Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2007, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

My first sump/fuge project

So im sick of my UGF HOB and canister filter because they are a nightmare in keeping my nitrate in check. I just bought a new 75 gal tank and im doing my first sump/fuge project. Im not sure how im doing it and im looking for input. My options are wide open, i dont even know where im drilling my holes yet. its a 75 gal tank with a 55 gal sump/fuge. Im not sure if im drilling my holes in the back corners or the middle, top or bottom its all in the air! When it comes to the sump/fuge i dont have much room so it all needs to fit in the 55 gal if its doable.

The only option ive seen from looking at others sump/fuges is:
1: Sump then baffles then fuge then overflow to a return pump

2: Sump then return then fuge both with overflows to the middle for return

Does anyone have any other ideas for a creative sump/fuge to go in a 55 gal? Or with one of the above is the best way to go this is my first sump/fuge project and all the info out there is overwhelming lol any help would be wonderful so i dont mess two tanks up and end up with a bad setup
Old 10/07/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I like option number 1. That's how I did my proclear pro150 on my 55.
Old 10/07/2007, 05:49 PM
Premium Member

FWIW, mine is done like #1, but with 3 chambers. Virtually 0 microbubbles go back into the tank. I would have preferred to have my skimmer in that leftmost chamber as well and have the feed pump in the return area, but I do not have enough room, so the skimmer is in the return area as well. Also, because my seahorse tank is also plumbed into the reef system, I have a pump that feeds the seahorse tank located in the return (middle) chamber and the overflow from the seahorse tank feeds the right chamber which is a fuge area.
Old 10/07/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

baldgeek do you have a picture of your setup? Number 1 has three chambers a intake with a skimmer baffles then a fuge then a overflow to a return pump. or do you have a different set up i would love new ideas and set ups

RIP Duke

I LOVE WILD TURKEY RARE BREED!!!!!
Old 10/07/2007, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

I can see if I can take a pic of it or at least do up a diagram. Basically, the sump is a 12"-ish high 45G tank with overflows draining into a filter sock on the leftmost side. There is a set of baffles with a sponge to get rid of the bubbles. The main return pump is a Dolphin Ampmaster which is outside. The pumps for the skimmer, skimmer, and feed pump to the seahorse tank are all in the middle chamber. The rightmost chamber is separated by a 10" piece of plexi so that is acts as a fuge section. Has a light and is fed by the seahorse tank. Seems to work very well. Kalk and calc feeds go into the leftmost chamber.
Old 10/07/2007, 08:16 PM
Premium Member

Oh, I did forget to mention that the feed pump and return line for the skimmer are also located in the middle section. I got a little crowded in there, so I build a 4" or so platform on which the skimmer sits. If the sump were a foot or so longer, I would be all set, but if it were any longer, I would really have a helluva time even getting under the stand.
Old 10/07/2007, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Dang it, I mean feed and return for the chiller.
Old 10/08/2007, 05:09 AM
Registered Member

That sounds interesting. Im not sure how i like the idea of having a return pump outside the tank. What was the reason for you doing this? was it just based on the room you had?

RIP Duke

I LOVE WILD TURKEY RARE BREED!!!!!
Old 10/08/2007, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

No, it's an external pump.
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_Aquari...es_aqua_sea_sp

For larger pumps, I am not sure there is really any alternative. They also do not add as much heat to the water and it saves a couple of elbows in the plumbing.