Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/07/2007, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Tank Crash

Most of my sps is dead and some other corals are dead. I was able to save all the fish though. I had a turbo twist short and shocked me and the tank. So i just did a 60g water change and fish are looking good again and some corals are coming out again. Checked all the levels everything looks good.

Just checked the turbo twist that gave me a really big shock. Its seal inside broke and water poored into the bulb. Will post pics of what it looks like later, the shock took me off the ground and i am 6' 1'' and 200 pounds. I took the turbo twist a part and the uv had leaked into the bulb and water was flowing into the bulb with the uv on. I have no clue how long either, i was trying to fix a knocked over coral, and i got a little shock, then unpluged each thing conected to the tank until got to the uv that ended up giving me a really big shock. So i was wanting to know if theres any way to know if i could try sps again or if i have to start over, my softies are coming back but non of the sps. i did a few water changes. Dunno if the bulb had copper or anything else that cause the crash other than the big shock.
Old 10/07/2007, 01:11 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
SPS are horrible when it come to drastic changes in water quality..

get a copper test and try it out.. then go from there..

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 10/07/2007, 01:12 AM
TRC Leader

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. Your's is not the first Turbo Twist 'shocked me' story.

The best way to check your tank for unwanted elements is to use Poly Filter. That is the name brand of the product. You place it in your sump or inside a canister filter (cut to shape and stacked within) and let water flow through it for 24 hours. It will absorb most anything, and depending on what it pulled out, the pad will change color accordingly. Read the packaging to find out what it pulled out based on the color it turned.

After running that for a couple of days and running some fresh carbon (GAC) in a canister filter or Phosban Reactor, get a healthy frag from someone and see how it does in your tank.

Hopefully your system will be back to normal.

Personally, I don't use UV at all and haven't in the 10 years I've been in the hobby. It may be useful for a quarantine tank, but I don't feel it needs to be used in a reef. JMO.
Old 10/07/2007, 02:11 AM
Registered Member

tank

Thanks for the imput. I have ordered the Poly Filter and will go from there. I dont plan on using another uv and not another turbo twist for sure!
Old 10/07/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Do you run your power through a GFCI? Sorry about your incident, and I'm glad that you apparently weren't badly hurt!