Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/22/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks LaurantSeattle. I never got the hang of the pics thing.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:15 PM
Excuse My French...

GDESQUIRE: Where the blue piece can be found? I want to try this mod. Finally, here is one compatible with my DIY skills...
Old 10/22/2007, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

The blue piece came from an airline kit. However, it is redundant since the airflow can be adjusted with the air control valve supplied by RSM. You can simply insert the black tube into the hole you drill and use a small amount of crazy glue if needed. If you drill the hole slightly smaller than the black tube, it will fit snug. The idea is to get a tight fit that won't allow air to enter.

Thanks for posting the pics LaueantSeattle.
Old 10/22/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

GDESQUIRE: Does the back lid still fully close with that mod? What did you use to drill the hole with?
Old 10/22/2007, 10:45 PM
Excuse My French...

I just finished the skimmer "mod of the year".

I can at least confirm two things:

- It takes less than 5 minutes
- It definitely kills for good the suction noise of the skimmer and just for that this is indeed a VERY GOOD mod...

No changes in micro-bubbles here so far.
Too early to check the skimmer foam.
Old 10/22/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurentSeattle
QT Tank again...

Thanks MBDave. I was almost decided for the JBJ 6g when I realized that I would not be able to fully open the hood in the planned location (because of kitchen cabinets)... I am now considering the JBJ 12g that comes with a free stand for $211 incl. delivery at a reputable online store.

Any better option?
Why not get the 12g Aqua Pod that comes with Metal Halides for a lot less??? You can get it with the stand delivered for less than that too!
Old 10/22/2007, 11:43 PM
Registered Member

The lid closes. I used a small drill.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

gdesquire
thats using your head mate, so simple and in theory should work, what made you think of that, how long since you had done the mod was that pic taken....
Old 10/23/2007, 06:13 AM
Registered Member

The pic was taken one hour after the mod.
Old 10/23/2007, 06:56 AM
Genuine reef addict

Awesomely simple skimmer mod GDESQUIRE! I'm tempted to unhook my Remora and try it.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Okay. I got the sump in the stand and it is running. The system still requires some tweaking. The overflow is noisy (what a surprise) and attempts to silence create restart problems when power is interrupted. I will be modifying it by making a DIY Durso and make go to 1" PVC for the overflow to allow for more flow which, theoretically should silence the slurping. If I want to increase the flow I may need to rethink the plumbing because you sure can hear that water rushing through the tubing on its' way to the sump. The skimmer (Octopus NW-110) has not produced anything yet and I am not sure if it is because it is sitting in a new acrylic sump that needs to get "conditioned" or if the skimmer needs to be raised up a bit. I'll post some more pictures soon.
Old 10/23/2007, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

Had a weird one last night.
Did my weekly water change and then fired up the skimmer afterwards and it pumped water up into the cup until I turned it off. The cup was full of water in 30 seconds. Emptied the cup, checked everything (all ok) fired it back up and it did the same thing. I have left it off for now until I can figure out what's going on.

Any suggestions on a siphon hose that can do a decent job of suctioning algae and stuff without draining my 10% changes in 20 seconds or less. I'm using a piece 1/2" hose and was wondering if anyone has tried 1/4" air line hose for siphoning??
Old 10/23/2007, 10:34 AM
Genuine reef addict

lpsluver - I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Maybe the skimmer and the sump both need to run a bit to get rid of any manufacturing residues before the skimmer will show anything?

Hodge - weird on the skimmer filling with water, The air line isn't in the water is it? On the siphon, I bought a larger one and had the same problem you do - drains too fast! I went back to a smaller one I had (smaller diameter suction end & smaller diameter tubing), and now I get a chance to use it on the gravel, etc. without draining water so quickly. 1/4" air line might take forever to drain though - maybe something in between?
Old 10/23/2007, 11:02 AM
Excuse My French...

Update on GDEsquire skimmer mod:

I did run the modded skimmer overnight with no noticeable improvement in performance. Mitigating factor: My skimmer usually produces very little foam during the night.

I will update later tonight.
Old 10/23/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

So I just placed my newly aquired BTA from Liveaquaria in the tank and bang power goes out....typical. Good news the power came on in like 1.5 hours and the BTA is attached in the spot I left him...looks very health (first purchase from Liveauaria...nice!). Anyway so when the pwer came back on I have microbubbles everywhere in the tank? I though I was one of the luck ones as to I never really had a problem.

gd-Nice skimmer mod by the way will try!
Old 10/23/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Hodge - Python makes a very small, yet efficient siphon. I have one for my 5 gal hex and it takes about 3min to drain it half. That should give you roughly 5min or so...not too bad.

GDESQUIRE - Great idea! Will give that a try in the next day or two.

lpsluver - On a 1 to 10 how noisy is that overflow and water flow noise? My RSM is in my living room and I don't want to have to crank up the receiver to drown it out.
Old 10/23/2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Just FYI Premium Aquatics has 24gal PC lighted Aquapods on clearance for $119 for anyone needing a nice QT.
Old 10/23/2007, 11:19 PM
Excuse My French...

Nano Planner

I have started to use it... It works very nicely on the Mac as a widget. Free and very discreet ad links.

http://www.current-usa.com/nanoplanner.html

Hope that helps fellow reefers...
Old 10/24/2007, 06:40 AM
Registered Member

Hey guys,

Allow me to bust up the rythem, but I'm having a littlle problem with my chiller — BUBBLES! Holy crap is it bad. I have a Current 1/10 with a 1200 Maxi and the bubble are completely out of control.

Does anyone have the set-up running? Did you have bubbles?

Thanks!

aarf
Old 10/24/2007, 07:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Reefer82
lpsluver - On a 1 to 10 how noisy is that overflow and water flow noise? My RSM is in my living room and I don't want to have to crank up the receiver to drown it out.
Right now it is noisy/annoying. I bought all the parts to 1) modify the overflow by making it a Durso overflow. This should eliminate the noise, except for the flow through the tubing; 2) rebuild the overflow out of 1" PVC and make a Durso adaptation. This will be noiseless and should help with flow noise since it can handle more flow and will not be tumbling water through the piping.

Funny thing is, my wife was saying that I was ignoring her this weekend while working on the sump and overflow and wanted me to be finished with it already and quit fiddling with it. She is home Today and has to listen to the gurgling of the overflow and will me more then ready for me to fiddle with it/fix it when I get home.
Old 10/24/2007, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aarazorfish
Hey guys,

Allow me to bust up the rythem, but I'm having a littlle problem with my chiller — BUBBLES! Holy crap is it bad. I have a Current 1/10 with a 1200 Maxi and the bubble are completely out of control.

Does anyone have the set-up running? Did you have bubbles?

Thanks!

aarf
I have the same set up. I'm not having any problems like this. Check a couple of things. Make sure the MJ1200 is in sufficient water so it is not drawing in air as well as water. Make sure all of your connections are not leaking. If your flow is quick enough it could be sucking in air through any fitting/connection that is not tight.
Old 10/24/2007, 07:26 AM
Genuine reef addict

lpsluver - I get the same comment about being ignored also. Unfortunately it's true to some extent - it seems like the tanks always need something done to them, whether it's maintenance or mods. Good luck solving the overflow noise.

Laurent - thanks for the software link. I'd seen that once in the past and forgot where I'd seen it. I'll definitely download and install it tonight. The price is right too!

Hodge - did you ever figure out what was up with the skimmer cup filling up with water in 30 seconds?

nappi82 - good luck with the new BTA. Did the microbubbles get back to normal? Maybe it was just temporary due the power shortage?
Old 10/24/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

lpsluver - where do you have your return set?

aarf
Old 10/24/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aarazorfish
lpsluver - where do you have your return set?

aarf
I have the chiller return about 8" down the into the bubble trap/heater section (area between the skimmer and LR/Pump chamber).
Old 10/24/2007, 08:42 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lpsluver
I have the chiller return about 8" down the into the bubble trap/heater section (area between the skimmer and LR/Pump chamber).
Cool, that's how I have it too. Are you using hose clamps at all? I'm nervous about using stainless steel clamps, but your thought about air getting in is one I'd like to address. However, all my seals seemed tight. Maybe I'll check the seating rings on the chiller itself again.

I fina;;y had a bubble-free tank until this chiller showed up. But I gotta tell you, it keeps the temperature spot-on.

Sorry I'm rambling on, but I have one more question for you, was your chiller reading the wrong temp? Cause I have an American Marine digital and the temp on that and the one on my chiller are about 2 degrees off.

thanks for sticking with this. ha!

aarf