Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Upstate Reef Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/16/2007, 10:17 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Da Sabres

I just thought the Sabres deserved their own thread instead of being included with the Bills in the other current one.

Great finish to the game, I got to see the third period and OT but missed the first two which my wife described as 'boring' hockey. What a difference the third period must have been.

I was disappointed that unTIMEly Warner Cable did not put the VS channel at 700 so it could be watched in HD. Cannot wait for Verizon to offer TV over the fiber optic cables.
Old 10/16/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Well, the second period was "boring" I suppose. Mostly ruled by tickytack officiaiting and inefficient powerplays by the Leafs. The first period however was really exciting, we had tons of chances to score but just couldn't hit the net. Anyways, my friend guaranteed to the Leafs fans in our section that they'd be mourning another comeback loss at the border. And they gave him hell for saying it. How sweet it was to just look at them, put two hands around our throats and smile at the end of that game

Edit: And yeah, I can't WAIT for FIOS. Finally give TW some competition for their rediculous services.
Old 10/16/2007, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Never fear as you got to catch the best part of the game!!! would have been a shame if you caught the first two periods and missed the last period and OT!
Old 10/16/2007, 12:35 PM
Wish coral grew faster

I was not even concerned when it was 0-2, figured they would catch up and make a game of it...did not think 30 seconds apart though and then the back and forth.

I feel like I need to send a card to the Leaf (McCabe) who scored in the OT for us.
Old 10/16/2007, 02:20 PM
Registered Member

Great game. Really entertaining.They are explosive(two goals in 35seconds) 5 in twenty five minutes-WOW
Old 10/16/2007, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

That was a great game. I agree with Kurt, I feel like we owe a thank you to McCabe.
Old 10/20/2007, 08:05 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Last nights game vs Columbus was painful.

Hopefully they can pick it up in the third here tonight for a win.
Old 10/22/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

They looked terrible vs Columbus. It was almost hard to sit through the whole thing. It looked as if they gave up. They played better against Montreal but I bet they come out strong for the next game. I'm sure Lindy wasn't too impressed by their last two performances
Old 10/22/2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

not looking too good, Hope they pick it up.
Old 10/23/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Well... The Habs game was pretty pitiful.. But, the Habs have looked fantastic these past few games (Look at the drubbing they gave Boston last night).

Holding out hope we seek revenge on the 'Canes on Wednesday.

Oh, and hold out hope.. VZ-TV won't be too far out for Buffalo, or so a little birdie tells me..

-Andy/Oldimpala
Old 10/23/2007, 01:07 PM
Wish coral grew faster

Andy, see what the little birdie says will be the HDTV lineup for VZTV
Old 10/23/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

VZTV?
Old 10/23/2007, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Fletch-

VZ is the ticker symbol, and how internal folks refer to Verizon.... Commercial name is/would be FiOS TV...

Kurt-

Based on exisiting packages, the HD tier is about 35 channels, uncompressed (Unlike TW). Clarity will be like the DTV/Dish folks, but with 1080i, instead of 720p resolution restrictions, due to the increased bandwidth. A good chunk of it is national stuff (Like Discovery, TLC, TNT, A&E, etc), and of course the locals.

Not sure who they negotiated/closed with like MSG, etc, but bet your butt they won't miss the local sports networks like MSG and YES/HD (And, we do carry the NFL network, in NTSC and HD).

I know in DC, where I have played with FiOS TV, they carry a local HD sports station (For Redskins, Caps, Nats, etc.), a college HD sports station, and a few others...

Huge investment in a video distro facility that's being started in Buffalo, and that's the final piece. Rumor is TV will be available in Late Q108/Q2.

And, after watching tiling and pixelation on my uber-compressed "Digital" TW signal, I can't wait... If they drop the frame rates any lower to accomodate any new channels, it'll look like a filmstrip. It's not TW's fault, they inherited junk from Adelphia, I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

If I don't get FiOS soon, I'll jump to DirecTV...

-Andy
Old 10/23/2007, 04:28 PM
Wish coral grew faster

I can't get a sat signal from my house without cutting down trees else I would have jumped to a better signal long ago.
Old 10/23/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Kurt-

I have a chainsaw...

I just flinched at the cost of 2 HD-DVRs and an NTSC receiver. They've come down, but originally, I was talking about a $3K install.....(Each HD-DVR was $1400). The TW rental option at $9/mo seemed a whole lot better..

I've been talking with the engineers, they swear to me that I'll have FiOS by March; TV shortly thereafter... I'm trying to be patient.

-Andy
Old 10/24/2007, 05:29 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Wow, thats much further off than the estimate I had heard of September 2007. Of course that was a year ago and lots of infrastructure had to be built in...time lines change and 6 months is not really that long.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Huh, yeah we're still waiting for FIOS here in my area too. Soon as it's available I'm jumpin all over it. For now, we just got DTV (yesterday) and I'm mostly impressed with the channels over TW. Had to give up MSGHD but gained so much I'm not concerned. Besides, I go to most of the homegames anyways, lol. And the added bonus of getting HD hockey games with Center Ice and the NFL Network sorta put me over the edge on the DTV.

Anyways, Canes tonight huh? They've been hot lately... Lets see which Sabres team shows up tonight: the one that want's to play, or the one that doesnt seem to care.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:39 AM
Registered Member

Well I have Fios with Direct TV with the package, when the tech was installing the fios he was saying the TV part of FIOS won't be in until end of next year. But then again that was a month ago, thing could have been moved up. For people who like video streaming or downloading, FIOS is great.

Tonights game, I know it's early in season still but buffalo hasn't won on the road yet(2games). But lets see if Campbell, and Connolly step it up and push the Sabres to a victory.
Old 10/24/2007, 08:47 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Too bad Spacek wont be back tonight. Hopefully for the games this weekend.
Old 10/24/2007, 02:39 PM
Registered Member

Yea. I miss Spacek. I really like his play so far this year. I'm also hoping Connolly steps it up. We've all seen what he can do I just want to see it again.
Old 10/24/2007, 11:15 PM
...this is only a test...

What's going on with our boys this year??? Did they get spanked in the 3rd period or what? The game didn't start off so well either. I watched the anthem, took a steak out of the cooler (I was at work) salt and peppered it, put it on the grill and then looked back up at the tv... 0-1...Carolina!!! In less than one minute. ***!!?????
Old 10/25/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

they looked like they were tired.... even though they had a couple days in between games. It was like as if they had no heart... I watched from mid 2nd to mid 3rd periods. It's still early in the year...
Old 10/25/2007, 07:47 AM
Wish coral grew faster

Losing 3 in a row is not something you like to see, especially with their record so far this year.

They need a few players to step up the play.
Old 10/25/2007, 06:48 PM
Registered Member

They need a few players to step up the play

Looks like they just need a few more playerswith grit and preferably some size. Good thing they play alot of games and have time to set in right.
Old 10/25/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I think Rick Nash of Columbus would make an excellent Sabre. He's got size, speed, toughness, and is a great goal scorer. It is still early, they'll pull through.