Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Question Any advices for a small reef tank set up?

I am thinking of buying a 25g-30g tank to be a reef tank but I don't know if I need a sump or skimmer for it. It would be so small that I think it would not fit a sump tank . If anyone has any advices or suggestion of how to set up sucessful small reef tank, please let me know. The only thing that I know is the lighting system for the tank but as far as filter, sump and skimmer for it..I have no idea. Thanks in advances.

Last edited by kttsf; 11/05/2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11/05/2007, 06:24 PM
NaH2O

I suppose in my own experience, the use of a skimmer never hurt anything. Of course, it also winds down to what kind of bio-load your pulling in the tank yanno?
Even if it is a cheaper skimmer, a skimmer is better than no skimmer. Plus the use of one may aid in keeping water quality optimal...later on down the line, you may be grateful you had one on your tank.
Just my .02

cheers
Old 11/05/2007, 07:09 PM
Registered Member

defaintly do a sump and skimmer if you can, it will help you in many ways. Try to get the most powerful skimmer your money can buy. Maybe even set up a refugium in your sump.
20 gallon sump
2 x MJ 900's on a wave maker
2 x 75 watt VHO actinics
asm G-1x skimmer
running --carbon, purigen, phosban
Old 11/07/2007, 02:45 AM
Tailspot Blenny

if you're over 20 gallons I'd suggest a skimmer. The tunze 9002 is really good for small tanks that size =) completely silent too.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:57 AM
Premium Member

Don't over stock it and keep it simple.
Old 11/07/2007, 09:37 AM
Registered Member

i have a 29 gallon. i drilled the bottom corner and had an overflow made at tap plastic. have a 10 gallon sump with a skimmer/ heater in it.

i had a 20 gallon before with no overflow and this is so much better at keeping my tank clean its rediculous.
Old 11/07/2007, 11:40 AM
Moved On

i saw this and got hooked to reef.

20 gallon glass 24 in one. and with a aquaclear 110 hang on filter. (mod the filter so it becomes a sump) and after that run 2 coralife 65 watt bulbs.

the aquaclear will provide enough movement so you probably don't need a power head (depending on you rock formation too).

the light you will be able to grow anykind of coral you won't need a skimmer if you change water every week 10-15% that only like 2 gal. and

that it. the tank that i saw was awesome. wish i got a pic. i like this better than nano cuz you get to pic the light and stuff but nano are really cool looking.

sleepyz415

the mod aquaclear you can search DIY on reefcentral and find it. good luck

the person only had 3 sm fishes.
Old 11/07/2007, 12:09 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Brandon, I'm scalling down to a 37cube and will be running my MCE600 for it. Shoot you can run even a CPR with a small tank and still get good results.

" Charles V "
Old 11/07/2007, 01:46 PM
Premium Member

I am building a 40 breeder for my brother. What I am doing is build a false background out of plexi and making room for a refugium, bubble traps, and room for a huge pump split to 2 returns with locline. So pretty much I am making it into a DIY All-In-One like a jbj Nano Cube
Old 11/07/2007, 02:05 PM
Premium Member

Old 11/07/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I guess a JBJ nano is much easier.
Old 11/07/2007, 02:32 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

I would have gone for the Redsea 34 cube or JBJ MH 29 cube but with all the filtration system additions your actually getting way less in cubic Gallons

" Charles V "
Old 11/07/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

Charles,

I already have a 25 tru-vu cube tank with canopy and stand that was using for fresh but I want to turn it into saltwater reef tank with a pair of false clown and rbta. I just not sure how to add skimmer, sump to the tank.
Old 11/07/2007, 03:47 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

Just get a HOB like mine. U can even do like the formentioned CPR modded MJ1200, a typhoon or other types of HOB skimmers. But 1 thing about smaller tanks, less room for error or changes in environment compared to a larger tank. Its less forgiving, like when a fish dies, takes nutrients longer to mess with your tank than a smaller tank.

You also have to really keep up with top offs.. have a big batch ready to do topoffs often.

" Charles V "
Old 11/07/2007, 03:48 PM
Tailspot Blenny

make sure you have room for an ATO of some sort. salinity fluctuations in a small tank are never good =/