Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/08/2007, 08:32 PM
Registered Member

Mini-carpet anenome?

My friends were telling me that a new "in" thing is a miniature type of carpet anenome. He said it behaves very much like a giant mushroom, and affixes itself and doesn't move much. He also said they have a ton of colors. Anyone have any luck? Have a good online supplier I could check out? thanks in advance.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 11/08/2007, 08:35 PM
yes it's my aquarium

mini carpets are the new "in" thing, eh?
kewl.

Hint: use Stichodactyla tapetum in your searches.
Old 11/08/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Stichodactyla tapetum
Old 11/08/2007, 08:45 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
mini carpets are the new "in" thing, eh?
kewl.

Hint: use Stichodactyla tapetum in your searches.
LOL

btw, gary is a former czar of mini-carpets
Old 11/08/2007, 08:47 PM
yes it's my aquarium

I still have 'em but I'm not parting with any right now. I can share some pictures if you'd like
Old 11/08/2007, 09:01 PM
*Pico Freak*

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
I still have 'em but I'm not parting with any right now. I can share some pictures if you'd like
Throw some up dude.

-Chris-
Old 11/08/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

yea, yea...I figured that I would sound dumb, and that most people here would have been long time fans/keepers of something like this. Whatcha' gonna do. Oh well.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 11/08/2007, 09:15 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Old 11/08/2007, 09:18 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by PogoMonogo
yea, yea...I figured that I would sound dumb, and that most people here would have been long time fans/keepers of something like this. Whatcha' gonna do. Oh well.
you don't sound dumb and most people here have never even heard of these anemones
Old 11/08/2007, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

gary, do you still have pics of the mini-mini ones?
Old 11/08/2007, 09:41 PM
yes it's my aquarium

yes. Here's a "mini" surrounded by the tentacles of a blue Haddon's carpet anemone

and a small cluster of them
Old 11/08/2007, 09:42 PM
Premium Member

I've got a couple that are still hanging out in my system that originated up your way. jcanute had quite a few for a while....
Old 11/08/2007, 09:46 PM
Premium Member

so where are the mini clowns?
Old 11/08/2007, 09:53 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Neurotech
so where are the mini clowns?
I don't raise 'em anymore

I've never seen any Clownfish host in a mini (or "maxi mini") carpet anemone. If anyone has, I'd love to see a pic.

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 11/08/2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11/09/2007, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

yea, they're as pretty as was described to me. Really neat animal.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 11/09/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Got my mini carpets from Gary right here on RC just 2 years ago, and he was a pleasure to deal with. Then, some major "AH" tried to take advantage of the situation and as far as I know that was the end of it. No body should have to deal with the crap that was being dished out to Gary. My original 3 have grown and multiplied and I've accidently given some away on frags and corals but the recipients didn't really care about them (now that's sad) and lost them. I count mine almost every day and target feed them bits of fish about once a week. I love them! No one I've spoken to has ever seen or heard of them. Sorry, but I'm hanging on to mine for now. Thanks Gary.
Old 11/09/2007, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Dude... was that a tail sticking out of that anemone..?

Quote:
Old 11/09/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mildew
Got my mini carpets from Gary right here on RC just 2 years ago, and he was a pleasure to deal with. Then, some major "AH" tried to take advantage of the situation and as far as I know that was the end of it. No body should have to deal with the crap that was being dished out to Gary. My original 3 have grown and multiplied and I've accidently given some away on frags and corals but the recipients didn't really care about them (now that's sad) and lost them. I count mine almost every day and target feed them bits of fish about once a week. I love them! No one I've spoken to has ever seen or heard of them. Sorry, but I'm hanging on to mine for now. Thanks Gary.
nah, thats good to hear. I hate when someone tries to do something nice, and the act is disregarded or disrespected. Its cool that you cherish them so much.
◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲◤
MY FISH TANK
Old 11/09/2007, 10:43 PM
reef aquarium god

i bought some from gary a few years ago also but had to sell them when i broke down the tank due to a move. i have been trying to get my hands on a few for the new tank, and it seems noone will part with any!
-mike
Old 11/10/2007, 08:07 AM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by MrSpiffy
Dude... was that a tail sticking out of that anemone..?
Yep. These are anemones. They can possibly eat small fishes. That's a silverside (feeder fish).
Old 11/10/2007, 08:30 AM
Set it up

Gary Majchrzak

Wow how big do they get?
Do they split a lot?
Do they move around or stick to a place they like?
Old 11/10/2007, 10:58 AM
yes it's my aquarium

"Maxi mini" S. tapetum are the larger morph. They can get about 5"- 6" diameter and don't split as frequently as the small varieties (as a a matter of fact, I've never had a maxi split on me by itself). These guys don't move around much either (IME).

Minis get about 2" diameter maximum and usually self divide around that size. They move around frequently (IME) and are very prone to forming small stands or clusters.

I found a pic of a mini splitting. They usually do this under the cover of darkness. These pix (taken through the aquarium glass with the anemone attached to it) show the pink foot and underside of these anemones.

photo by Mitchell used with permission

Last edited by Gary Majchrzak; 11/10/2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:10 AM
Set it up

Thank you very much for the info.

I was thinking of adding a large carpet to my 180g but now might just go with the Maxi mini very beautiful creature!
Old 11/10/2007, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

I've watched the minis divide in my tank. They just sort of pinched in in the middle, formed a figure "8" and then pulled apart. It didn't take very long at all. Really fascinating. Good luck to you guys hunting for them. As for moving around, I've had some stuck in the same place for 2 years. Gary, you never would tell us how to get them off the rocks. They really stick tight. Are you willing to share that info now? Thanks.
Old 11/10/2007, 11:47 AM
saltwater in my veins

Cool, I have a couple that hitched into my tank. None have gotten larger than .5 inches and I could not find them for awhile, thought they were gone.

I have seen two recently and they are finally staying put ina spot with good light. Hope they grow and get colorfull, all I can see ATM is they are mostly green.