Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/25/2007, 03:52 PM
Genuine reef addict

What happens if you get a bite from the wrong fish darting in for the bait? If you do get the damsel by "fishing" have it mounted & put on a small wall - maybe above the tank LOL!
Old 10/25/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

aarazorfish,
Dude drop the pumps and do the mbdave skimmer mod.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:08 PM
Genuine reef addict

aarazorfish - you probably already had this question - does your skimmer pump have the blue fitting on it? The blue fitting is an RSM upgrade to help with microbubbles.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

Update:
24hrs with the replacement skimmer and it's not any better than the original. Time to try the Mbdave mod I think.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:33 PM
Excuse My French...

A quick update on the GDEsquire skimmer mod:

- Yesterday night, I widen a bit the little hole in the lid of the collection cup to make sure that the air pipe was not blocked.
- Let it run overnight and all day today with the lid open to make sure that closing the lid does not block the air pipe.

No luck: No change in skimming performance and no change with bubbles. I really do not understand why this does not work for me.

That said, the mod makes the skimmer almost totally silent, killing for good the suction noise.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:35 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hodge - it can take a few days or more for a new skimmer to break in and wash out residuals and oils from manufacturing. I'm doubtful you'll see a difference, but in fairness to RSM I'd give it the normal break-in period that any skimmer usually requires.
Old 10/25/2007, 08:39 PM
Genuine reef addict

Laurent - your results again support my feeling that no 2 RSM skimmers are identical. You used to get good results didn't you? Did it recently start performing worse than it used to? Maybe it's just that your tank is a lot cleaner now?
Old 10/25/2007, 08:59 PM
Excuse My French...

ReefMack: Yes: Skimming performance started to decline when pest algae started to recede. And yes, the tank is much cleaner now. On the other hand, I have increased the "bioload" recently with the introduction of new fishes and corals and I have not seen any significant change in what I am getting in the collection cup: It is mostly green stinky stuff. Maybe because I am catching and evacuating plenty of fish poop in my (rinsed daily) white pad?
Old 10/25/2007, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbdave
aarazorfish,
Dude drop the pumps and do the mbdave skimmer mod.
Got the Tunze coming Friday morning...mo money mo money mo money. Who cares, as long as the bubbles go bye-bye, I don't care what it costs.
Old 10/25/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefmack
aarazorfish - you probably already had this question - does your skimmer pump have the blue fitting on it? The blue fitting is an RSM upgrade to help with microbubbles.
Mack,

I have the "GOOD" skimmer. Whatever. Upgrade!

Thanks,

m
Old 10/25/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

here are some recent pics.

Old 10/26/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nymotts
here are some recent pics.
[
Very nice set up. Great photos, too!

I am always amazed & concerned (at times) at what types of fish & corals are placed in these smaller tanks.
Is that a yellow tang? They get large, and need a good length of water (ie. 90g tank) to swim in. Just my opinion, but tangs really aren't a good candidate for our small aquariums, they may survive, but they won't thrive.
And a seahorse ... how long have you had it? Does it get enough food, being a slow eater, and with the other fish in there that are 'fast eaters'.
Donna
Old 10/26/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

dropping the pumps

Where is the post on how to drop the pumps ? Man Red Sea sure was retarded when they designed this thing.
Old 10/26/2007, 06:32 AM
Genuine reef addict

Laurent - maybe it is the cleaner tank and cleaning the pad daily that has you getting less skimmate. See what you get in a few days.

nymotts - good to see you drop in here again. The tank looks like a few things have grown a lot since the last time I saw it- looking good! I was also going to ask if the seahorse is able to get enough to eat, but I'm guessing you make sure it does. No comment on the tang - I'm not part of the tang police force

aarazorfish - keep us posted on your Tunze install. Give it a few days to break in before drawing any conclusions.

fotoman68 - it took me a while to find it, but the pump mod posts were in the last split. Here's a link to pictures of it (below the skimmer mod pictures). Information on it would be on pages before & after this one:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...&pagenumber=36

I agree - it seems to me that the pumps should have been dropped another 2 inches to keep them from being starved so easily.
Old 10/26/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Good morning fellow tank tweakers. Another morning, and another question (problem?). Is anyone using an American Marine wireless thermometer? If so I ask the following:

1) Is it accurate?
2) If it's not, can it be recelibrated to be accurate or do you just call and get a new one.

I ask because all of a sudden it seems to be off. I put an old fashioned mercury thermometer in there and lo and behold, 2 degrees off.

Any thoughts? Comments? Other hobby suggestions? HA! Kidding, you gotta love this.

-aarf
Old 10/26/2007, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

These are neat little tanks, I think I may get one just to play with in my office!
Old 10/26/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by serenity
These are neat little tanks, I think I may get one just to play with in my office!
Serenity, go for it! There's tons of good info here about these 'little guys'. We've had larger tanks before this one, like you, and are just in the process of waiting for our water to mature (Patience, Grasshopper )in our new RSM. Keep us posted.
Donna
Old 10/26/2007, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

REEFMACK - thank you. That mod makes sense. Did you try it ?
Old 10/26/2007, 04:05 PM
Professional Obfuscator

You guys are busy posters! Miss a couple of days and there is a novel's worth of catching up to do!!!

Nice pics nymotts! I had the same tang/sea horse questions as the others...

I caved and brought home 2 baby percula clowns this afternoon...and a blue shrimp (Heteropeneus longimanus). The shrimp is sort of an impulse buy - I was intrigued by him last time I was in the reef store...apparently they eat bryopsis...which I don't think I have...but this guy is so cool...huge! And hopefully more of a swimmer than a hider like the peppermint shrimp. Colouring is unremarkable...

The 2 clowns were the last remaining ones from the previous shipment...both were picked on, so some finage needs to regrow...they're eating well and are nicely marked...hopefully they'll colour up a bit more in my tank once they settle in...

I could have waited to get 'fresh' ones from the next shipment...but these guys needed a home so we'll see how they do...

Anyone wanna bet they adopt the frogspawn and NOT the anenome?
Old 10/26/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue

I caved and brought home 2 baby percula clowns this afternoon...and a blue shrimp (Heteropeneus longimanus). The shrimp is sort of an impulse buy - I was intrigued by him last time I was in the reef store...apparently they eat bryopsis...which I don't think I have...but this guy is so cool...huge! And hopefully more of a swimmer than a hider like the peppermint shrimp. Colouring is unremarkable...

The 2 clowns were the last remaining ones from the previous shipment...both were picked on, so some finage needs to regrow...they're eating well and are nicely marked...hopefully they'll colour up a bit more in my tank once they settle in...

I could have waited to get 'fresh' ones from the next shipment...but these guys needed a home so we'll see how they do...

Anyone wanna bet they adopt the frogspawn and NOT the anenome?
Congratulations on your new fish ... glad you gave them a home ... and your blue shrimp. Could you post a pic, if he/she comes out for a photo session? I have to live vicariously through everyone else here until my tank is matured ... I love to see & hear what everyone else is up to with their livestock.
Old 10/26/2007, 04:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

fotoman - nope - I haven't tried the pump mod. The way I mess things up I'm not sure I will. If I do, I'd like to try to find a fitting of the same size & thread of the pump fitting so I could put a plastic nut on the side that the hose would attach to, so that I could fasten the pumpheads securely.

mbdave - do you get any vibration from the pump mod in the manner that you did it?

Rue - congrats on the new percs & blue shrimp! I'll have to do a search on the shrimp & see if I can find a picture of it. Hopefully the percs will prefer the anemone over the frogspawn.

On another note, you may all find this RC post interesting. That's all I'll say about it:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...1#post11059081

Old 10/26/2007, 04:50 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Thanks guys! I did find a good pic of the shrimp on-line...if I have a chance later tonight I'll post it...I think it's a he-shrimp ...he has a pair of extremely elongated pleopods for feeding...or rather he has one...the other seems to be missing...if I can see, I'll check for gonopods...

Read the link Reefmack...dunno what to say...I say you're right and they're wrong...but it is their site...I suppose we could start our own forum in 'our' site...

I post in more than one forum regardless so it's not a hug issue for me to add one more...
Old 10/26/2007, 05:14 PM
Professional Obfuscator

*ACK* Damn shrimp leapt out of the RSM as I was gently putting him in...

...and landed **SPLAT** on the floor...

I think he's okay...lol...or that's going to be a rather sad waste of $27...
Old 10/26/2007, 05:20 PM
Genuine reef addict

Rue - be careful posting that shrimp link And stop with the invert anatomy terms! Just kidding! My biology degree is too ancient to remember them all LOL. On the link - I feel I got my point made, and my opinion stated, and can't say much more. I'm normally never an argumentive person, unless I think something is unfair. Anyway - I'm off to seach on Heteropeneus longimanus, but I'll avoid looking at any gonopod pics.

Oh noooooo - I posted and your post was there on the leaping shrimp. Hope it's OK.
Old 10/26/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

No vibration that I noticed Reefmack.

I think the skimmers all perform different due to so many variables. The back chamber depth changes the skimmer level so easy and the air adjustment, also the open bottom. Though my mods are not for the quesy they so far are working pretty good. My advice is if you plan on the skimmer mod buy another skimmer from RS just in case it goes wrong (50 bucks) and also you will have adequate time to put into the mod. If someone wants to try the mod I would do it for them but can't promise speedy delivery and of course cost for the materials, and maybe a gift certificate to foster and smith

Try it, when you master the adjustments you will love it.