Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/23/2007, 12:56 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Bud, run your overflow down to the sump with PVC and then put in one or two 90 degree angles to slow down the flow and use flexible tubing to attach to the skimmer. This will decrease the turbulence, noise, and vibration.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

There are several seals that can leak, it's leaking from where?
Old 10/23/2007, 01:02 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bud's Reef
I'm planning on running one of the two overflows from my 120G directly to my EX-2. The tnak's overflow kit has a 1" bulkhead with a hose barb fitting. My sump and skimmer will be in the basement with the tank on the floor above. What is the best way to make the connection from the overflow to the skimmer which has a 3/4" hose barb? Should I use flex tubing or would pvc be better? Should I plumb it with just a strait drop from the tank to the skimmer or should I angle it? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
I make a 90 deg. turn on mine, using pvc all the way until it connects to the skimmer. I don't reduce it until just before the barbed fitting. Also, I am using the herbie style drain, which prevents bubbles from entering the skimmer and disrupting the foam production. The water level in the overflow is set so it trickles down the backup drain as well. This prevents any surging from happening. If you don't do it this way you probably want to T off part of the drain before it goes to the skimmer. There is a diagram of this floating around here somewhere.
Old 10/23/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

the bottom of the cup....it must be the O ring fit
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/23/2007, 02:24 PM
Charleston Reefer

Yeah make sure the oring is on correctly.
Old 10/23/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

it seems like it fits loose?
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/23/2007, 02:26 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Petedoc and Uhuru! The hose barb on the 1" bulkhead fitting would take a 1-1/4" ID flex tubing. Should I toss it and get another bulkhead that has a slip fitting rather than the hose barb or conncet the hose to the barb and then connect it somehow to pvc? What kind of piece fitting do you use to go from flex hose to pvc and the back to flex hose at the skimmer. I'll put a tee and a gate or ball valve near the skimmer to control how much of the overflow goes to the skimmer.
Old 10/23/2007, 02:35 PM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by vickreyreef
it seems like it fits loose?
How do you have the o-ring on? It should be on the skimmer cup section.

It should be a tight fit.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Posting for a buddy here - he just set up a Bx (? - the cheeper one) 1 or 2 and is getting very little if any skimmate. From his description the foam isn't even rising into the neck. Is there a level adjustment on these things? Anything else to look for? He said it's in about 6+ inches of water.
Old 10/23/2007, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

yep that is the section it is on but it is so loose it almost falls off....
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/23/2007, 04:36 PM
Save me Jebus

Quote:
Originally posted by IPT
Posting for a buddy here - he just set up a Bx (? - the cheeper one) 1 or 2 and is getting very little if any skimmate. From his description the foam isn't even rising into the neck. Is there a level adjustment on these things? Anything else to look for? He said it's in about 6+ inches of water.
There is a gate on the output of the skimmer that you must pull up or down accordingly.
Have a great day.
Kris
Old 10/23/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

Here is mine after a few weeks. This is two days of skim and its fed directly from the overflow about 110gph.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

I'll have him look for that gate. Thanks.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

Well, I finally got my EX-2 this afternoon. The box was pretty messed up, but they had it packed pretty tight in some form fitting bags, so everything seems to be ok. The pumps were not connected like I've seen others say. I was happy to see that. I'm not quite sure how to hook it up yet. I think I'll mess with it tommorow.

One question I have though is, do you have to feed it from my overflows, or can I just drop it into my sump and have the two pumps feed it? They look like they can only pull water from inside the skimmer tube, so that leads me to beleive that it has to be fed from my overflows. Also, I either way, I want to keep it in my sump incase it ever leaks. Can those pumps be submersed? I'm sure they can, but still want to double check with you guys. If so, what is the recommended depth? I've seen 6" in one of the posts above, is that ideal?
Old 10/23/2007, 06:07 PM
Charleston Reefer

I use a mj1200 to feed my ex-2 and its in my sump. I have mine in about 19 3/4 inches of water. The water level doesn't matter as long as you don't submerge the skimmer's output.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

You'll need a feed pump if you don't want to plumb it to an overflow, the Aquabees on the skimmer are only there to inject the air and recirculate the water inside the skimmer reaction chamber. They are sealed and won't pull in any water from the sump.

Shoot for around 1.5-2 times your system volume in flow when choosing a feed pump (if you have 90 gals of water in your system, then use a pump rated at 135-180 gph). Some folks use higher volume pumps, but you don't want to go too high.

Big D
Old 10/23/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vickreyreef
yep that is the section it is on but it is so loose it almost falls off....
Mine doesnt fall off but it isnt exactly tight around the cup. You may just need to clean the O ring. Clean the area around the cup where the O-ring sits. Clean the groove of the bayonet mount on the skimmer where the cup mounts. Then, lubricate the O-ring with some teflon or silicone grease rated safe for potable water use (USDA or NSF). In a Pinch you can use some vaseline. Vaseline can deteriorate some rubbers and plastics over time but in a pinch it should be fine. Dont gob the stuff on, just rub enough on the O-Ring to make it slick / slippery. Sometimes grit / dirt on an O-Ring can be enough to prevent a good seal. The grease is just a good idea to prevent friction from causing the or ring to bind and stretch further plus it helps create a seal.
Old 10/23/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Thanks DarG!! I will take your advice in the morning and see if I can seal this thing up...it is such a great skimmer..I can't believe what it is removing...
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/23/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

If you end up needing a new O-Ring, O rings USA dot com has every size I have ever needed. I have never looked for a large one there but they probably have it. I'd go a little smaller than the neck size as far as diameter. For thickness, I dont know ... I think you could get close enough measuring with a set of calipers.

You're welcome.

Last edited by DarG; 10/23/2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Awesome thread and lots of great advice. I can't wait to get started hooking mine up tommorow.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:06 PM
Caribe Piranha

I finally got a chance to install my EX-1. I wanted to feed it from my overflow but I'm not sure I did it right since I have bubbles in the pipe.

Please check out the picture and let me know what you think?

Old 10/23/2007, 10:36 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Do not worry about bubbles in the pipe, there will soon be plenty of bubbles in the water.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
Mine doesnt fall off but it isnt exactly tight around the cup. You may just need to clean the O ring. Clean the area around the cup where the O-ring sits. Clean the groove of the bayonet mount on the skimmer where the cup mounts. Then, lubricate the O-ring with some teflon or silicone grease rated safe for potable water use (USDA or NSF). In a Pinch you can use some vaseline. Vaseline can deteriorate some rubbers and plastics over time but in a pinch it should be fine. Dont gob the stuff on, just rub enough on the O-Ring to make it slick / slippery. Sometimes grit / dirt on an O-Ring can be enough to prevent a good seal. The grease is just a good idea to prevent friction from causing the or ring to bind and stretch further plus it helps create a seal.
dont use the vaseline... tried that . the rings dont hold up to well. and i notice when i take the cup off i have to clean the cup mount or it will leak. u can try a auto parts store for a new oring. its mentioned in the thread somewhere i think 2 & 7/8'' was the size they used.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:05 AM
Registered Member

i have o ring lube from all our underwater camera equipment...maybe i'll try that instead......
95lbs LR-
4" LS Base-
2 DE 150w MH 20k
Old 10/24/2007, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

If the O-Ring lube is non-toxic, definitely use that instead.
I use a Teflon and Silicone lubricant. I probably apply it every other time I clean the cup. It's completely safe for the tank and the material used to make the O-Rings. Personally, I wouldnt go without it for my skimmer cups. I have used it on evey skimmer cup that that I have had and that used an O-Ring to make a seal.

Makes perfect sense to me that having the O-Ring lubricated on the EX skimmers will increase the O-Rings lifespan by reducing stretching. I think the stock O-Ring stretches because of friction when installing and removing the Cup. Based on several reports here of people having to replace the O-rings so quickly, I think lubricating helps a lot. Mine is still fine, no leaks, very minimal stretching.