Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Wisconsin - Fox Valley Reefers Club (FVRC)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/04/2007, 12:45 AM
Burned Out

Just had a fire drill.

Sittin watchin TV. All of a sudden I smelled a strong smoke. If you know what elecrical fires smell like. That's what I smelled. Well 15 minutes of trouble shooting and I couldn't find the source. So got the kids out of the house, two parrots, a cat a dog and a guinny pig. Called the fire department. Figured they would send a couple of people. Four fire trucks and about 25 firemen later we were getting evacuated ourselves. Took about an hour or so and we finally found the problem. A failed GFI. The firemen did an awesome job and I hate to say I am a little embarrased that I did not notice the bad gfi myself.

Thankfully we found it, no one was hurt and nothing was lost. But if I hadn't of been home the wife and kids would have been sleeping and it could have been disastrous.
Old 10/04/2007, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Thank god everyone is ok!

1-75g FW Planted
1-55g African Cichlid
1-125g w/ 4 turts
1-75g RR Reef
1-12g NC Mantis, 1-12g AP Brittle Star
2-cats
2-dogs (1 Catahoula Leopard Mix & 1 Shepherd Mix)
Old 10/04/2007, 07:30 AM
Eye on our reefs

Glad to hear everyone is ok and that it was only minimal damage.
Old 10/04/2007, 07:51 AM
Burned Out

It was scary. I will see if I can take a piture of the GFI. I might not have time for awhile.

Scott
Old 10/04/2007, 10:55 AM
:::===( @ | }

And I thought GFI's were to save lives, glad everybody is alright.

Was it one in the house, or one you installed for the fish tank?
Old 10/04/2007, 12:58 PM
Burned Out

Fish tank.

What I think happened was the heavy duty outdoor timer I had the lights hooked up to caused a surge as it was shutting off, I know that doesn't make sense but I have seen it hapen before. I always replace my timers about every two years and this one was ready to go. But I have ben so busy with other things that the tanks just don't get the time they deserve. With that I didn't notice anything. I didn't know it was the GFi until I pulled it out and the plastic was burnt right through. The fire dept suggested the circiut was overloaded but it wasn't. In fact I have two 20 amp circuits for this system and niether gets a heavy load. The GFI didn't do what it was suppose to and the timer was getting bad. Just glad I was there and we caught it before it caused any problems. I could have lost the whole house had we been gone.

Water was not an issue either as the outlets are well above the waterline. I took many precautions when I set this system up.

I strongly suggest people check the GFI's in the house. OH and even though it failed I would not set up a tank without one.

Scott
Old 10/04/2007, 05:52 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Did you have an inductive load on that GFCI? Was it wired wrong.. or just 'defective'? Interesting.
Old 10/04/2007, 06:53 PM
Burned Out

It was not wired wrong. And I did not overload it. It did not get wet. I think it was a couple of things that led to it. biggest thing was a bad timer IMO. But I am electrically challenged if you know what I mean.

I just think the turning on and off of the timer led to the issues. But the GFI did not trip like it was suppose to.
Old 10/04/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

like anything else, you can have defective stuff. when I built my home theater a few years ago, I had a defective gfci right out of the box. would constantly trip.