Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

got my RBTA

its been in my tank alittle more that a day picked a spot and stayed there
the only thing is my clown fish won't go near it i know that its not a 100 percent that they will host but about how long till i give up hope
the clowns are false percs
thanks roland
Old 10/12/2007, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

What other corals do you have? I would think that after a week or 2 if not hosting then not interested. I got 2 tomato clowns and as soon as i added them they went strait to my enemone. After they worked thier sesx out the female will only let the male on the outside. But my male will host any nearby coral.
She loves that thing so much that whene i removed the rock it was on she stuck to the enemone so hard i didnt see her in their and freaked whene i didnt see her in the cage. I think she would rather die then be without her drug. Hehe
Old 10/12/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

awhile ago they it looked like they hoted my mushroom but that was awhile ago it was for a day or 2 and that was it
Old 10/12/2007, 08:21 PM
Registered Member

That fasle perc may not have any interest in hosting anything. My bro's false never hosted any coral. I think tank breeding my have a hand in this. Also if there are no other fish that scare him he doesnt need a safe house.
Go to the clown fish forum and ask there may have better response.
Old 10/13/2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

I have heard of people "training" their clowns to host. Of course if they don't want to, then they never will. I don't know how they do this, but perhaps they would know at the anemone and clown forum. I'd be interested to know this myself.
Old 10/13/2007, 12:12 AM
Registered Member

yeah have a post there also but didn't get that much more info
i hope that once the rbta there in the same spot for a few days they will host I HOPE if not the rbta is awesome looking anyway most people think it is a type of coral lol
Old 10/13/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

well first off a BTA anemone is not a natural anemone for percs or occ. clowns however they will go into them. I have a LTA and a GBTA in my tank and my clowns won't go in them either they host my toadstool leather instead
Old 10/13/2007, 12:31 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
What other corals do you have? I would think that after a week or 2 if not hosting then not interested. I got 2 tomato clowns and as soon as i added them they went strait to my enemone. After they worked thier sesx out the female will only let the male on the outside. But my male will host any nearby coral.
She loves that thing so much that whene i removed the rock it was on she stuck to the enemone so hard i didnt see her in their and freaked whene i didnt see her in the cage. I think she would rather die then be without her drug. Hehe
DITTO Tomatos love BTAs
Old 10/13/2007, 12:39 AM
Aquarium Addict

Funny story. I had read that if you put pictures of clowns hosting in anenomes against the glass of the aquarium, they might get the idea. Didn't work for me. I ended up putting a Maroon Clown in the tank and he went right for my BTA. He now shares it with a smaller Yellowstripe Maroon Clownfish.
Old 10/13/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

well now and i never seen this before with my clowns they are now hosting a small cave inside a piece of lr
its HOPELESS
Old 10/13/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

you could always try rearranging your rocks.
Old 10/13/2007, 02:33 AM
Registered Member

My clownfish took over 3 months to host in my BTA. Give it time.
Old 10/13/2007, 02:42 AM
Registered Member

I agree it takes time for the instinct to hit with false percs. Plus bta's arent a natural host for them.

I had a green bta in the tank for a month and a half before the clown hosted. One day he was just in it.
Old 10/13/2007, 05:52 AM
Premium Member

i had my LTA for a few months before my clowns started hosting it.
Old 10/13/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

thanks for giving me hope every one