Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Question Bellus Angels

I'm very interested in buying a Paired Bellus Angel from my LFS. I have a 90 gallon mixed reef (3x2x2). Could you guys share your experience about these Bellus?

Are they reef safe? How hardy are they?

The only fish that I have in the tank right now is a Flame.

Thank you!
Old 11/05/2007, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

I have a female Bellus in my reef; added her 2 weeks ago. She hasn't picked on any thing. (I have SPS, LPS, zoa's, a clam, shrooms, shrimp, hermits and snails in the tank) Just yesterday I saw her half-hearted run through my school of 3 Bangaii Cardinals, but that's it. So I'd give you a full-on thumbs up on Bellus Angels.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

I have a pair in my 120, these are extremely active fish. You may also want to keep in mind that they can get pretty large for an angel. My male is 5", the female 3", the males tend to be a little more on the fragile side, and mine has gone through phases of picking on my clams and gorgonians every now and again. From what I have read these cases of picking are few and far between. Great Fish!
Old 11/05/2007, 04:36 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Genicanthus are planktivores unlike other marine angels, so they have as likely of a chance to nip as other planktivores...

like clownfish.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

What is a fair price for a pair? My LFS is asking $225.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:50 PM
Tailspot Blenny

that's a fair price, especially for a LFS =)

Healthy females can go for $130 or so (see liveaquaria), males maybe $30 more. So for a pair, that's not bad at all.

watch for swim bladder problems!
Old 11/05/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

What are swim bladder problems?

Along with the flame...the only other fish that I will add is an Achilles. Do you forsee any territorial problems?
Old 11/05/2007, 05:28 PM
Tailspot Blenny

when fish are decompressed improperly, their swim bladders are damaged and they cannot control buoyancy I believe. They eventually die. Genicanthus are well known to have this problem when incorrectly collected or if they had problems when they were collected.

Those two fish may not like the addition, but bellus tend to ignore non genicanthus species.
Old 11/05/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

The paired that I saw yesterday...the Female was eating great. The Male ate, but wasn't attacking the food like the Female. He also, didn't swim as freely/active as the Female.

I hope to get as much inputs as I can before I throw in $225.

Are these easily prone to Ick? When I had my 225 gallons, I had great experience with Watanabei's. I guess that the care for these Bellus will be similar to the Watanabei?
Old 11/05/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Just a note on the achilles: they should definatetly not be put in a 90 gallon. Although some may argue that no tang should be put in a 90 gallon, I am not necessarily one of those guys, but an Achilles needs a lot more room. Very avid swimmers, and also need a lot of flow. Makes sure you do your research before you get one because they have horrible track records. I have kept many tangs and this by far is the most difficult fish I have ever owned. It will be a long time before I try again, and only under certain conditions.
Old 11/05/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

k, no Achilles.:-)
Old 11/05/2007, 06:00 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Yeah, achilles wasn't something I'd recommend either, but didn't want to throw this thread off topic.

Swim bladder is not eating or not eating. They can be fat and eat like pigs, but swim bladder is something different.

If you see them struggling to stay "down" in the water, like they're bobbing up and down, flapping and swimming to keep themselves from floating to the surface, that's a clear sign of it.

My LFS is/has been holding a female bellus for me for 3+ months now. I'll be picking her up in about another 3 months.