Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 10:29 PM
Registered Member

Coralife Pure-Flo for RO/DI

Folks;
Just a quick question-My Red Sea Max all set up & ready to go. My LFS recommends the above Caralife unit for RO/DI water. Do you have any experiences, or thoughts on this product?
Thanks in advance for Your Response-Jerry
Old 10/29/2007, 12:36 AM
I buy in bulk!

Way over priced and not the best quality. You can get a much better unit buying from one of the site sponsors and most likely save money.

http://www.thefilterguys.biz/

http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/29/2007, 05:57 AM
Registered Member

I second thefilterguys.biz. I have their 5 stage RO/Di unit and it was only $135 + SH, you cant beat that! They also have excellent customer service!

Brad
Old 10/29/2007, 11:01 AM
Team RC Member

Coralife is pretty low quality. Look at the vendors suggested along with www.purelyh2o.com , www.melevsreef.com and www.spectrapure.com . All of thoses suggested so far are sponsors of RC, know what reef quality water is and will sell you only what you need.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

It's TOTAL junk. Worse than the cheapos on ebay. I still have one - but it's kind of like the story of "my grandfathere's axe" - you know, where the handle has been replaced 3x and the head 2x. Mine has very few original parts, and I'd have been better off throwing it away.
Old 10/29/2007, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Bull. How many of you have used the Coralife? I've got one and it is great. 0-3 TDS on two different meters.

I will bet $$$ that not everyone of the 4 who posted against it have used it themselves. Maybe 1 or 2....
Old 10/29/2007, 07:31 PM
Team RC Member

Compare it to a good unit and you will soon see the difference. I have the benefit of seeing units side by side for comparison and when you can do that its obvious, no bull.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

So...what do you compare? Looks? Water goes in, pure water comes out? What else am I looking for? You know the cost and the GPD, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:48 PM
Team RC Member

Water quality is first and longevity is second. Cheap filters do not last and do not protect the RO membrane as well meaning more frequent replacements. You will not get the same quality of water and what you do get in the beginning will not last as long, its plain and simple. Long term cost is much more with a cheap system.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I've been using the Coralife unit for 7-8 months now. I really don't understand how someone can call it complete junk. That's like insulting me (and everybody else using them), I did my research, I spent MY money on it, and it WORKS!

Go Figure?!?!
Old 10/29/2007, 07:54 PM
Team RC Member

Working and working well are tow different things.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

Ok. If we've established 0-3 TDS on the coralife, where does the water quality play in? Does your RO system add supplements?

I would give you longevity, if I thought the replacement costs were out of whack, but I shopped around before I bought mine. For what it's worth, I'm going on over a year and have not replaced anything. Where does my longterm cost come in?

I've seen people preach these other brands and occasionally put down coralife. I paid a good price, am getting pure water, and have been for over a year. What's the problem?
Old 10/29/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry...

Let me rephrase

and it WORKS WELL