Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/17/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

Controller Users... Where do you put your probes?

Just like the title implies where do you put them?

I have an AcJr. and currently keep my PH & Temp Probe in the sump. I have been thinking about moving my temp probe to the main tank possibly in overflow.

I was thinking it might give a more accurate temp of the overall system.

My thoughts are that my sump is made of a 20g long and has a much smaller water volume. I thought it would be more greatly affected by the Skimmer pump, UV Sterilizer pump, Fuge Light, etc... whatever else one may have in there. (my retrun is external)

I have often thought the main tank water felt cooler than the sump water, but I could be wrong. I would guess with ones flow, fuge size, etc. through the sump it could vary.
Old 10/17/2007, 04:51 PM
Premium Member

Mine are in my overflow. It hangs low enough that the lights dont interfere.
Old 10/17/2007, 04:59 PM
I buy in bulk!

The water conditions in the sump and the tank should be the same.... unless your tank only turns over about once or twice an hour. All of your equipment would have to run exorbitantly hot to make an actual temp change from the time it goes from the tank overflow to the return pump.

Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience.

Do not for one minute believe this hobby is cheap or easy. Get a hooker if you want that!
Old 10/17/2007, 04:59 PM
4 8 15 16 23 42

In front of the return pump. My sump turns over in less than five minutes so pretty accurate.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

In the sump for sure.
Old 10/17/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

In the sump where the least amount of bubbles occur, bubbles can cause a mis-reading
Old 10/18/2007, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Sump as well.