Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/24/2007, 02:46 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Awesome zoos at the Critter

Hey all!

Just wanted to let you know they've got some GREAT colored zoos at the critter. Most are decently sized colonies with probably anywhere from 20 to 100 polyps. The large rocks are $25 and the small ones are $15. I got one of each. I'll post pictures of the ones I was able to pick up once they open.

The one small colony (although it probably has at least 30 or 40 polyps) was radioactive dragons eyes (they were BRIGHT!) and the large one I picked up (100+ polyps) were (according to Angela ) Eagles Eyes. There's also one small section of a different color that looks teal and beige. There were other very bright colors, some rocks having 3 different really nice colors. Great stuff and great prices! These are pretty big rocks.

Anyway, go snatch 'em up!

Brandon
Old 10/24/2007, 05:06 PM
Premium Member

They are indeed dragon eyes and eagle eyes (and I think that I saw some 'whamming watermelons'). I got a rock of something that I didn't know the name of. Good looking zoas!

Anyways, I did spot a sundial snail on one frag. He's gone, but I'd look really close for any of his buddies.
Old 10/24/2007, 05:19 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Thanks for the tip.

I freshwater dipped mine. I found just an astrina star and bristleworm and assorted other small things I didn't have a chance to look at because I had to jet off to work.

Brandon
Old 10/24/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

wow!!!!!....great deal brandon!!.. ive actually seen quite a few named zoas there too....but i didnt pick them up....because when you pick up one...you pick another....and then another.....and before you know....you've spent over $100 when the whole purpose was "just to look"....well, atleast thats my problem

but yea, get those pictures up....even though i know what they look like....hehehe
Old 10/24/2007, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

Are they in the no-edge aquarium with the clams and solaris lighting? I got some BRIGHT orange zoos from there, but they are now brown in my tank... Hopefully they'll color back up, as they are only like 2 weeks in my tank!
Old 10/24/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

what kind of light you got geewizz?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by geewizzitsme
Are they in the no-edge aquarium with the clams and solaris lighting? I got some BRIGHT orange zoos from there, but they are now brown in my tank... Hopefully they'll color back up, as they are only like 2 weeks in my tank!
I've had the same problem. Some of them look fantastic under their lighting, only to become a dull reddish-brown under my t5's.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:44 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Sounds like their lighting is quite the marketing tool...

Here are pics of mine: needless to say, not as bright as they were there, but I've only got NO for now, but will be upgrading to T5s soon...

Sorry our camera STINKS. The colors are off, too. That GSP in the background should be maroon (as most of you know ).

These are DEFINITELY super colors, though! The radioactive dragons eyes still are very vibrant in my tank, even without actinics. The Eagle Eyes don't look quite as good, but are still very interesting. You just have to look a little closer to see the blue and red rings on them. Their green mouths stick out, though. I need to count the polyps on that rock... there have got to be at least 100 to 150.

Anyway, now I've got to get better lights...

Brandon
Old 10/24/2007, 08:47 PM
Beer King

Nice find.
Old 10/24/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Geewizz.... How are your nurtients as well as lights being used? Browning out is a sign of high nutrients. I know from first hand experience everything in my tank is brown But yea those Solaris lights are sweet! I am definetly wanting to put them on the next tank. Just hope they are cheaper by next year.

I was amazed at the colors and great prices they had on the zoas in the frag tank. They were definetly colonies not frags on most of the rocks in there today. I had a hard time not indulging my addiction but the stinkin tulip anemonies would just sting them seein as how they are overrunning my tank Good to finnally meet you today! Get them lights!!

Don't judge me because I can't spell. I use my brain space for more important things, like thinking of a fancy user name
Old 10/26/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, my lights are very bad (getting my MHs this weekend tho!!!)

Also, my tank is just 3 months (skimmerless), so I still have some nitrates... Hopefully they will color back up! Thanks guys! I will have to check out some of the other ones! There are some nice pink ones!
Old 10/27/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

just cause you're going skimmerless, doesnt mean that you should have nitrates......nitrates will go away with good water changing habits.....also, chaeto will help keep it down
Old 10/27/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, I do a 25% WC every week! Just getting them nitrates down!
Old 10/27/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

whats ur nitrate levels?
Old 10/28/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

Not sure, tests at FINS are far different from mine... Theirs say 0 and mine say 20... I don't know?
Old 10/28/2007, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

Also, I got my Viper clamp-on MH and I LOVE them the zoos look much better!
Old 10/28/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Although they have some really nice corals I was in there on Friday and 2 rows of their tanks are really battling a bad case of ich the row in the middle seemed pretty ok though. Those buying fish really check them out this weekend.
Old 10/28/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I noticed that, too!
Old 10/28/2007, 03:06 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Someone else pointed it out to me... and I really wanted to get a diamond goby! I'll wait it out, I suppose...

Brandon
Old 10/28/2007, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

Was kinda disapointed as i finally went in for fish. After spending over an hour in there observering the fish and examing them as well ( with 3 young childern in tow ooooof ! ), I finally found a yellow tang and 5 chromis i wanted but when i asked since I was buying a lot of them and nearly $80.00 in fish if they could give me a small discount which i started at 1.00 off just the chromis and then 0.50 cents on the chromis well the lady behind the counter slammed me down pretty hard so the kids and i went packing. Just hard coming from CA and seeing the prices on stock out here nearly doubled.

All worked out well since now thanks to DB there will be lots of new corals in the tank instead The lone damsel will just have to continue to be lonley :P
Old 10/28/2007, 03:28 PM
New Aquatronica Fan

Are you not an MTRC member? You could have received 10% if so, which would have been about what you were asking. If not, you have to join NOW!

Brandon
Old 10/29/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

ya, the 10% off is quite nice. I visit AC at least twice a week it seems and they have been battling ick for awhile in some of the tanks. You should always assume a fish is carrying ick even if they don't show it and QT and treat it.