Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/28/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Karl gave me a piece and still alive. It is very slow grower.

jesus
Old 10/29/2007, 08:52 AM
Premium Member

Karl, Let's see yours...I don't remember seeing it in your tank last time I was there. With so many cool corals to look at I may have missed it or just don't remember it.
Old 10/29/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Come on Karl lets see a pix
Old 10/29/2007, 10:56 AM
espyesitis sufferer

No dice! I feel as soon as I post a pic, it's going to RTN on me

Alicia - I got it from Sang back at the '06 BACFM. I think it was completely bleached when you came by last. Shortly after, I moved it to the bottom after Sang said it needed low light, and it bounced back.

I got another colony a few months ago, but it STN'd. I was able to save several frags of it, though, which are growing on a rock. Hopefully, I'll be able to distribute frags from this rock, someday.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:20 PM
reefman

It seems there are a few variations of Incredible hulk acroporas. Here is mine, The one that I have fragged out 30 plus times in the past several years. I believe the on Wentreefgirl posted a picture of was obtained from me. There are quite a few others out there that have probably been cut form chop shops.

There has to be more people that have obtained this from me. Anyone?

This colony (one of two) is more than 6 years old, the tips get blue under some conditions. It grows very very fast, Just like david banner transformed into the hulk I don't know what its scientific name is but there is really neat story to the origin of this coral. In short, I aquired it as a wild colony about 10 years ago. I gave it to a friend, then I reaquired it as a stump of coral tissue on some used LR years later. That grew into this very colony. I did not find out until a couple years later that it was the same coral that I gave to my friend reefermec (kevin).

Keith
Old 10/29/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

great piece, kmagyar!

doesn't look much like rommel's hulk though. His grows very slow; doesn't have blue tips; and has pink polyps

Last edited by hagakure; 10/29/2007 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Well I have a piece I got from Mike at Captive Reef and it looks exactly like the piece Rommel was distributing. Alternating green and purple with pinkish polyps. Mine has grown extremely slowly and is finally looking very good now that I have moved it to the top (I did this over the course of a year). I have a PowerModul on my tank now and this piece is about 4 inches under an ATI Blue Plus bulb.

I am very interested in what intensity/spectrum of lightng is optimum for this coral.

How high is your piece and what kind of lighting is it under Hagakure and everyone else? It sure looks awsome when its thriving!

James

Last edited by jamesdawson; 10/29/2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:03 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Kmagyar gave me mine also.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:07 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

Mine is the same. Strange growth. And new growth has purple rims.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

Karl, I totally understand , Superstitious eh?? LOL.

I think those are different corals for sure. The one from Kmaygar is quite stunning. I really like the Rommel hulk when it gets the purple and green combo with the pink polyps...hard to get it to go there though. I really never got the pink polyps but I was getting some of the purple here and there amongst the green toward the end. I came home form a trip this summer and it had RTN'd ...it was going south before I left anyways so I was not surprised.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

anybody have a frag for sale or trade sure would like to get this one back in my tank.

sm
Old 10/29/2007, 07:50 PM
green Diplo bluemouths

A more updated pic. Its been fragged a bit. The green one to left is kmagyars. Oh heck, Id say 1/4 of my stuff is his.

Last edited by wentreefgirl; 10/29/2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 10/29/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

I still think this is one of the coolest looking pieces when it's fully colored up!!

So far mine has been doing good, haven't got the pink polyps yet and would be curious who has had luck with them. Is Rommel still distributing this coral? I haven't seen it listed for a long time.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

I just one in Thursday from Atlantis. They claim theirs comes for Vanuatu.

Web site say they like high light. What are you guys keeping yours under? What kind of flow?

It all started with a 10 gallon Wal Mart FW combo.
Old 10/30/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

I talked to Rommel about this piece the other day and he said he didnt have a frag anymore but was hoping to get one back soon to grow out. He told me that he used to give it away as a freebie btw...

Forgot to add...mine was the one casualty from a relatively painless move in which not a single other coral perished.