Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2007, 11:56 AM
TOTM October 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by SCIFI_3D_zoo
So do you follow all those manufacturer rec's and replace the probe 18 months, calibrate probe monthly? (think it was monthly), etc. Or do you just monitor your Ca+ and pH through other means and notice if something is off turn it off and fix it.

What I actually do is let my corals tell me when something is wrong. If they dont look as good one day then I begin running through a battery of tests.

You can also get a feel as to when things are out of whack by looking at how your equipment performs. If I notice the CO2 feed is always on, or mostly off, I will check things. Sometimes I will check them just because I feel like it....but for he most part I dont have the time to run through chceklists of things on a scheduled basis.

----so the answer is, no I dont follow the guidelines. I do monitor Ca and Alk periodically...maybe monthly.

Paul.
Old 10/26/2007, 09:14 PM
Registered Member

How important is a refugium to you? I know there are a lot of potential benefits but is it really necessary. I wish I had room.. I could double one as a QT tank too. I'll have to look into it more. Maybe I can setup something like that somewhere in my stand.
Old 10/27/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

I love the depth! I have a 30" tank and run T5s myself. I am 6'4 but still have a hard time cleaning the coraline off the bottom 2". How do you manage keeping it so clean of coraline (especially on an acrylic)?
Old 10/27/2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

How did you mount your Tunze Stream pumps? The one on the left doesn't look like your using the Tunze magnet holder. If not what did you use, why and how do you like it?

Thanks
Old 10/27/2007, 02:11 PM
TOTM October 2007

Sci fi- yes a refugium is a good idea. Search on RC and youy will find lots of information.

You cant use t for Qt. the idea of QT is to separate the fish/coral from the main tank till you know it is fine and free from disease/parasites.
Old 10/27/2007, 02:14 PM
TOTM October 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by BillyFSU
I love the depth! I have a 30" tank and run T5s myself. I am 6'4 but still have a hard time cleaning the coraline off the bottom 2". How do you manage keeping it so clean of coraline (especially on an acrylic)?
Hi Billy,

regular cleaning of the Acrylic panel keeps coraline at bay. I clean once a week generally...maybe 2 weeks sometimes go by and I see a little coralline on the edges/bottom. I use old credit cards/hotel door cards etc for cleaning. They work well and can be thrown aways after a few uses.

I can reach inside my tank by using stepladders whish allow me to lean over the top.

Paul
Old 10/27/2007, 02:15 PM
TOTM October 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ruddy
How did you mount your Tunze Stream pumps? The one on the left doesn't look like your using the Tunze magnet holder. If not what did you use, why and how do you like it?

Thanks
Steve,

I use the SureGrip magnetic holders. I like them a lot.

Paul.
Old 10/28/2007, 08:55 AM
Registered Member

I thought bout that later. DUH. The whole point is isolation. I'm just thinking about ways to squeeze some stuff under my stand. I saw a nice hang-on refugium too.

I just saw some guys super-glue (if it's good enough to use in surgery it won't hurt fish/corals) to mount some powerheads to a float-magnet cleaner. There are also magnet kits out there for various powerheads. Of course there are the new ones with built-in magnet holders too.
Old 10/28/2007, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

What brand of salt mix do you use?
Nate
Old 10/28/2007, 10:18 AM
TOTM October 2007

I use Instant ocean.

p.
Old 11/01/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner... Paul that is AWESOME !!!

Congratz...

Last edited by asnatlas; 11/01/2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11/01/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

paul, congrats your tank is an inspiration
Old 11/02/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

I see u ur bubble tip anemone is doin quite well. How long have u had it and do you have any tips or advice on their maintenance .

thnx

btw. DEFF. my favorite tank ive ever seen on the tank of the month section. I really ejoy ur taste in not only the rockscaping but also on the amount of corals in the tank. Some of the other tanks are way too overcrowded with corals.
Old 11/03/2007, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

Truly Inspireing ? How did drill the rock. I'm settimg my 300 and going to use your rock stands.
Old 11/03/2007, 11:29 AM
TOTM October 2007

Hey Shawn...

Thanks for dropping by. Its come a long way from when you and I began our threads on our respective tank builds. I look forward to helping you out any way I can once you get relocated.

Clekchau, thanks! As I have always said, its nice to be able to show my tank/system off. Now its made TOTM, its time to get in there and do some serious trimming of corals and reshape that 1 large middle pillar.

Linkss....no special info on the bubbles. I actually have 7 in that tank. Started with 2. They seem to prosper under the t5s quite well. I do feed them once a month or so....thats all.

Bixbe...I drilled the rock using a hole saw. select flat porous (soft) rocks and drill slowly but with even pressure.

there are more details on this page:
start near the bottom and read on a few posts. It shows the transition from the old look in my tank to the new one with the pillars.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=29

Paul.
Old 11/05/2007, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

One amazing tank...
Old 11/05/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

You ever had a problem with your mushrooms moving around? I have some that keep moving, smothering other corals, etc. Same with XENIA too.
Old 11/06/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

I bought some pellet food to test it out with mixed results. I noticed about 25% floated (only one fish saw and ate this), 25% sunk slowly enough in the top 12" of the tank to be eaten mostly, and the other 50% just sank like a rock. That would be ok if I had mostly sand critters to feed but I don't. Also... I bought the "small" pellets b/c of the size of my fish.

I was thinking maybe IF yours doesn't sink like that it's b/c you soak yours in the garlic juice right?
Old 11/06/2007, 08:56 AM
TOTM October 2007

Mine sinks quite well, but the fish eat it before it ever gets near the bottom.

P.
Old 11/08/2007, 07:33 PM
TOTM October 2007

Quote:
Originally posted by SCIFI_3D_zoo
I bought some pellet food to test it out with mixed results. I noticed about 25% floated (only one fish saw and ate this), 25% sunk slowly enough in the top 12" of the tank to be eaten mostly, and the other 50% just sank like a rock. That would be ok if I had mostly sand critters to feed but I don't. Also... I bought the "small" pellets b/c of the size of my fish.

I was thinking maybe IF yours doesn't sink like that it's b/c you soak yours in the garlic juice right?
btw: did you use TheraA pellets. I find they work really well.

Paul.
Old 11/08/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Oh damn.. no. Ocean Nutrition. I was looking for TherA but they didn't have it. I'll keep looking for some. Diff. foods do diff. things in water like sink differently. So I'll still have to test this out some more. What I have now... sinks like little rocks. That's good for my cucumber, crabs, etc. Don't need anything screwing up the water qual. though.

I'm trying to figure out whether to get a better overflow box or a drilled tank. I'm not sold on the expense for the advantages of a drilled tank. I'm still trying to find out exactly what is so good about a drilled tank. There are ovb's now that are quiet, siphon automatically, etc. Drilled tanks have better flow, but I think look quite intrusive to the tank and waste valuable space.

I'm working on figuring out whether to get a small hang-on refugium or something down in the stand... and exactly how to put together a refugium AND take care of one etc. Lots of research for me.

I'm gonna employ your PVC method to stack rock. This will be great for all the dead spots behind the rock where it's just stacked up against the glass. I got a couple 850 Gal. Koralia's for my 90 Gal. tank too. I have a wavemaker and plan to just have them alternate from one side to the other every 5-seconds? Have to mess with the timing.

I have to educate myself on RO/DI b/c I've been letting somebody else do that for me. I need to put together a whole setup.

I want to figure out how to put a 20 Gal or more holding tank somewhere. That would be great if I could have evaporation and water changes be more automated. I'm looking at a really thin tall box for this or the bottom of a closet about 4 feet away.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

Wanted to pic your brain more about drilling rock. I tested out a small bit on a small rock and it broke in 1/2 pretty easily. Hmm.... I went to the store to ck. out bits for my 1/2" PVC (which the total diamter is actually 1"). The 1" concrete/masonry bit they had just looked too brutal. So I ended up with a hole saw bit 1.25". STill gotta test it out. What was the problem with yours Paul? You burned up your saw, or just broke the bit, and your bit was a wood bit too wasn't it??

I do have a hole saw bit now... and it's diamond head/carbon or something. I'll go nice and easy too.

I like Marc's "Fudge" new TOTM pvc work too. My favorite part is how so much of the sand be is exposed now. I was thinking of borrowing that concept too. Put a smaller rock on the bottom and stack up from there. It introduces new problems though. With not much of the rock steady on the tank or the pvc it could tip back and forth. Maybe I could find a short but wide piece for a good base then go in with a smaller rock and back big as I go up. This would give stability, that hour-glass shape, but lose all that sandbed. I like the way you put your rock with ledges going left then right. I was thinking also of putting two smaller stacks in the middle and using a 45' degree angle to connect it to the main towers on each side of the tank.
Old 11/11/2007, 07:22 PM
TOTM October 2007

you need to make a really wide "H" out of PVC on the tank bottom and glue it togther. That will help stabilize the structure.

Your plan sounds good.

Make sure to start a thread and show everyone else what you are doing.

Paul.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:07 PM
Registered Member

you used 1/2" pvc on your towers Paul??.
Old 11/16/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

You think glue is really important? I didn't buy any b/c I didn't want to have to ask if there's special/certain blue to use in a tank. Yet another question. And I thought they fit together pretty tightly through force.

I thought about making a thread but I thought it might be kinda dumb since what I'm doing is so.. beginner. Why would people want to follow me with tanks like yours they can follow. I added one pic to my user gallery but it was tough at 50K. Can't zoom into it.