Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 09:49 PM
Premium Member

How To Get Rid Of Aiptasia?

Somebody told me that the most effective and easiest way to get rid of aiptasia is peppermint shrimp as long as you do not have anemone in the tank.

Has anyone heard or experienced about it?

James
Old 10/30/2007, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

I mix kalkwasser with some water and then inject it into the aiptasia with a syringe. I have never had good luck with peppermint shrimp. There is also a type of nudi branch that eats aiptasia. Does anyone know the name?

Gerry
Old 10/30/2007, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SPSFiend
I mix kalkwasser with some water and then inject it into the aiptasia with a syringe. I have never had good luck with peppermint shrimp. There is also a type of nudi branch that eats aiptasia. Does anyone know the name?
Berghia nudi branch
www.saltyunderground.com
Old 10/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Unregistered Member

Boiling water works. So does Joe's juice.

The name's Luis. Don't ask.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:31 PM
clams are your friends.

I use Aptasia Control (basically Kalk paste). It's worked quite well for me. Just be careful with the homemade concoctions. There's been some horror stories posted lately.
Old 10/30/2007, 11:59 PM
Premium Member

There are hundreds of aiptasias on over 600 Lbs beautiful huge pieces (60 Lbs. each in average) live tonga and soloman rocks which I bought from a friend and will be put in my new 215G (SPS only) & 92G tanks (LPS, zoas, mushroom), and I don't have time to get aiptasia one by one (actually almost impossible).

Among "peppermint shrimp", "racoon butterfly" and "Berghia nudi branch", which one is better gurantee for the successful removal of aiptasia?

Or just better not to use those beautiful rocks?

James
Old 10/31/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dickenscd
There are hundreds of aiptasias on over 600 Lbs beautiful huge pieces (60 Lbs. each in average) live tonga and soloman rocks which I bought from a friend and will be put in my new 215G (SPS only) & 92G tanks (LPS, zoas, mushroom), and I don't have time to get aiptasia one by one (actually almost impossible).

Among "peppermint shrimp", "racoon butterfly" and "Berghia nudi branch", which one is better gurantee for the successful removal of aiptasia?

Or just better not to use those beautiful rocks?

Read this: http://www.saltyunderground.com/faq.htm

James
Old 10/31/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

As horrid as it sounds, i would plan for a long-term battle. I would get those rocks into a big bin of high flow salt water and literally syringe those bastards one by one.

Problem is, it will wreak havok on your DT and most likely require a few tiers of treatment bins.
Old 10/31/2007, 03:08 AM
Aquarium Addict

My LFS recently was treating some nice live rock that was covered with Aiptasia. I don't know the whole story. They put about 20-25 Peppermint Shrimp in that tank and the next time (5 days?) I was in there the Aiptasia was gone.
Old 10/31/2007, 06:50 AM
compulsive fragomaniac

yeah, I used a pepp squad before. A half dozen wiped a 50 gal clean in a couple weeks, and it was seriously infested with all sizes. I believe the key is to get a few, not just one or two. maybe they get bolder or something in a pack.
Old 10/31/2007, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

It really depends on how big the aiptasia are. Pepp's will nibble the little ones, but they wont touch the big ones....usually!

Here's what I did that worked perfectly! I took some lemon juice, put it in the microwave until it was bubbling...about 40 secs or so. I took a hypodermic needle (asked the pharmicist for one, he gave it to me after I explained what it was for), and put 5 cc of liquid into it, I shot it into the base of the aiptasia. It tries to retreat, but the needle sort of holds it in place until I get all the liquid in. After I pull the needle out, it immediately retreats into its hole, but all withered up. Within 30 minutes, I could barely even see it. The next morning, it was only a memory. I nuked about 3 HUGE ones this way. I was hand feeding them cause I was new to aquariums and didnt know they were bad. They were enormous!
I never had any ill effects on the water whatsoever, and they never came back. I still have 3 more to go, and plan on doing the same thing. I told some other people about it, who tried it, and had similar success.

Hope that helps!
Old 10/31/2007, 09:17 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by todd rose
Berghia nudi branch
www.saltyunderground.com
The above supplier claimed

"Berghia nudibranchs eat only one thing: the dreaded aiptasia anemone, AKA glass or rock anemone (not to be confused with majano anemones). That’s all Berghia eat, nothing else, not one other thing. And, they are completely reef safe. "

Is that true?

James
Old 10/31/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by todd rose
Berghia nudi branch
www.saltyunderground.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above supplier claimed

"Berghia nudibranchs eat only one thing: the dreaded aiptasia anemone, AKA glass or rock anemone (not to be confused with majano anemones). That’s all Berghia eat, nothing else, not one other thing. And, they are completely reef safe. "

Is that true?

If it's true, isn't it the best choice for me?

James
Old 10/31/2007, 11:55 AM
clams are your friends.

It really depends. Any living creature you use is a gamble and it usually takes a lot of them to really "eliminate" a problem. It's like emerald crabs and bubble algae, some may slowly eat it, but it's a lot quicker and more effective to just manually remove them.

There's also an issue of efficacy-- while it's fun to think a new critter can solve a problem in your tank, one predator specimen will probably take weeks or months to clear a major infestation, and in the case of Aptasia, they may reproduce at a greater rate than they are consumed. Putting 50 of these nudibranchs in your tank may be more effective, but you could be looking at an investment of hundreds of dollars and then you have 50 of these things that will die once their food supply is exhausted, which is what you are specifically buying them for-- you want them to run out of food.

If I were you I'd invest a few bucks into a proven product and a couple small tubs. Take the infested rocks out and treat them in the tubs then put them back in the display. Take a couple weekends to do it. Once you've knocked down the mass infestation, put in a few peppermint shrimp to manage ones that reappear.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

As far as peppermint shrimp go, keep in mind that there are 6 different specias of shrimp commonly sold in the hobby as "Peppermint". Only one of the six actually eat aiptasia.
Old 10/31/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seapug
It really depends. Any living creature you use is a gamble and it usually takes a lot of them to really "eliminate" a problem. It's like emerald crabs and bubble algae, some may slowly eat it, but it's a lot quicker and more effective to just manually remove them.

There's also an issue of efficacy-- while it's fun to think a new critter can solve a problem in your tank, one predator specimen will probably take weeks or months to clear a major infestation, and in the case of Aptasia, they may reproduce at a greater rate than they are consumed. Putting 50 of these nudibranchs in your tank may be more effective, but you could be looking at an investment of hundreds of dollars and then you have 50 of these things that will die once their food supply is exhausted, which is what you are specifically buying them for-- you want them to run out of food.

If I were you I'd invest a few bucks into a proven product and a couple small tubs. Take the infested rocks out and treat them in the tubs then put them back in the display. Take a couple weekends to do it. Once you've knocked down the mass infestation, put in a few peppermint shrimp to manage ones that reappear.

ditto
Old 10/31/2007, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Fire and brimstone works well.
Old 10/31/2007, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by plyr58
As far as peppermint shrimp go, keep in mind that there are 6 different specias of shrimp commonly sold in the hobby as "Peppermint". Only one of the six actually eat aiptasia.

Any scientific name for the type of peppermint shrimp you mentioned about?

How can you tell one from the other?

Do you have a picture?

James
Old 10/31/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

Peppermint shrimp will only kill the small anemones: The larger ones you will have to kill yourself. Just gut it out and kill all the anemones with the kalkwasser paste (Joe's Juice, Aiptasia Control). You will probably have to hit them again for the few that make it through along with the ones that reproduce.

Peppermint shrimp will insure that they never come back. They also make a great addition to the cleanup crew.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FOR SALE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/31/2007, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Alot of people (even some LFS's) get the peppermint shrimp mixed up with the camelback shrimp...so be careful!

Old 10/31/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

I had an infestation of aptasia in my 55 gallon reef tank. I went through bottles of Joe’s Juice, and the little buggers is kept coming back. I was really sick of the nuking them on a regular basis. So I went out and purchased 10 peppermint shrimp of various sizes. It is now three weeks later and a tank has mostly cleared up. I hardly ever see the shrimp. I had to be careful not to feed them fish food. Once they eat any kind of fish food, they will stop eating the aptasia. I would simply sprinkle fish food a little bit at a time, making sure very little reached the bottom of the tank. So in my case, the peppermint shrimp have worked out real well.
Old 11/01/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

Yeah they are a great addition to a CUC
Old 11/02/2007, 09:32 AM
Registered Member

I have same problem. Joe juice kills them but they keep coming back. So, I bought 4 peppermint shrimps so hopefully couple of them will start to work.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

I used pickeling lime mixed with water, and injected it onto the aptasia with a syringe. The aptasia was gone within seconds.
Old 11/02/2007, 09:55 AM
RC Sponsor

the problem ive found with injecting them is it seems if there is even a cell left they will grow a new one......You can treat individual rocks in a seperate tank with berghias....Copperband butterflys are a hit or miss if they will eat them or not. Also they have about a 30% survival rate....I havent tried a peppermint shrimp since my fish will eat them.