Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/29/2007, 06:18 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
Hi Grim-
My LFS owner is stetting up a new frag tank at the store. Her vendor only offers Tek lights and G-man bulbs. She is getting the 8 bulb Tek lamp. She said it will be only LPS,Softes, Zoos, no sps. She wants it not have a yellow look, but still allow growth. I was wondering if you could suggest a bulb combination for her using G-man bulbs.

Thanks.
3 Actinic Plus (NOT Pure Actinic)
2 Aquablue
3 Midday

Lotsa blue and good PAR. Should be slighty good and color up good. Should bee good for SPS within 16" of the lamps
Old 10/29/2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nightfall_fish
Heya Grim, wondering if you had time to answer yet another "will it be enough" question.

Thinking about lighting my 90g with just T5's. I do want to keep SPS and Clams. Thinking of going with either 8 or 12, 54w bulbs. Would 8 be enough to keep what I want, or would I "have" to go to 12?
Do 6 with 4 on a Ice Cap ballast so they are overdriven. You cant really fit mor than that over the tank
Old 10/29/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Grim- I'll try and make this the last time I bug you while I flesh out my lighting scheme...

If I go with 2 x 150w DE HQI MH bulbs housed inside a Lumenarc III stealth reflector, flanked by 2 x 54 W T5 on each side, do you think the MH will get washed out by the T5s?
Old 10/29/2007, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
3 Actinic Plus (NOT Pure Actinic)
2 Aquablue
3 Midday

Lotsa blue and good PAR. Should be slighty good and color up good. Should bee good for SPS within 16" of the lamps
Thanks a lot Grim, i'll let her know. I'm glad i asked, i didn't know you could have 3 midday's and not have a yellow look, maybe i need to throw one of them i my set up
Old 10/29/2007, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

4bulb t5 teklight strong enouhg for acro's?

Hi grim,

Do you think the T5 tek light which is 4 HO 39watt bulbs is strong enough for acropora? The acropora will be between 18 and 10 inches underneath the fixture. I will be using two URI aquasun for the two middle bulbs and actinc plus geismanns on the outsides.

Thanks!!

best,
Jared
Old 10/29/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Grim, what do you think about using an aquactinics TX5 over my 40breeder with the intent to keep mostly euphyllias? which bulbs would you recommend?
Old 10/30/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

T5 setup for 50 Bow

Mr Grim,

I am sure the answer is in this thread somewhere but i don't think i'll ever make it to the beginning of this thread!

Just finished building a canopy for my 50 bow. The inside length is exactly 36". Will I be able to fit 36" 39w bulbs in there with icecap endcaps & reflectors, or 24w 2 ft bulbs? I am planning on four lamps if you can offer bulb suggestions as well. For now its just shrooms and zoos, but plan on adding LPS and maybe a clam later. I was looking at using the regular ballasts available from ReefGeek.

tank is currently lit with Normal Output T8 strips from my FOWLR tank.

thanks in advance -- david
Old 10/30/2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by salmon alley
Grim- I'll try and make this the last time I bug you while I flesh out my lighting scheme...

If I go with 2 x 150w DE HQI MH bulbs housed inside a Lumenarc III stealth reflector, flanked by 2 x 54 W T5 on each side, do you think the MH will get washed out by the T5s?
Not really, with 4 T5's I would go with 10K halides and use a combination of Blue Plus and Actinics to add blue to the light.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
Thanks a lot Grim, i'll let her know. I'm glad i asked, i didn't know you could have 3 midday's and not have a yellow look, maybe i need to throw one of them i my set up
Gads the TYPOS!!!! It will look slightly blue.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:24 AM

Re: 4bulb t5 teklight strong enouhg for acro's?

Quote:
Originally posted by beachroadbum
Hi grim,

Do you think the T5 tek light which is 4 HO 39watt bulbs is strong enough for acropora? The acropora will be between 18 and 10 inches underneath the fixture. I will be using two URI aquasun for the two middle bulbs and actinc plus geismanns on the outsides.

Thanks!!

best,
Jared
I'd try to keep them closer to 10 than 18" but you should be OK.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dwd5813
Grim, what do you think about using an aquactinics TX5 over my 40breeder with the intent to keep mostly euphyllias? which bulbs would you recommend?
Should be good. For lamps try

Front
Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue
Blue Plus
Old 10/30/2007, 06:27 AM

Re: T5 setup for 50 Bow

It will be tight but the 39 watt lamps will fit into a 36" space.

For lamps try

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue (or for a more blue look Blue Plus)

Quote:
Originally posted by woganaga
Mr Grim,

I am sure the answer is in this thread somewhere but i don't think i'll ever make it to the beginning of this thread!

Just finished building a canopy for my 50 bow. The inside length is exactly 36". Will I be able to fit 36" 39w bulbs in there with icecap endcaps & reflectors, or 24w 2 ft bulbs? I am planning on four lamps if you can offer bulb suggestions as well. For now its just shrooms and zoos, but plan on adding LPS and maybe a clam later. I was looking at using the regular ballasts available from ReefGeek.

tank is currently lit with Normal Output T8 strips from my FOWLR tank.

thanks in advance -- david
Old 10/30/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

I have to decide, which combo to order?

sps and zoanthid tank.

1.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

2.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

3.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro color
UVL Super actinic

4.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue
UVL Aqua sun
UVL Super actinic

Which combo will look the best?
Old 10/30/2007, 07:06 AM
Premium Member

Thanks Grim!!
Old 10/30/2007, 07:23 AM

If it were mine I would try number 2.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark75
I have to decide, which combo to order?

sps and zoanthid tank.

1.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus

2.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

3.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro color
UVL Super actinic

4.) ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aqua Blue
UVL Aqua sun
UVL Super actinic

Which combo will look the best?
Old 10/30/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

HELLOW GRIM REEFER, I JUST BOUGHT AN ICECAP RETRO T5HO SET UP FOR MY 75 GALLON TANK, ALL I NEED NOW ARE THE LIGHTS BUT I AM CONFUSED WITH ALL THE DIFFERENT TYPE OF BULBS YOU COULD GET.... CAN YOU PLEASE ADVISE ME WICH LIGHT BULBS TO BUY.. I HAVE ROOM FOR 4 LIGHT BULBS. IM INTERESTED IN KEEPING SOME SPS AND LPS. ANY HELP WOULD BE APRECIATED. THANK YOU.
Old 10/30/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

Hi Grim, i want to thank you for all the help you provide on here, your advice is well appreciated.

I currently have 4 Tek T5's over my 75 gal lps/softie tank.
2 11k Aqua Blue
1 Actinic +
1 pure actinic- all G-mann bulbs.

My growth sux so i am buying 2 more T5's from Reef Geek with IC reflectors to add. What 2 bulbs would you add to this system? Any brand is fine. Thanks.

On a side note-
I don't have money to replace the other 4 bulbs right now, but when i do what is the best 6 bulb combo in your opinion. (any brands)
Old 10/30/2007, 05:39 PM
Caribe Piranha

Quote:
The GE or a UVL Aquasun
Grim,

I didn't know Reef Geek still has the ATI Sun Pro, should I replace it with the same bulb or go with 1 of the ones that you suggested?
Old 10/30/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

hey grim,

I am going to be upgrading to a 48 x 24 x 24 120g reef ready and im going to get the 8 bulb 54w tek fixture with individual reflectors. what is the bulb combination i should use for mixed reef and also lots of sps? and what is your view of this fixture?

thanks,

stephen
Old 10/30/2007, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

Replacement bulbs

Just installed 2 t-5 uvl super actinic(normally driven) and am now going to change my vhos to overdiven t-5s which 2 bulbs overdiven to go with the two super actinics i have now? Thanks
Old 10/30/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: T5 setup for 50 Bow

Quote:
It will be tight but the 39 watt lamps will fit into a 36" space.

For lamps try

Blue Plus
Super Actinic
Aquasun
Aquablue (or for a more blue look Blue Plus)
thank you for the guidance! i will let u know how it works out.
I meant to ask as well -- 1) which 2 lamps would i wire together on a single ballast for the dawn/dusk effect? 2) what do you think about the quality of the $50 coralife aqualight double strips - why are they so cheap compared to all the other t5 options?

-david
Old 10/30/2007, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Got a question...

I have a Aquatinics 36" 2x175w 2x39w HO T5 fixture and plan to run the 15k Iwasaki's. Which combo of T5's would best suppliment those bulbs for best pop in coral color and give off a bluer look?
3x Koralia 3's
Litermeter3
Dual stage Ranco controller

Matt
Old 10/30/2007, 08:41 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Question Grim: When you recommend the aquablue, are you talking about the special or plus?

woganaga:

You probably want your super actinic and blue plus on one and aquasun and aquablue on the other ballast for dusk/dawn.

The coralife aqualight double strips are not T5HOs... just regular T5s and are thus cheaper and have much less output.

Brandon
Old 10/30/2007, 08:57 PM
Registered Member

Posted in other section but no response. This is perhaps the better forum for an answer. Getting the 48" aquactinics constellation and I'm setting up a 75g tank, viewable from both sides. It will be a mixed tank of softies and SPS and clams. Can someone give me a recommendation of what 7 bulbs to buy and in what combination they should be set up? Thanks for the help.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

I am in the process of looking for new lights and was told to get a t-5 retrokit. i have a 120-125gal tank its 60x18x25.75 (if my calcs are correct its around 100gals)

what setup should i have? like lights, ballests, etc......