Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 01:49 PM
Moved On

Hope this is not a stupid question. I have the D-D Giesemann Aquablue, is this significantly different for the ATi Aquablue Special everyone is describing?

Also, what is recommended to go with 2x 150W Phoenix 14,000K DE HQI MH bulbs for LPS/Softies/Shrooms? I have 2x 54W T5 sockets in front and back of the MHs.
Old 10/10/2007, 01:54 PM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Quote:
Originally posted by reefboy12
Grim,

Would the Ati colorpro look better then the uvl aquasun ( par aside)?

Thanks in advance
Hard to say. The pro Color doesn't have as harsh a look to it looking at the lamp. Probably a tossup depending on what mix of lamps you are using and personal taste.
Old 10/10/2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CruzinKim
Hope this is not a stupid question. I have the D-D Giesemann Aquablue, is this significantly different for the ATi Aquablue Special everyone is describing?

Also, what is recommended to go with 2x 150W Phoenix 14,000K DE HQI MH bulbs for LPS/Softies/Shrooms? I have 2x 54W T5 sockets in front and back of the MHs.
What a stupid question

They are slightly different but basically the same thing.

As far as supplimenting your halides I'd probably do 2 blue pluses and 2 Super Actinics if you want pop. If you want to kick up the PAR do 2 Blue Pluses and 2 Aquablues.
Old 10/10/2007, 02:03 PM
Moved On

I currently have this combo from front to back:

ATi Blueplus
Giesemann Aquablue
GE 3,000K
UVL Super Atinic

This combo is on an BTA anemone tank with some soft corals. I have a few RBTA, a GBTA with pink tips and a Brown BTA with green tips, neon green GSP and last pom-pom xenias. I don't like my current combo as the BTAs don't really pop out in color. Any suggestions to help the BTA really be more noticeable?
Old 10/10/2007, 02:09 PM

Perhaps try a UVL 75/25 in place of the 3000K or Aquablue and see what happens. I am not sure if the procolor would do anything for you or not. I could bring out reds a little better.
Old 10/10/2007, 02:11 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by The Grim Reefer
What a stupid question

They are slightly different but basically the same thing.

As far as supplimenting your halides I'd probably do 2 blue pluses and 2 Super Actinics if you want pop. If you want to kick up the PAR do 2 Blue Pluses and 2 Aquablues.
Thanks Grim. Another stupid question, what is the difference between the D-D Giesemann Aquablue and the ATi Aquablue Special? Is it worth a change?

In supplementing my Phoenix 14,000K MHs, I certainly don't need more PAR for LPS, softies & shrooms. But the Phoenix bulbs are already quite blue and doesn't really pop the LPS and shrooms as much as I like. Would the 2x Blueplus and/or 2x Super Atinics make it even bluer, or will that extra blue pop everything?
Old 10/10/2007, 02:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Perhaps try a UVL 75/25 in place of the 3000K or Aquablue and see what happens. I am not sure if the procolor would do anything for you or not. I could bring out reds a little better.
You're hitting right what I was thinking. I wanted to replace the 3,000K bulb as I think this was the bulb that was washing out the BTAs, but didn't know what to switch to. I was hoping that the new Pro Color would do something, think I'll try the UVL 75/25 first. Thanks.
Old 10/10/2007, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Okay, here's a hard one for Grim, fijiblue or anyone else who would like to chime in. I have a 92 gallon corner with a mixture of 4 24" bulbs and 4 36" bulbs, Icecap individual reflectors and overdriven by 2 Icecap 660s (retrofit kit). The lights are set out like this (only way they would fit over the corner tank):

Front

24" Blue Plus
36" Blue Plus
36" Aquablue Special
36" Aquasun
36" Blue Plus
24" Aquasun
24" Aquablue Special
24" Blue Plus

The lighting is even and there are no dark spots. However, I have always thought the tank looks too white and washed out. I was striving for a Phoenix 14k look and the above gives me more of a Ushio 10k crisp white look. When I point the reflectors on the Aquasuns up and stare at the tank, the look of the tank changes dramatically, and it appears like the overdriven Aquasuns are really overpowering the other lamps. So, when I saw the new ATI Procolors, I jumped at them. I have 1 24" and 1 36" on the way from reefgeek.

My question is, should I just replace the 24" and 36" Aquasuns with the 24" and 36" Procolors and leave the bulb configuration as is, or do you recommend changing bulbs around? If I just replace the Aquasuns and leave them as is, they will look like this:

24" Blue Plus
36" Blue Plus
36" Aquablue Special
36" Procolor
36" Blue Plus
24" Procolor
24" Aquablue Special
24" Blue Plus

Any help would be appreciated!
Hooper: That makes a lot of sense.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks Grim. Another stupid question, what is the difference between the D-D Giesemann Aquablue and the ATi Aquablue Special? Is it worth a change?

In supplementing my Phoenix 14,000K MHs, I certainly don't need more PAR for LPS, softies & shrooms. But the Phoenix bulbs are already quite blue and doesn't really pop the LPS and shrooms as much as I like. Would the 2x Blueplus and/or 2x Super Atinics make it even bluer, or will that extra blue pop everything?
I would try the Blue Plus/Actinic combo. The Blue Plus pics up colors the Super Actinic misses. The Combination also gives you a really nice look for dusk/dawn. But the actinics in fron't and I don't think you will notice a huge increase in the blue light.
Old 10/10/2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Reef Sponger
You're hitting right what I was thinking. I wanted to replace the 3,000K bulb as I think this was the bulb that was washing out the BTAs, but didn't know what to switch to. I was hoping that the new Pro Color would do something, think I'll try the UVL 75/25 first. Thanks.
Let us know how it turns out
Old 10/10/2007, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sirjohn
Okay, here's a hard one for Grim, fijiblue or anyone else who would like to chime in. I have a 92 gallon corner with a mixture of 4 24" bulbs and 4 36" bulbs, Icecap individual reflectors and overdriven by 2 Icecap 660s (retrofit kit). The lights are set out like this (only way they would fit over the corner tank):

Front

24" Blue Plus
36" Blue Plus
36" Aquablue Special
36" Aquasun
36" Blue Plus
24" Aquasun
24" Aquablue Special
24" Blue Plus

The lighting is even and there are no dark spots. However, I have always thought the tank looks too white and washed out. I was striving for a Phoenix 14k look and the above gives me more of a Ushio 10k crisp white look. When I point the reflectors on the Aquasuns up and stare at the tank, the look of the tank changes dramatically, and it appears like the overdriven Aquasuns are really overpowering the other lamps. So, when I saw the new ATI Procolors, I jumped at them. I have 1 24" and 1 36" on the way from reefgeek.

My question is, should I just replace the 24" and 36" Aquasuns with the 24" and 36" Procolors and leave the bulb configuration as is, or do you recommend changing bulbs around? If I just replace the Aquasuns and leave them as is, they will look like this:

24" Blue Plus
36" Blue Plus
36" Aquablue Special
36" Procolor
36" Blue Plus
24" Procolor
24" Aquablue Special
24" Blue Plus

Any help would be appreciated!
Try it as listed. That front Aquablue might be your issue. If the Pro Colors don't get you all the way there try the 75/25 or a super actinic where the first aquablue is and see what that does. Another idea would be to put the procolor in front of the Aquablue.

How many fans are you running on that system?
Old 10/10/2007, 09:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Try it as listed. That front Aquablue might be your issue. If the Pro Colors don't get you all the way there try the 75/25 or a super actinic where the first aquablue is and see what that does. Another idea would be to put the procolor in front of the Aquablue.

How many fans are you running on that system?
Sounds good. Thanks Grim.

I am running 2 pairs of those dual fans (4 fans in total) fijiblue has from drsfostersmith.com:

Old 10/10/2007, 09:50 PM

Nice fish bowl!
Old 10/10/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Hey,
does it make sense to replace four DE 400 watt 20K MH'S with 16 48 inche 54 watt T5's on a 380 gal tank 96"s long and 30"s deep. I keep stony corals and some soft corals and clams. Heat and power are my real enemies.I live MIami, been through 3 chillers, between the lights and the chiller there is a lot of heat. I figure between airconditioning, chiller and lights at 11.5 cents per kilo watt hour it costs about $200.00 a month. Any suggestions?
Old 10/10/2007, 11:01 PM
Moved On

If your setup was in San Francisco CA, the monthly bill would be $700/mo.

Seriously, why not change?
Old 10/10/2007, 11:02 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Nice fish bowl!

ouch, that hurts deep

But it's okay, I'm sure while I get some corals the fish really appreciate all the effort I'm putting into the lighting.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:08 PM

Hey it was a compliment you dufus
Old 10/10/2007, 11:10 PM
Moved On

sirjohn, great aquascaping. can't wait to see that all filled in.
Old 10/10/2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
sirjohn, great aquascaping. can't wait to see that all filled in.
There see, I aint the only one who can appreciate nice rock scaping. Make me come back in the thread and explain myself.

May your hair algae be plentiful and your Nitrate spikes many
Old 10/11/2007, 01:01 AM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Just received my new Pro Color and it looks great! I have a 54g corner bowfront with a Tek 24x4 sitting 4" above the water. Behind it I have a cheapo Odyssea 24x2 to simply handle dawn/dusk.

Configuration is:

Blue +
Aquablue Special
Giessemann aquablue + (11k)
Pro Color

The rear dawn/dusk fixture holds an actinic and actinic+

The tank is still in its infancy so its mostly rock.

Old 10/11/2007, 09:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Hey it was a compliment you dufus
Sorry, I'm a little sensitive about my naked rocks!
Old 10/15/2007, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

I got the ATI Procolors in (24 and 39 watt) and I thought I would share some before and after shots. Both shots are without flash.

First, with the Aquasuns:

Next, with the Procolors (after about a week of burn-in time):

You can see how the Procolors really bring out the purple and reds. The washed-out look I was getting from the Aquasuns is mostly gone (and Grim, I took your advice and moved the Aquablue behind the Procolor... thanks!).

The downsize is that the Procolors obviously have less PAR / are less bright. As with 10K/14k/20k Halides, I guess it comes down to a trade-off between maximum growth and aesthetics. For me, the aesthetics win. I'm keeping the Procolors.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:38 AM
Team RC Member

No fair moving your zoanthids between photos . I like the look of the ProColor better as well. I have a couple of the UVL Aquasuns in my 10-bulb configuration and I don't think I'm happy with them. I hadn't considered replacing them with ProColors, as that lamp (as in this thread) has been most often compared to the Fiji Purple, but it seems to me that's a nice alternative.
Old 10/16/2007, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
No fair moving your zoanthids between photos . I like the look of the ProColor better as well. I have a couple of the UVL Aquasuns in my 10-bulb configuration and I don't think I'm happy with them. I hadn't considered replacing them with ProColors, as that lamp (as in this thread) has been most often compared to the Fiji Purple, but it seems to me that's a nice alternative.
I moved the zoos because a big, ugly emerald crab I stupidly put in my tank likes to knock the rock with the zoos onto the sand (I haven't cemented the rock in place yet because I was acclimating the zoos to my lights). At least it's not eating the zoos... yet.

The Aquasuns put out good par, but I feel the light is just too harsh. In my set-up, a 6 bulb combination of blue plus and aquablue special bulbs could not soften one 39 watt and one 24 watt Aquasun sufficiently (for my taste). I considered keeping one Aquasun and swapping out the other for a Procolor, but when I saw the look with two Procolors, I was sold.
Old 10/16/2007, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

What is the burn in period for the Pro Color Bulbs? Does this burn in vary with type of bulbs or is it standard time for T5's?