Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/01/2007, 04:53 PM
High Plains Drifter

Yeah, its not going to be anything easy, but something has to give. The workers in that country all suffer poverty stricken lives, while the rich get richer. We should track down Jimmy Hoffa and send him over there.... he'd be able to put some fight in 'em
Old 11/01/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Is it painted with lead based paint?

Given some of the Chinese knockoff car parts I have seen, I wouldn't let that thing within 10 feet of my aquarium.
12.21@118mph
46 gallon bowfront (not installed in the car)
Old 11/01/2007, 05:11 PM
Registered Member

I just browsed through SunSun's website. You know what else they make, aside from cutting-edge aquarium products? Skateboards...

http://www.sunsun-china.com/english/...x?kid=80&pid=0

I like the SY-2005. If I was branding that thing, I'd call it the Ultra-Shark-BOOYAH!
Old 11/01/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jackfrost
As I have stated before on the forum.

"CHINA'S LACK OF PATENT OR COPYRIGHT LAW ENFORCEMENT SUCKS"

These guys are amazing ! They have absoloutley ZERO respect for any copyright or patent and our goverment and Europe do nothing to stop them !

I have also heard that they are about to release VORTECH Magnetic knockoffs very soon !

Whats next ?.....Solaris LED lights maybe !

Well said-
Old 11/01/2007, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

knockoff or not, when China makes a cheaper PFO Solaris LED light, I'll be one of the first in line.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB2005
AS long as it looks, smells, and works like a Hydor, NOT interested

Good day.
Yes I hate inexpensive pumps that work well. Shame on Hydor.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:32 PM
Moved On

^^
Old 11/01/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

Much happy good pump you best water moves. Tank livery lucky ace. Animals and fish swam best time. Pump cicumgyrate 360 for water moves complete in tank. Super magnet sticky glass pump stay put.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:11 PM
hookt on fonix

Its not just the cheap labor that make Chinese products cheap. Theres no EPA or any other regulations (besides the Chinese government) to abide by allowing them to make something using practices harmful to workers health and the environment.

Big smoke factory mom nature tree farewell quickest cicumgyrate.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:56 PM
Registered Member

Why do we need a cheaper pump than the Koralias in the first place? If you can't afford those in this hobby, then how the hell are you making it in the first place?

I'd rather spend a bit more on a pump from a company where I know they have some degree of concern for quality control. That really isn't the case with the vast majority of these Chinese knock-offs. I can just see these things rusting or shocking the tank.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by luv951
Much happy good pump you best water moves. Tank livery lucky ace. Animals and fish swam best time. Pump cicumgyrate 360 for water moves complete in tank. Super magnet sticky glass pump stay put.
lmao!

Thou Shalt Love Thy Wrasse
Old 11/02/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

For what it costs to ship one of these over and to add a dedicated 220V socket what are you really going to save $5?

I would like to buy a Garbon dioxide generator though (http://www.sunsun-china.com/english/...id=118&pid=70#)
Old 11/02/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

You are spend too many money on Italy vibration super gyration flow. pump. many garbon dioxide will fix for you. Quality assured for super gyration garbon disperse. Good value you have little monies. we kill your dog okay?

Moi oiy neya okay la?
Old 11/02/2007, 12:49 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe
Why do we need a cheaper pump than the Koralias in the first place? If you can't afford those in this hobby, then how the hell are you making it in the first place?

I'd rather spend a bit more on a pump from a company where I know they have some degree of concern for quality control. That really isn't the case with the vast majority of these Chinese knock-offs. I can just see these things rusting or shocking the tank.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 11/02/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aninjaatemyshoe

And a company that backs it products up and provides retrofitted fixes that address consumer complaints is well worth the extra few bucks.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1241399

That kind of customer service is why it is well worth paying a slightly higher sticker price.
Old 11/02/2007, 01:22 AM
New Aquatronica Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by luv951
I thought this was Yoda speaking for a moment.

Brandon
Old 11/02/2007, 04:49 AM
Our man in the East

I live in Thailand and the LFS over here there is a lot of cheap imitation Chinese goods.
I have, in the past, tried to do it the cheap way and have purchased such goods. Now I don't. All the stuff looks good but a lot doesn't work as well or is not as efficient etc etc. If i saw that product, due to my past experiences, I wouldn't use it.
However...there are a lot of reef / fish keepers in my host country (and China etc) who couldn't possibly contemplate buying Koralia, Tunze etc. so there is a market for such goods for good people. Its a shame that forum users such as aninjaatemyshoe don't realise that Reefkeeping is not purely a hobby of westerners with, in relation, bags of money to help make the Tunze guys richer every day !

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 11/02/2007 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11/02/2007, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShapeGSX
Is it painted with lead based paint?

Given some of the Chinese knockoff car parts I have seen, I wouldn't let that thing within 10 feet of my aquarium.
LMAO-was thinking exactly the same thing. Maybe some lead in the impeller shaft for good measure, and a copper coating on the impeller to prevent algae growth...
Old 11/02/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Talking about QC, who is supposed to reinforce it before allowing those things sold in the US market? Chinese makers or US designers/importers? And how much profit would be cut because of installing their own QC procedures by those companies? Any one have an idea?
Old 11/02/2007, 09:22 AM
Our man in the East

Look...I agree that copyright infringement is not great but to turn this into a Chinese bashing thread is ridiculous and quite frankly offensive. Have you guys not got anything in your homes which is made in Asia. I'm sure most of you are happy to purchase toys for kids from there (seen as 99.9% of toys are made from there).

Last edited by BangkokMatt; 11/02/2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:45 AM
Reefer

I completely agree Matt.

The comments being made in regards to the language barriers, is no different that if some of these "haters" were to come in here screaming N|gger, Wop, Kike, Spic, etc. -- THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE!

The comments by many are nothing more than racist to the extreme... I'm anything but PC, but this crap is absolutely uncalled for.

Signed,

Tim, a guy that was once engaged to a Middle Eastern woman and dealt with language barriers both verbally and written on a daily basis.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

^^ agree.
Oceanrunners are Chinese made so are the new Eheim compact+ pumps.

So are the Ipods and Iphones.

Last edited by Lubu; 11/02/2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NeveSSL
I thought this was Yoda speaking for a moment.

Brandon
Made in China this is. Quality product, it is not! Zero sense 360 circumgyration makes. Buy one, I would not. Damage tank it would. Funny thread this is turning into.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:56 AM
Reefer

Also, in regards to Copyright Infringement, I would be willing to bet that 99% of the people complaining about it in this thread are guilty of it themselves...

If you've ever made a copy of a movie, softeware or music, you're STEALING from the people that created it in the first place. Being a programmer and graphic artist, I battle this crap on a near daily basis, and it isn't happening to me by the Chinese Government, it's happening by the same people that ***** and moan about the Chinese doing it!

Also, we tend to commend many of the people in the DIY forums for having the ability to re-engineer and reverse engineer products when we feel they could be better, so what is the difference..? If you can answer that in a completely honest and ethical manner, you'll be rewarded!

-Tim
Old 11/02/2007, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

Wow...TG...really??? Lighten up.

My father was a first gen in this country and not a native speaker. We have had fun with some of his mispronunciations and mistranslations throughout our lives.

I do not see it as racist, I was in no way saying or implying that I was better than them, or that my race is superior - which is the true basis of racisim. Pointing out funny translations and funny cultural differences is NOT RACISM.

Seriously, they speak better english than I ever will speak chinese. The translations are funny - leave it at that.

Was my above post using Yoda speak offensive as well? Anti-jedi?

All in good fun, man. Sorry you took offense, but I did not mean to offend anyone.

Do any of you remember the episode of the Simpsons where they go to the trash dump and find a bottle of Japanese dish soap with Homer's picture on it. The Mr. Sparkle episode? Same deal - good fun. If you take life so seriously as to be unable to laugh and have fun with cultural differences, than I feel sorry for you. If you take cultural diffences so seriously as to use them as the basis for TRUE racism, then I fell even sorrier still.

Signed,

The son of an Eastern European immigrant who once stormed out of Macy's when the poor girl behind the counter just simply could not understand what he meant when he asked for 'dowdorent' (deodorant). And yes, we teased him about it many times.