Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/30/2007, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

Bug Bomb?????

My wife wants to do a BUG bomb oh so bad.. Why? I dont know cause she can. My tanks is a 90g with 15 sump and 10 refug, it is a class top 99% covered just a small hole where me ehiem feeder sits. The back of the stand is open and about 2 in away from the wall. I have heard people say ya and na, I have also heard of some one redoing the wood floors with an alcohol based product and caused a bacterial bloom. I wood love some advice from someone who has done it, of from a pro. The house is 2300sq feet and the tank is on the main level and she wants to do in the middle so it will for sure be on near the tank.
Thanks
Old 10/30/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I've never seen a bug bomb that didn't have a warning about fish on it. This should be enough of a clue not to do it.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

The only warning mine has is about keep pets and open food out of air contact. so I was wonderinbg if the glass top would be enough
Old 10/30/2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

The whole point of the fog is to reach every nook and crannie. Even if it doesn't get in...it will probably get on something you forget about like a water change bucket and make its way into the tank.
Old 10/30/2007, 01:10 PM
Registered Member

How bad are the bugs?????

What kind of Bugs????

There may be other more natural methods.

I personally use chemicals as a Last Resort.
Old 10/30/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

I never see bugs, but very rarely she sees a spider or patato bug by the outside door, she just hates bugs!! So I thought I would look into it. it only happens when it starts to get cold outside
Old 10/30/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

I don't think bombing will help

I sure would not do it.
Old 10/30/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

Ok good to have the info.. Thats what I thought but the wife wanted me to ask others if they had done it before
Old 10/30/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

RIOREEFER.

HI. I AM AN EXTERMINATOR AND YES CHEMICALS ARE A LAST RESORT... ESPECIALLY AROUND A REEF TANK. THERE ARE MANY WAYS THAT SHE CAN KEEP THE SPIDERS OUT AND A "BUG BOMB" IS WAAAAY TOO MUCH FOR A SPIDER OR TWO. THE TYPICAL BUG BOMB DISPERSES THE CHEMICAL IN A LARGE DROPLET FORM INTO THE AIR. IT WILL HIT ANYTHING AND LEAVE A MODERATELY TOXIC AMOUNT OF CHEMICAL BEHIND. EVEN WITH CLEANING THIS CHEMICAL WILL STAY BEHIND. THAT IS ITS PURPOSE. GO TO THE STORE AND BUY ORTHO HOME DEFENSE AND SPRAY IT IN KEY AREAS THAT INSECTS ENTER THE HOUSE... DO THIS INSIDE THE HOUSE AND OUTSIDE THE HOUSE AROUND DOORS, WINDOWS... ANY LITTLE CRACK OR CREVICE. IT IS MUCH SAFER TO HIT THE CORNERS OF CEILINGS AND AROUND BASEBOARDS WHERE THE INSECTS ARE GOING TO GO. BUG BOMBS ARE JUNK AND DANGEROUS AROUND FISH TANKS. THIS SHOULDN'T BE USED UNLESS A SEVERE INFESTATION HAS OCCURED. IF SHE DECIDES TO USE "THE BOMB" THEN USE GARBAGE BAGS AND SEAL IT TIGHT WITH DUC TAPE. EVERY CRACK AND CREVICE ON THAT TANK NEEDS SEALED OR PLAN ON EMPTYING THE TANK. I AM A PROFESSIONAL AND HAVE USED SPACE FOG AGENTS AROUND TANKS AND THEY HAVE BEEN FINE. BUT SEAL IT TIGHT AND CLEAN EVERYTHING AROUND IT WHEN SHES DONE. REMEMBER THAT IT IS A CHEMICAL THAT HAS A LONG TERM EFFECTIVENESS AND ANYTHING EXPOSED TO IT IS CONTAMINATED.
SORRY SO LONG BUT ITS IMPORTANT TO ME.
Old 10/30/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Sweet, Thanks a ton for the info, If she drops the BOMB, the door will hit her where the good lord split her.... I will get home defe. and use it and if thats not good enough for her she can to the BOMB but she has to stay in the house with it.....
Old 10/30/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

She reads these boards? Not
Old 10/31/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Unless you have fleas in the house, your wife can deal with something that does more good than harm.
Old 11/01/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I used a bugbomb back when i had freshwater.
I had 3 fairly large oscers. Nothing i did would kill these beasts.
But to be on the safe side, i turned off the filter, covered top with a towel, and let the bug bomb run while i went out to lunch.
Came home, opened all the windows/doors, turn on all the fans.
After the smell was gone, i turned on all the aquarium equipment and took the towel off.
2 were dead, and the smallest one was breathing heavy and floating sideways on the top.
He only lived another week.
Old 11/01/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

ouch... Sounds like too much fishy death for me. I cant afford or handle the 21 flush salute to get ride of a couple of bugs. I did get some ortho home guard and so far no ill effect but the tank is a ways from where I spray.
Old 12/22/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

I know this is almost two months later, but are there any alternatives for flea treatment? My neighbor brought her new puppy over about a month ago - now we have fleas in our house for the first time....

<------ My Poor Buddy