Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do I do?
Keep it 38 62.30%
Give it away 12 19.67%
Look for months for the owner 5 8.20%
Hope there is a reward 6 9.84%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11/02/2007, 10:47 AM
Registered Member

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 11/02/2007, 10:47 AM
Just say no to DSB

I think the pedigree will be fine for a while - they have pretty high energy levels and need quality food, but now anything is good. They also seem to have sensitive systems so watch out for the runs and if you keep her and switch food, do it slowly by mixing them.
They make all sorts of nice smelling shampoos and mid week sprays for little dogs. A bath once a week is fine on a normal basis, but a couple extra untill the smell gets out is fine for now, just make sure you dry her well - they get softest with the hairdryer and constant combing. The bigest problem is her skin drying out too much from the over bathing, but a few to get the smell out will be fine.
http://www.ecoanimal.com/dogshampoo.html
http://www.ecoanimal.com/spritz.html

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin
Old 11/02/2007, 10:57 AM
Simply Complicated

I have that shampoo LOL. I got banana walnut. Maybe tomorrow he'll get another bath then. It would be nice to get rid of that stink. So far the poop is solid so that's good. Does pretty good with being in a crate and is getting use to the leash. When it barks, only when the others bark, it scares me. I'm not use to it being here and it's so quiet in general.

Tour, I am trying to find the owner, I'm glad your friend got his dog back. I just hope that the owner is found with in the next few weeks.

BIG QUESTION ON LEAGAL AND MORAL RIGHT THING TO DO HERE:

If I keep the dog for a month and get it neutered and then an owner shows up after that am I in trouble?

Last edited by Aliie; 11/02/2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11/02/2007, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

nope. you are not. If you go out an neuter it tomorrow then maybe. but if you are providing reasonable care for it, then I think neutering falls under that. If it were to go to any shelter/rescue they would neuter him first thing anyway.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 11/02/2007, 11:16 AM
Simply Complicated

Figured you might know Em. I have issues with giving him away even without having him neutered. There are so many animals that need homes so I'm not fond of just making more for money, but I'm not bashing proper breeders. I would hate for him to end up only as a breeder and not loved. He's sweet and has made major changes in just two days in the way he acts. He now will lick your face and wag his nubby tail.
Old 11/02/2007, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Allie,
I have a pure bred dane that was running around stone mountain. That dog was in bad shape at the time she was found. I had just lost my oldest dane a few months before. One of my friends, who does rescue, asked me to foster her. I did and ended up keeping her. She wasn't chipped either.

The way I look at it, whoever her previous owner was did a horrible job taking care of her. She was obviously starved for attention. She had worms and sores on all of her joints. There was a mark on her neck where her old collar was because it was so tight. It took months for that collar indent to go away.

Well, she's chipped and spayed now. And she is still mine two years later. I don't think it was by accident that she was straying from her previous home. I think she got the heck out of dodge because she knew there was a better place for her to be.

Pick a date when you will stop looking for the owner and decide the dog is yours. When that date comes, pull down the flyers, make an appointment to have him neutered and chipped. Also, you will have to figure out what proof someone should have for a dog is theirs. In my case, my dog has obvious markings so a photo would be easy. In your case, it might not be so easy to decipher a photo of a similar dog from yours.

Good luck. He's a cutie!
Old 11/02/2007, 12:21 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Aliie
I have that shampoo LOL. I got banana walnut. Maybe tomorrow he'll get another bath then. It would be nice to get rid of that stink. So far the poop is solid so that's good. Does pretty good with being in a crate and is getting use to the leash. When it barks, only when the others bark, it scares me. I'm not use to it being here and it's so quiet in general.

Tour, I am trying to find the owner, I'm glad your friend got his dog back. I just hope that the owner is found with in the next few weeks.

BIG QUESTION ON LEAGAL AND MORAL RIGHT THING TO DO HERE:

If I keep the dog for a month and get it neutered and then an owner shows up after that am I in trouble?
LOL, I would not think so. You cared for it and did what you thought best for the animal. Heck the pound puts them down sooner than that. Normal people would be grateful for that.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 11/02/2007, 03:09 PM
Registered Member

tourkid-

Who ended up finding the dog or returning it? Was it the people that stole it for breeding so then they got a 5000 dollar reward to boot? If it were my own dog and the people who had stolen it returned it after breeding it, i think that they would go missing.

"I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada." -Britney Spears

Rehab is for quitters.

I like the smell of a particularly ripe fart (only if it is mine).~BrianD
Old 11/02/2007, 04:00 PM
forever newbie

Aliie, keep it for me. I can't have 1 so do it for me. That is, if you need an excuse. Like Debi said, after a week consider it yours.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

I know you just gave him a bath Aliie, but his coat looks awful healthy. I would just be concerned that he got away from his home and is missing his home terribly.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

jj- it was the person who stole it. he was really mad that his male couldent get the girl pregnent... well duh.. the female is fixed. it was a bad situation. but you know how it is, he got his best friend back, he had the money to spare. hes not very violent.

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 11/02/2007, 06:55 PM
All will be well.

This dog came to you because, deep down (like all dogs) it just knew that YOU are the right person to help it and love it and keep it healthy and happy for the rest of its life.
Old 11/04/2007, 05:23 PM
Simply Complicated

Well I have been touring the area looking for flyers and went back to all the vets on Saturday, still nobody looking or asking.
I've had lots of offers for him but still think I should give the owners more time.
It has not been easy having this little critter in the house by no means. I am terrified I'll step on it and when it barks it scares me because I'm not use to it. My heart has stopped about 8 times since Thursday.
He seems to be infatuated with my female Rhodesian Ridgeback who is not impressed, poor fella. This is why I don't have male dogs.
I have gotten it crate trained, finally and am working on house breaking just because he's here and I gotta do something with it. So far only one actually incident.
He has learned must to his disliking how to sit, laydown and stay must to his disapproval. Like to be on the couch but wants to wander around also, I know that's instinct to explore but don't trust him just yet.

I have almost come to the decision that I wont be keeping him. I'm not ready for one even though I want one. I was going to wait for all my other pets to pass on and now I know that will give me time to research and find the one that is right for me.
If no owner is found I an going to contact the 3 ACK registered breeders around here and ask them for help in finding it a proper home.

Hope he will understand that I am doing it for his well being not that I wouldn't love him.
Old 11/04/2007, 06:09 PM
Moved In

Well maybe you'll keep him or maybe not. You may get too attached to part with him. You're doing a good thing by caring for him and that's all that matters. Hopefully if he does have a loving family they will find him. If not, a good family will adopt him.

Old 11/04/2007, 09:21 PM
Simply Complicated

Quote:
Originally posted by dc
Well maybe you'll keep him or maybe not. You may get too attached to part with him. You're doing a good thing by caring for him and that's all that matters. Hopefully if he does have a loving family they will find him. If not, a good family will adopt him.
Most likely not, I'm not getting any kind of attachment to him even ater these few days which is weird for me. It's like I'm watching a friends dog or something. I am guessing it's just to soon after AJ's death for me to start loving another animal. That's pretty lame and not very animal friendly but I can't make myself want him. I think hubby was hoping I would.....just so I wouldn't still be so bent out of shape over AJ. Just over a year ago my Saint Bernard, Cujo and now AJ my cat being gone.........I'm just not ready and I FEEL BAD about it but can't change it.
I wish the owners would hurry and find reunite with him but if not I will make sure I meet the people he goes to. I'm very judgemental about who should get him because of my opinion of what I think he's already been thru.
Old 11/04/2007, 09:30 PM
Moved In

That's not a bad thing Aliie, so don't sweat it. Your time will come and you'll know when you're ready for another companion.

Old 11/04/2007, 09:34 PM
Simply Complicated

Thanks Debi, I needed to hear that more than you can even imagine. I just want the little fella to have a fun and loving home.
Old 11/04/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Aliie, a few months back I was working at a vet clinic in Orlando when a small stray pup was brought in. The poor dog was completely matted, full of worms, and had a cherry eye. I fell in love with the dog's personality and a week later adopted it for my inlaws who had been looking for a dog for a while. I fixed the dog, tacked its cherry eye, dewormed it, vaccinated it and brought it home to her. Two days later it broke with parvo and died. We were all heartborken to loose Chloe. In a very short time we had very much bonded with her. Having Chloe, even if only for a very short time, made my MIL realize how much she missed having a dog around and that she wanted that companionship again.

I think Debi hit the nail on the head. Dogs and cats are truly special creatures that leave foot prints on our hearts. You will know when the time is right.

If you decide that this pup is not for you, please consider my MIL/FIL for a new home. I promise you, he would be the most loved and well cared for dog ever
Old 11/04/2007, 10:09 PM
Simply Complicated

You know I think that's the best offer I've heard yet.

I've steadily heard of I know someone who wants a breeding male or I need to use it for a friends female or even I bet I could get you a lot of money for it. Do these people know this animal has feeling too!!
Old 11/05/2007, 10:41 AM
Registered Member

Aliie - Looks like he lucked out finding you and your family.

I've been thinking about a dog for me but right now I'm not home enough to feel like I could give one the attention they deserve. Good Luck finding his family and if nothing else I'm sure you can hind him a great home.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 11/05/2007, 11:00 AM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Aliie
You know I think that's the best offer I've heard yet.

I've steadily heard of I know someone who wants a breeding male or I need to use it for a friends female or even I bet I could get you a lot of money for it. Do these people know this animal has feeling too!!
LOL, my mail lady wanted to let her breed Rusty with a dog she hadn't even got yet. I told her I didn't do breeding and he would be fixed as soon as I got him an appointment.

Old 11/05/2007, 06:00 PM
Simply Complicated

Maybe I'm missing something. I got a call today about the flyer I posted I was so excited for about a minute they wanted to give me $500 to let them keep him for 3 weeks to mate with their female. Their dog isn't registered and this one isn't either. That just tell me these people are all about the money and aren't pet lovers. I bluntly told the man to.................. well lets just say something along the lines of mating flew out of my mouth.

Then about an hour later I got another call from a woman that claimed it was hers. She lives about 20 min away so that would make it roughly 10 miles away and couldn't tell me which ear of his flopped down. Then I asked her what the micro chip number was and she didn't know what a micro chip was. I'm not an idiot I know people want these dogs and will do anything to get them sometimes. Her next statement was I'll buy him from you for $100 if you change your mind. I hate liars!!

I'm glad we found it and not one of these other people.
Old 11/05/2007, 06:04 PM
Moved In

Ship it to fishyvet and tell everyone it was claimed. I'm not surprised, and you'll get a few more also.

Old 11/05/2007, 06:07 PM
Simply Complicated

Fishyvet and I are talking it over. Nothing firm yet because I feel like I should give it just a tad bit longer for the owner. I don;'t want to feel guilty the day after he's gone and the right person comes forward.
Old 11/05/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

If my Mom wasn't so overwhelmed right now with Dad's therepy I'd tell you I'd drive up and bring him back to them.

Mom would kill me though

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche