Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Dosing Kalkwasser Q.

I'm using Seachem Kalkwasser and the instructions say to mix 1 tsp. to 1 gl. so if I have a 150 do I mix and dose 5 tsp. to 1 gl. or 5 tsp. to 5 gl. thanks for the help.
Old 10/28/2007, 07:54 PM
Moved Aside

1 tsp of water that you are adding it to, not tank size. So if you are adding the kalk to a gallon of water, it would be 1 tsp.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:57 PM
RC Mod

I agree. 1 tsp per gallon of RO-DI water is a fine place to start.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

The most a gallon of water will absorb is about 2 tsp. I use 1 tsp. Once you reach saturation the rest settles to the bottom of you container. With 1 tps/gal I have very little kalk that falls to the bottom. You're using this for evap top off right? Just want to make sure. Wouldn't want you to dump gallons at a time into your tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:00 PM
Registered Member

OOOPs. so what could happen if I add 5 tsp. to one gl. of rodi water and dripped that in the main tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:59 PM
Registered Member

If you let the solution stand for a couple of hours you would find most of the kalk in the bottom of the bucket as once the water reaches saturation all the rest settles. In normal kalk usage you mix 1 to 2 tsp per gallon into a container and let sit for a few hours. Some of the kalk will fall to bottom and your water will develop a crust on the surface due to reaction with air. This is normal. You can then pump or pour this saturated water into your top off or dosing container. The only real danger is a PH spike as saturated kalk water has a PH of 12, this is why you drip it into your tank slowly so you don't nuke your aquarium. I have an acrylic tank I built that sits on top of my sump with a float valve so it tops off evaporation constantly, this is filled with kalk water. The bottom is covered with kalk powder that has fallen out of solution but can't drain into my sump because the float valve is about an inch above the bottom of my container. I just have to rinse this out about once a month or so. If you added 5 tsp into a gallon of water and didn't let it settle first and dripped that into your tank you PH would spike considerably. Much more than if you let is settle first. Does that make sense?
Old 10/29/2007, 09:20 PM
RC Mod

Yes, 3 tsp of the kalk should settle to the bottom. 2 tsp will dissolve, and the solution will be twice as strong as a 1 tsp solution. Just be careful with the pH. The extra kalk will dissolve if more water is added. If you're worried, you could let the kalk settle, then pour the liquid into another container, and dilute it with RO-DI.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Right, if you let it settle you can't really overdose as the extra ends up at the bottom of your container and the most you'll ever have is full-strength kalk water.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm dripping it out of a gallon jug keeping the tube 1'' away from the bottom. But as I was reading the responses it was mentioned that their is a crust on the top of the water I had frogotten about that. I think I read somewhere that only the middle should be used. I dripped the whole thing down to 1'' from the bottom into the main tank.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

The top is where the kalk has reacted with carbon dioxide and is harmless.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Tom
Old 10/30/2007, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Tom
Old 10/30/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

What if you mix sat 1tsp to 1 gal of water shake it up well then add it.

(without the settle out process)
Old 10/30/2007, 01:14 PM
RC Mod

Some impurities in the kalk will be dosed into the tank. How much of a problem that might be is unclear.