Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/20/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

Anyone use a Glasscages tank?

I'm considering upgrading to a 200-300g tank and would like to use starphire glass. Glasscages has the best price but was wanting to hear from those of you that have used their tanks what you think of their quality.
Old 10/20/2007, 02:52 PM
Moved On

Hahaha all I gotta say is do a search for glasscages on all the forums... ie.. nano-reef, rc, and whatever others you visit. I personally will never buy from them because of what I have seen...
Old 10/20/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Todesengel
Hahaha all I gotta say is do a search for glasscages on all the forums... ie.. nano-reef, rc, and whatever others you visit. I personally will never buy from them because of what I have seen...
why?
what does it boil down to?
Old 10/20/2007, 03:01 PM
I buy in bulk!

Like every product some people have good luck, some bad. I have a friend that has a glasscages 120 and he has had no issues with it.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/20/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

I had a 240 from them crack at the seam within one week of setup...
Old 10/20/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I drove there and picked up my 90 gal from them. Out in the middle of nowhere near Nashville. Had a lot of large custom tanks, both glass and acrylic. It's on an old farm, but has quite an operation out there. My tank has been good, no problems yet. I'd buy from him again. Probably best to go and pick up your tank so you could inspect it first. I would deal with the owner, not his wife, from what I've heard. The're about 5 hours from me.

I will say, you get what you pay for.
Old 10/20/2007, 11:34 PM
Premium Member

I have one of there 240 gal with the over flow box's and they also custom built my sump from the plans I supplied and haven't had any problems. Been going for 18 months. Pictures in my gallery.
Old 10/21/2007, 01:21 AM
Registered Member

If you don't mind sloppy silicon, poor customer service and above average odds of a leak or crack they are the company for you.
Old 10/21/2007, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Because of the low prices, you get shoddy work. I've seen posts of tanks with edges not lining up, silicone mess, acryllic glue bubbles, minor scratches.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

I have one of their tanks.

It is a 150 with a center overflow. I have had it for about a year with no problems.

I picked it up a a show they went to in my town, and I did not pay any shipping.

The only thing I would say is that the silicone could of been neater at the seams. My tank is in wall so you don't even see the seams.

For the price you cannot beat it.
Once it is in place there is very little chance of cracks afterwards, and as far as the seams if it does not leak at the beginning it it most likely wont leak after.
Old 10/21/2007, 09:21 AM
Carpe Noctem

I've got a custom 190 from them. The silicone is nicer than any of the others I've had from the big names... I had a flawless transaction with them and my tank is built like.. Well... A tank
Old 10/21/2007, 09:24 AM
Registered Member

I have had a 250 glass for 1 year. No problems, but the edges are not perefectly matched. If you want perfect seams and polished edges look somewhere else. If you want to look into your tank at the animals you can save big $. I got a 100 gal acrylic sump and saved there also. The seams are glued with a thick glue, so not as pretty as others, but strong and functional. If they are driving their truck close to you there is a potential for more savings. The cost for most tanks that large ws $1,000 just for devliery to my area. They were making a delivery and charged me $100.
Old 10/21/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

ask around there alot of aquarium companys out there that can make what you want and the price isn't that much more when you get what you want