Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > North Central Pennsylvania Aquarium Reef Society (NCPARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Trading frags and discussion

I would like to start a frag swap at the aquarium house. If there is anyone interested please contact me. I was thinking we could meeet once or twice a month.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

I like that idea, especially since I'm only like 10 mins away from your store. While I don't really have a whole lot of frags, there are some local guys (Dan...hehehe) who have real nice frags.
Old 10/26/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

great if we get more responses. Thanks for your interests
Old 10/27/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I'd make the drive from Williamsport.
Old 10/27/2007, 08:47 PM
secretary of NCPARS

i am in for that but i think it needs to be spread out to at least once every two months.that will give me time to grow out some corals. thanks Dan
Old 10/29/2007, 02:15 AM
SPS Captial of PA

NCPARS is throwing around the idea of having monthly or bimonthly meetings and definitly working on having more meetings than twice a year. Chuck we would be happy to have you host us periodically if you would let us!

Rick

Absorbing information through OSMOSIS.

President of NCPARS
Old 10/29/2007, 02:16 AM
SPS Captial of PA

NCPARS is throwing around the idea of having monthly or bimonthly meetings and definitly working on having more meetings than twice a year. Chuck we would be happy to have you host us periodically if you would let us!

Dan, we need to plot out our member base on a map and see where we all are. As soon as Mary sends us a new membership list I will do that and let everyone know where we can go with this!

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 10/29/2007, 02:18 AM
SPS Captial of PA

Dan once I figure out where everyone is at I would like you to find locations or members who are willing to host us when possible.

NJ is doing home members meetings almost monthly without any issues. I like the idea.

Anyone else want to chime in?

Lurkers- we would love to have your imput so please jump in and get involved. We can't change things unless you give us your thoughts!

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 10/29/2007, 08:11 AM
Premium Member

$.02 from a non member:

Having monthly meetings might actually make the membership more justifiable. I know that personally the reason I didn't join is the fact that the swap is only really near/convenient once a year. So it was cheaper for me to just show up and pay my door fee. But if there were more meetings in more my area I would definately join the membership.

In the 80's I was involved in a computer users group, before we had such things as the 'net. We met every 2 weeks in the basement of a church. We charged membership, had a newsletter and even had "subclubs" with special interest people (Apple, PC, Amiga, Atari).

Home meetings never worked out because people around here don't live right off exits of major highways etc.

We eventually got local PC dealers to "host" events, and all we really asked them for was space to setup a few tables with demonstrations and electricity.

My thought is to make buddies with some VFW folk because they're always willing to open facilites. And once the club has a 501(c)3 license then donated space often rolls in from public libraries and other things.

Perhaps an NCPARS presence at the Calfo event that Something Fishy is hosting would be a good idea too...
Old 10/29/2007, 08:57 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

There were two problems with the biweekly meeting concept when we kicked it around back when I was prez...

1...There is no way that people will travel more than maybe 30 minutes to attend that often for just basic chit-chat and such.....and we have a very diverse area of people.

2...Some of us don't even have THAT much time.

...for me...if there was a LOT of participation at someplace 10 to 15 minutes from me I might be into it bi-weekly. But to say that I have a "busy schedule" is a understatment. I never joined SV-SEA because they met on Saturday afternoons..which are busy for me from 8am to 3pm.

I know we talked about all kinds of things before and after I was involved including having satelite local clubs. Some of it came down to money (and not being fair to some members not near a smaller club)...some came down to having people organize it.

We had always tried to make the swap entry fees for the year (all swaps) cost more than the membership to encourage membership enrollment. I'm actually not even a member this year since I didn't make the swap (getting married and all) and NCPARS still doesn't have a mail out membership policy to those that don't show up. Yes I know I could mail my check in...but if I had gotten a letter and a properly addressed envelop I probably would have tossed my membership fee there way.
Old 10/29/2007, 09:45 AM
secretary of NCPARS

great idea,fizz,i think all members from last year that are not current members should get a letter like you suggested.that will bring the numbers up a bit.
Old 10/29/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

This might be radical but what about online realtime chats as meets and then monthly or quarterly swaps?
Old 10/29/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0nf1y
$.02 from a non member:

Having monthly meetings might actually make the membership more justifiable. I know that personally the reason I didn't join is the fact that the swap is only really near/convenient once a year. So it was cheaper for me to just show up and pay my door fee. But if there were more meetings in more my area I would definately join the membership.
same here.......
Old 10/29/2007, 11:21 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0nf1y
This might be radical but what about online realtime chats as meets and then monthly or quarterly swaps?
Just curious...but how many "group chats" have you been in lately?

I know they used to be popular..AOL Chat Rooms and even IRC..but man...........I gave them up. It was hard enough keeping a BOD meeting moving along with 8 people in it let alone a room of 40 reef-a-holics. It's like being in a real room full of chatting people..you can only keep track of so many conversations at once before your head starts to spin!

I've always said this...
...to ME...the FORUMS are where the club exists. I would rather post any question I have HERE first before I go in the Reef or Noob section on RC..I trust the folks in here more...usually.

..and I can honestly say that if I had gotten a letter in the mail with an envelope to send dues I would still be a member. I don't feel the need to go to every swap to atleast donate to the cause. I consider it a privilege to hang out in this forum. I'm just lazy when it comes to writing checks..and I don't know the last time I bought a stamp!

Paypal would be even better...but I know the problems with that so I'm not going to push that one.

--Fizz
Old 10/29/2007, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

I was thinking more like a Webex or Live Meeting session where there are presenters and something a bit more organized than a Yahoo Chat room or whatever.
Old 10/29/2007, 03:54 PM
SPS Captial of PA

Quote:
Originally posted by Fizz71
Just curious...but how many "group chats" have you been in lately?

I know they used to be popular..AOL Chat Rooms and even IRC..but man...........I gave them up. It was hard enough keeping a BOD meeting moving along with 8 people in it let alone a room of 40 reef-a-holics. It's like being in a real room full of chatting people..you can only keep track of so many conversations at once before your head starts to spin!

I've always said this...
...to ME...the FORUMS are where the club exists. I would rather post any question I have HERE first before I go in the Reef or Noob section on RC..I trust the folks in here more...usually.

..and I can honestly say that if I had gotten a letter in the mail with an envelope to send dues I would still be a member. I don't feel the need to go to every swap to atleast donate to the cause. I consider it a privilege to hang out in this forum. I'm just lazy when it comes to writing checks..and I don't know the last time I bought a stamp!

Paypal would be even better...but I know the problems with that so I'm not going to push that one.

--Fizz
Online meetings- not a club type thing, but meeting in person is.
Kevin to say the FORUMS are where the club exists is why this club is having the difficulties it is. There really isn't a reason to become a member because you are already reaping the benefits of an online club for FREE.

We are trying to change that and get away from the previous philosophy of the club. NJ club is covering the whole state but still having monthly meetings. Finding people to help out there is not a problem. The reason for this is because they have a lot to offer their members and we don't. We are working on changing that. Look forward to seeing the change at the spring swap and a debut of a new NCPARS.

Paypal is something we are actually setting up and working on including in the new website design. So it is not so far fetched. We are definitely going to have to have it for large group buys and online membership dues.

You have to understand Kev that the new Board doesn't think like the old one and is radically going to change the face of the club. I hope its members speak up and make it what they want it as it really is their club!

CHEERS!

Rick

President of NCPARS
Old 10/29/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
You have to understand Kev that the new Board doesn't think like the old one and is radically going to change the face of the club. I hope its members speak up and make it what they want it as it really is their club!
All we have seen so far is just TALK !!

With this attitude all you are going to do is alienate everyone (if you have'nt already) who worked hard to get this club off the ground. No wonder you are having trouble getting volunteers to help.

sanjay.
Old 10/29/2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

No disrespect meant to any officers past or present, and since I'm a non-member, forgive me if this is out of line.

I've have my reef tank setup for close to 20 years and I do get around the lfs's and not so local lfs's. I've been visiting RC for about 2 1/2 yrs or so, but never checked out the reef club section. I don't know how long this club has been around, but honestly, I never knew about it till a few months ago. Actually, I think it was when you guys had the frag swap in WB. I found out like the following week...and missed it.

Now I see there are some locals that are members. Do you guys have any flyers or anything at the lfs's? I mean, if not for the internet, how would anyone know about this club? About 15 yrs ago I was a member of a club we had in WB that was started and run by Dave Roberts of Aquarium Doctor. Unfortunately, Dave pretty much ran the whole thing and when he moved to 1000 Islands, the club folded. We had about 30 members or so, but it covered fresh and salt.

I know this club covers a large area of the state, but what about something like local county chapters? I know there are a few people from Luzerne county who are members or at least visit here (like me). Local chapters can meet monthly, bi-monthy or whatever and still be open to any member to come to. Full club meetings can be quarterly, twice a year or whatever. Maybe some advertising at the lfs's and stuff for locals to get involved with can be a big boost to the club.

Just a thought...........
Old 10/29/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

WOW. I feel like I opened a can of black worms. Cant wait to meet yall
Old 10/30/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

/me puts the lid back on the can.

Once I get everything goign again I am going to be looking for some nice frags so will definitly be interested in some smaller swaps. I like the idea of more frequent swaps because I have missed the last 4 big swaps because of work issues or some other reason.
Old 10/30/2007, 09:13 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cccapt
Do you guys have any flyers or anything at the lfs's?
I don't know how many got out there this time, but yes...we have made an effort in the past. I used to take them down to TFP but they really just sit them there at the customer service desk and nobody sees them.

Not to mention that frag swaps can take AWAY business from an LFS so it's not like too many of them are going to be all like "hey..have you heard about.."....With the exception of the really good ones of course.

TFP has always been good to me and the club and we used to hand stuff out there at the big events but that pretty much stopped when I stopped.

I'm not sure what the board has up their sleeves these days so we'll just have to wait and see...but I can appreciate the difficulty in getting things done.

...Chatter like this is important....As long as it's constructive. If only one person chimes up about smaller clubs then the board will assume there isn't really a whole lot of interest. We do swaps because swaps are what people want. The more people that talk it up and VOLUNTEER the better the club will be. But that "V" word is like poison to most people...So you wind up with a handfull of people doing most of the work and just get burned out and eventually want nothing to do with it.

--Fizz
Old 10/30/2007, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

I would be more willing to go to more "local" events/get-togethers, then I am for the 3hr away ones. Like driving down to Dan's the other day. I got to see his tank and setup which was really awsome. We BSed about differnt corals and setups etc. It was about an 1 hour drive for me, so that would be about the extent of the distance I would consider doable.

Chris

"Chatter like this is important....As long as it's constructive. If only one person chimes up about smaller clubs then the board will assume there isn't really a whole lot of interest."
Old 10/30/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

How many people come to these events
Old 10/30/2007, 11:59 AM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Critter
I would be more willing to go to more "local" events/get-togethers, then I am for the 3hr away ones. Like driving down to Dan's the other day. I got to see his tank and setup which was really awsome. We BSed about differnt corals and setups etc. It was about an 1 hour drive for me, so that would be about the extent of the distance I would consider doable.
Well...there's actually an upside and downside to both. Yes closer is better on the commute but if it's a small local swap then the variety of what is available to trade is limited...if that's what you're into.

The larger swaps pull in more variety and a vendor is more likely to drag more along as well. The "Original Board" had discussed that we had wanted to have big swaps...we'd move them around so hopefully we share the burden of travel and we'd only do 2 to 4 a year. I think the club has continued to head that route....

I'm actually looking forward to a Ohio road trip next year since their swaps are even bigger than ours ever were. It will be worth the drive to get some new variety into our mix...but I'm waiting for my new tank to be up and running.

Check out their activity on FragSwapper.com from their meeting 2 weeks ago:
http://www.fragswapper.com/setmeeting.asp?MeetingKey=29
(Click on Listings, then AllTrades once you're in if you're not familiar with the site)

I think it comes down to what you're in this for. Newer folks may be more interested in tank tours...the "Old salts" are just looking for cool specimens. I certainly don't consider myself an "Old salt" yet and seeing other peoples setups are fine..but I am mostly interested in trading and seeing people from all over that I don't see often. Transaltion...I'd prefer to occasionaly drive to a big swap than meet bi-weekly...I think that would get old in about 3 months once we've all seen each other's stuff 20 times.

...and just to make sure I don't upset anybody as tends to happen in written words....My comment "as long as it's constructive" wasn't directed at anybody...I think the comments so far are all good and I hope the current board is taking it all in.
Old 10/30/2007, 12:02 PM
NCPARS Founding Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckydaphish
How many people come to these events
NCPARS topped out at just over 100. Ohio was over 300. I'm not sure about the last swap but I heard it wasn't that big...I was getting married so I missed it.

--Fizz