Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 07:56 PM
Premium Member

Dedicated Fish room?

Ok guys an gals, not sure if this is the place to ask this question, however if you have a large tank then most likely you have a dedicated room for all of your stuff, equipment, sump etc.... My question is: I am getting a lot of precipitation on my counters and other equipment. It is not dripping wet however it is bother because my room is enclosed with my home furnace. Salt is corrosive so I am concerned about this over a lengthly period of time. It seems that enough of the water is becoming atomized and is getting in the air and collecting on the flat surfaces of my equipment and alike. I am running a humidifier keeping the room at 60% humidity.any other ideas, how do you handle this?
Do be do be do. -- Sinatra
Old 10/17/2007, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

can you open a window or run an exhaust fan?
Old 10/17/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Are you running a Humidifier or a Dehumidifier??

Click the Little Red house for my New Tank Build!
Old 10/17/2007, 09:02 PM
Premium Member

Ooops that would be a dehumidifier! and no windows to open, closed basement room.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

I am trying to cut down on the bubbles in my sump, coming from my return and protein skimmer. None are getting back to the tank but enough to atomize some salt in to the air and create a mess.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

60% humidity is too high, more like 30% is what you want. if your dehumidifier cannot keep up set up an exhaust fan. Not to strong of a fan to keep from having negative air pressure and CO2 issues from furnace.
Install an A/C vent for the summer since that will dehumidify as well.
Old 10/17/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

i have my dehumidifier set to 80% and there is no condensation. I also have a 7'x3' sump in there and 200gal of open top RO storage tanks in there too. Also my Skimmer is going 24/7 in there too. Plenty of water. The room is completely sealed also. Its nice and warm in my room tho from the dehumidifier. Is your room cold??

Click the Little Red house for my New Tank Build!
Old 10/17/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

Thats what I thought for humidity, I just didn't want to be refilling my sump daily. Thanks for the reply.
Old 10/18/2007, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Install a chiller and you can cut down on fans, which contribute to humidity by evaporation.

My tank room has been running about 45% to 48% for the past 6 months. Which I thought was alright, no condensation and just a fraction higher that the rest of my house (North Texas with higher humidity to begin with). Based on where I live, I thought 45 to 48 was okay, what does everyone else think?
Old 10/18/2007, 10:13 AM
Registered Member

that room is sealed to tight and thats why you have that build up. and the temp on the other side of the fish room is much cooler. i would vent it into the cooler room to level out the temps more. i also would chech your dehumidifier to see if its working properly. i hooked mine up to my central air a/c automatic drain and i keep it running 24/7. water flows into the a/c drain and automaticaly gets pumped out of the house. the only other thing i can say you could do is install a remote a/c - im really not sure what they re called but the a/c can be installed in any room on any wall and then its vents and water are piped to a open locationin your wall going out. i have one in my office at work and the pipes just run up to the roof. hope this helps
Old 10/18/2007, 11:02 AM
Pingy Pingy!

Quote:
Originally posted by sullyfish
60% humidity is too high, more like 30% is what you want. if your dehumidifier cannot keep up set up an exhaust fan. Not to strong of a fan to keep from having negative air pressure and CO2 issues from furnace.
Install an A/C vent for the summer since that will dehumidify as well.
30% humidity is very low for most of the states unless you're in a super dry region. I personally wouldn't shoot for this for a number of reasons, evaporation being one, electricity used another. The comfortable "human" level of humidity is 40-55 if I remember correctly. My house runs 40ish, 50 near a bathroom during shower time, and 40-55 in the basement where my 180/sump/frag reside.
Old 10/18/2007, 11:04 AM
Premium Member

All great ideas, i am cleaning the dehumidifier right now so it is more efficient, and have moved a box fan into the room. Temp has not been a concern just the humidity. Thanks for the replies.