Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Freed, I would call these people myself, but i can not give them the information that they will need to do anything. please contact any of these people at your local spca

Mike DeFreeuw,president; Dr. Sunil Gupta or Dr Alan Fox, medical advisors;
Jill Borkenstein Director
the Shelter Phone # is (260) 744-0454
Old 10/10/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

the above is the spca in Ft. Wayne, which I realized after posting is not actually where the dog is, but rather where you live. sorry if that makes the above information irrelative.
the link for the hamilton county humane society is this:http://www.hamiltonhumane.com/contact.htm
that page is the contact sheet for them, listing all the members of the board and what not.
Old 10/10/2007, 08:11 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Any update?

Freed, nothing but love here, man, but you've been more than patient with your local animal control folks. You can keep sitting around and waiting or just DO SOMETHING to help this poor animal. Call the news media, call PETA, take him to the vet yourself and then return him... whatever, just DO SOMETHING.

You've got us all rooting for you, we're waiting to see that dog get the help it needs before it's too late. Please...

Have you talked to the owner?

Look at it this way, even if you do get arrested, it will be on a misdemeanor charge. You'll go to court with Batguano and Nina and show the judge the picures and information you've compiled. I'm thinking any judge is going to think twice about convicting you, knowing that the news media will have a hayday, AND even if he does, you're likely to get a slap on the wrist at worst.

At the VERY LEAST, contact your local news and cut them in. They'll have a much better opportunity to get action. Have you thought about contacting the Mayor's office?
Old 10/10/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by petoonia
Im sorry but I couldn't even watch the whole video. That is horrific, even if the dog gets rescued you need to send all of your pictures and information to the local newspaper for the town the dog is in. There is no reason that dogs suffering should have been ignored by the local officials in that town. The thing that is really getting me so angry is that any person with half a brain can see that dog is neglected and suffering. Yet a trained police officer looked at that dog, and thought the dog was ok. That officer could have removed that poor dog, and actually helped it. From the sound of it he just didn't want to bothered. Any officer I have ever known in all of my life would not have walked away from any animal in that condition!!! Ask any of our officers that post here in the lounge, and my guess is if they were in that situation they would have helped that poor dog in a minute.

Freed you are doing a great thing you need not apologize for anything. If only more people cared half as much as you do, this world would be a much better place for animals!!!!
I have herd a story in wich a family was taking themsleves and the family dog on a trip. The stopped(I forget why) by someones house. a person steps out and the dog starts barking, the dog was in the back of a truck. A police officer then took the FAMILY dog, drug it infront of the car, pulled out his gun and loaded it, and killed the dog infont of the FAMILY and every body els just for barking at someone.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

call the local news, give them the footage of the dog, tell them what animal control did-- problem will be solved. that poor little guy needs a vet ASAP.
Leilani Munter | Driver of the #57 Indy Pro Series SMART Papers Dallara
Running for 2008 Indy Pro Series Rookie of the Year
Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you'll land among the stars...
Old 10/10/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I agree with everyone.
Old 10/10/2007, 09:36 PM
Who's your daddy

wow almost a month now and
Old 10/11/2007, 04:36 AM
Stop touching me!!!

btt
Old 10/11/2007, 08:32 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Just talked to WPTA news here in Fort Wayne. They said they will bring it up in their news meeting they are having right now and they will get back with me. If they don't want to do anything I know someone that will and will be contacting them.

Catdoc, would you consider 3"-4" nails a bit long? Would they hinder a dog from getting exercise? Painful? I know the answer but I want more ammo for animal control or the judge if I get arrested.
Old 10/11/2007, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

GOOD, try to get thier e-mail and send them the pics, can't imagine them not throwing down on this one

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 10/11/2007, 09:04 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Yay!!!
Old 10/11/2007, 10:23 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Hmmmm, must be a really long meeting.
Old 10/11/2007, 10:36 AM
no time for spell check!

freed im glad you are going about this in the right way. its very hard to see this animal in this poor of shape but you can just tak the dog either. you doing things by the leter of the law and in the end this poor dog will get the medical attention it needs and the love of a new home and owner.
now that you have decided to go to the media it may help if you tell us which station you went to. if they decide not to run this story than we can all start calling that station to give you some support. if they recieve enough calls from around the united states they will be forced to run this story. in a way this story is already nation wide. now it need to be brought to the for front of the news. you dont need to do this all on your own freed, let us help too. there is big power in numbers. all it takes i 50 phone calls to the news department from around the usa.

thanks for keeping up the fight to save this poor dog. he will be greatful in the end.

your a true hero!
Old 10/11/2007, 10:39 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed
Just talked to WPTA news here in Fort Wayne. They said they will bring it up in their news meeting they are having right now and they will get back with me. If they don't want to do anything I know someone that will and will be contacting them.

Catdoc, would you consider 3"-4" nails a bit long? Would they hinder a dog from getting exercise? Painful? I know the answer but I want more ammo for animal control or the judge if I get arrested.
Old 10/11/2007, 11:02 AM
no time for spell check!

ok people. if you want to help freed get this poor dog some despratelly needed help you need to let the news station know its important for them to run this story and not sweep it under the rug. there is power in numbers and everyone needs to chip in. if enough of us send emails to this station they will be pressured to run this story no matter what. this is getting attention from around the entire usa so they will have to run it.

here is the web site so you can send the tv station an email on this story. make sure to include the link tothis thread here on reef central so they know that all the emails are the same topic, but from different poeple. if they come from different parts of the united states it will make all the difference in the world. if they know people are watching they will run it no mater what.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/yourtwocents
Old 10/11/2007, 11:11 AM
Guardian of Little People

I think the dog would be better served by contacting the police or humane society. I just don't think the media will get involved.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/11/2007, 11:21 AM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by thegheco
I have been following the updates on this poor dog, I am wondering, if you keep visiting him and also filming him without being noticed , why have you not loaded the poor thing up and taken it to the vets?
You are triming it's nails? Right?
And no one is there?
I just don't understand why you have not taken the dog to get help for him by now?
I don't understand what you are waiting for.
You can see no one but you cares .(and the RC loungers of course)
You have now told everyone and their brother about this dog, and now you can't take it for fear of being blamed?
I can understand that.
But please, don't torture the poor thing and us by keeping us wondering why this dog has not gotten help by now.
Step up and do what is right.
Take him to the vets already please.
you have to look at this from a legal stand point. that would be theft. he could get in alot of trouble for that. he is doing everything he can. try to see things from his shoes. he is the one who has to see this poor dog in person all the time. he knows better than we do what this dog is going through. some times it is better to work with the system that against the system. if we all write emails to the news station they will get involved and things will work very quickly from there. there is alot more to this story than poor alf. the local animal shelter is not doing there jobs! that i s just as bad as what the owner is doing to this poor dog.
so please try to look at this from freed's shoes. he is doing his best for alf. in the end alf will get some help. and hopefully the officer that checked on alf and said he was fine will end up with a camera in his face asking him why he was so lazy and didnt do his job.
Old 10/11/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Freed

why not do that anyway, while you wait to hear back from them?
Old 10/11/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
you have to look at this from a legal stand point. that would be theft. he could get in alot of trouble for that. he is doing everything he can. try to see things from his shoes. he is the one who has to see this poor dog in person all the time. he knows better than we do what this dog is going through. some times it is better to work with the system that against the system. if we all write emails to the news station they will get involved and things will work very quickly from there. there is alot more to this story than poor alf. the local animal shelter is not doing there jobs! that i s just as bad as what the owner is doing to this poor dog.
so please try to look at this from freed's shoes. he is doing his best for alf. in the end alf will get some help. and hopefully the officer that checked on alf and said he was fine will end up with a camera in his face asking him why he was so lazy and didnt do his job.

I don't want to start an argument and I am squarely in Jeff's corner on this, but taking it upon oneself to help an animal in distress is not theft. Let me put it another way. If you were driving down the road and you saw a child struggling to get away from an adult and screaming "You are not my parent!" would you be guilty of kidnapping if you stopped and took the child to a police station? How about this? You are driving along and you see a child struck by a car. You don't have a cell phone and you are on a country road. The other car speeds away. If you stop to help this child and transport him to the nearest hospital, are you guilty of kidnapping? These are extreme examples and yes, a child is not a dog. A dog is a piece of property, but it is also a living breathing organism and it feels pain and it will not live forever under such conditions of stress and neglect. There are times when exceptions can be made. I am confident that this is one of those times. The fact that animal control is not helping is unfortunate and that, in and of itself, is justification to act. No one who has viewed this thread will argue that the dog is fine.

"If anyone offers you pigeon milk, say no thanks." - Fat Man.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
ok people. if you want to help freed get this poor dog some despratelly needed help you need to let the news station know its important for them to run this story and not sweep it under the rug. there is power in numbers and everyone needs to chip in. if enough of us send emails to this station they will be pressured to run this story no matter what. this is getting attention from around the entire usa so they will have to run it.

here is the web site so you can send the tv station an email on this story. make sure to include the link tothis thread here on reef central so they know that all the emails are the same topic, but from different poeple. if they come from different parts of the united states it will make all the difference in the world. if they know people are watching they will run it no mater what.

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/news/yourtwocents

I just sent one, but im wondering if they will be able to view the page if they are not a member of RC?
Old 10/11/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

the lounge is not viewable to guests, but i think if they recieve the same information over and over again they may be pursuaded to get a free account. i did include the thread info in my two cents. for what its worth. hope that helps!
Old 10/11/2007, 04:40 PM
Guardian of Little People

BG, I'll grab the dog and you drive the getaway car. I think Nina still has her 39 Chevy she got as a graduation gift.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 10/11/2007, 04:44 PM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

When it was brand new?
Old 10/11/2007, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

did the news people get back to you, Freed?
Old 10/11/2007, 04:49 PM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1226111