Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/10/2007, 07:19 AM
10 & Over Club

Christmas came early this year!

No idea what this is, other than it seems to be a tabling Acropora. It came in as a tan/yellowish ugly aquacultured colony and then under my lighting (400W 20,000K Helios) it morphed into this. The pictures really don't do it any justice, but thought I'd share as I've never seen a green Acropora with red polyps before. Makes me think of a Christmas tree!

Ho ho ho!
Old 11/10/2007, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

Very nice, Santa! How long has it been in your system?
This is the tale that was told to me by the man with the crystal eye, As I smoked my pipe in the camp-fire light, and the Glories swept the sky; As the Northlights gleamed and curved and streamed, and the bottle of "hooch" was dry. -Robert Service
Old 11/10/2007, 07:56 AM
10 & Over Club

I had to go back and double check it against my school thread over on WAMAS... I put this into the system at the end of September and it was yellowish tan. I then watched it develop for a few weeks and then had a really busy week in which I pretty much ignored it and when I looked the other day, it was like this. It looks nothing at all like the other one as the polyps are at least 10x the size they were. I'm guessing that it got burned at some point and the polyps just recovered.
Old 11/10/2007, 09:04 AM
10 & Over Club

A close up.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Very nice! I'll take a wild guess and say that this looks to me like an A. Sarmentosa. If it is, those tips will eventually be hot pink!

Sorry I know this is not the ID forum.
Old 11/10/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

Yep. very nice sarmentosa.
Old 11/10/2007, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

Did you get that from Dr. Mac's? I have the same piece. Bought it, like you saod, as a tannish piece with the slightest hint of pink on the tips. Now it looks the same as yours. I'd have to try to get a picture to post.
tom
Old 11/10/2007, 09:55 PM
10 & Over Club

Nope, got it at Blue Ribbon Koi in Manassas, VA. I did, however, see Dr. Mac tonight at our local meeting. He brought some great stuff out with him but I ran out of money... I'd be interested in seeing your piece.

As far as identifying it here, no problem! I posted in the ID forum as well but no one has responded there. So, if it's a sarmentosa, why do you say it will develop pink tips? Do they typically grow with that pattern at the tips or is that what you've seen this particular one grow into before?
Old 11/11/2007, 07:38 PM
Premium Member

Here is the picture of mine. Not quite as deep of colors as yours, but it's getting there. Only about a month in my system.

Old 11/11/2007, 07:58 PM
clownfish fan

Old 11/11/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

I think it's a sarmentosa. I don't see the pink tip though and that may be from not enough lighting. Mine grew into a nice table.