish
Old 11/11/2007, 08:26 PM
Moved On

Most Arothron's will chew on the live rock in the Fowler's. That will aid in keeping their four teeth trimmed down. Our dogfaces and stars and stripes have never had problems with their teeth as long as there are plenty of good munchies to chew on on the rocks. The chitinous foods such as shrimp shells really aren't too effective at wearing down their teeth. They need harder materials like clam, scallop and mussel shells. He should be fine though in a FOWLR!

Good Luck!