Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/14/2007, 03:30 PM
Respek!

** 4 x 24W T5 enough for SPS? **

I'm conflicted about lighting choices for my 24 x 24 x 18 SPS dominated tank (tank has a false wall so the display area is actually 24 x 18 x 18). It's also a rimless cube so the fixture has to be able to be hung like a pendant.

Part of me wants to go with T5 to get even coverage across the tank and the other part of me wants to go with a MH pendant for obvious reasons.

I don't have any experience with T5 (lots with VHO though) and I'm skeptical about 4 x 24W being sufficient for good SPS growth and coloration in this tank. My available local options are the 4 x 24W Tek fixture, and for MH I'm considering a 250W OceanLight with 20,000K lamp. I realize that the Tek light isn't the best and I'd much prefer a 6 lamp T5 fixture but it's just not a readily available option.

What do you guys think I should go with - the Tek 4 x 24W or the 250W OceanLight @ 20,000K?

"mens sana in corpore sano"
Old 10/14/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

T5s just because you can throw different spectrums at the corals.
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 10/14/2007, 04:14 PM
Registered Member

T5 all the way just check out the tank of the month. also do you have any pics or your tank becuase I'm trying to do the same thing

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 10/14/2007, 04:38 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

normally i would say t'5s, but for that size tank one mh would suffice

i'd go with the smaller of the luminarcs and the 250w
Old 10/14/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

I would have to say that the light will not be enough to support Sps at the bottom. But if i was you I would get 1 250watt MH bulb to play it safe. You can't go wrong with that set up.
Michael
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 10/14/2007, 09:07 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trueblackpercula
I would have to say that the light will not be enough to support Sps at the bottom. But if i was you I would get 1 250watt MH bulb to play it safe. You can't go wrong with that set up.
Michael
i would have to disagree with this statement...i did it in a 18 inch tall tank for 7 months before i went back to my original custom acrylic..anything i put at the bottom thrived and colored up nicely with the 4x24 tek retro i use
Old 10/15/2007, 01:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sprite
i would have to disagree with this statement...i did it in a 18 inch tall tank for 7 months before i went back to my original custom acrylic..anything i put at the bottom thrived and colored up nicely with the 4x24 tek retro i use
What lamps were you using?
Old 10/15/2007, 02:30 AM
Premium Member

tank of the month uses t5s only and his tank has a 30" height so you should be fine. i think a MH would be easier to set up though
Old 10/15/2007, 04:22 AM
Premium Member

I do not use T-5 because they are bad for the environment and cause global warming
Old 10/15/2007, 08:15 AM
Respek!

Thanks for the replies.

I know Paul Whitby's tank is lit with T5s but he has 14 lamps across the 48" tank width and I'm concerned that 4 lamps across 18" @ 24W is inadequate. I'm also getting mixed reviews - which I expected

Old 10/15/2007, 08:24 AM
SPS Kibitzer

I just saw in person a few days ago my first SPS T-5 tank and for all you nay sayers out there, I have to tell you that the growth and the colors were good if not better than most MH tanks I have seen
Old 10/15/2007, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

I'd go MH for that size as well. I don't think 4 bulbs across is enough.

Have you looked at the Aquactinics 5xT5 fixture? Actively cooled, better reflectors and 5 bulbs. Think its $320 for 24 inch. Still same issue with width, but it has more par.
Old 10/15/2007, 10:03 AM
Respek!

I looked at the Aquactinics fixture and I like the fact that it's actively cooled and has 5 lamps. But there are two problems for me:

1) It's not available locally - I'm in Vancouver, Canada and while our dollar is now worth more than a USD the shipping and duty incurred by ordering online will increase the price considerably (around 30%).

and

2) The fixture is hideous - No offense to anyone who owns one but it looks like an inverted slop trough on a farm. I need to hang it from the ceiling so it's going to be exposed and that thing won't pass my tests for aesthetics let alone my wife's

Old 10/15/2007, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

I was running a 150 watt 10k halide over my tank. It is 30" by 18" by 20". I switched to 4 24 watt T5s overdriven with an ice cap ballast and with ice cap reflectors. I noticed the a couple of my low light sps like a garf bonsai and a monti that I have bleached a little even though they are down towards the bottom. I have been happy with the switch. My colors have not changed much with the switch, though.

Blair
Old 10/15/2007, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Canadian
I looked at the Aquactinics fixture and I like the fact that it's actively cooled and has 5 lamps. But there are two problems for me:

1) It's not available locally - I'm in Vancouver, Canada and while our dollar is now worth more than a USD the shipping and duty incurred by ordering online will increase the price considerably (around 30%).

and

2) The fixture is hideous - No offense to anyone who owns one but it looks like an inverted slop trough on a farm. I need to hang it from the ceiling so it's going to be exposed and that thing won't pass my tests for aesthetics let alone my wife's
lol...yea, it is ugly. Mine's in a canopy now so you can't see it.