Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/03/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

need help, please!!!

I decided to do a water change tonight, and good thing I tested the water before adding it in. But the bad thing is that I already took out the old water in the tank, about 15-20%, and the ph in the tank is 8.4, and the ph in the water I'm supposed to add has a PH of about 7.9.
It is the same oceanic salt mix I have been using in this tank since I got it.
I do have PH buffer with me, what do I do?!?!!
Old 10/03/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Anyone...????
Old 10/03/2007, 09:25 PM
Master of Funk

Do you have a powerhead in it to mix it? I think some aeration will bring the PH up with out the buffer.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

The water before adding was on mixing for a day.
The water in the tank is also 1.023 SG, and the new water is 1.024, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal, its not that much water I'm changing. But, I don't want to shock anything with the lower PH water...!
Old 10/03/2007, 09:30 PM
Moved On

With the powerhead mixing the water, I would add the buffer until you reach 8.4 ph or no lower than 8.2. Then just pump it back into your tank. Make sure the salinity and temp is close too.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Bad news, PH bufferer is only for freshwater tanks.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:33 PM
Master of Funk

I think I remember Oceanic salt being low in PH when I used to use it. You could buffer the water a little and then slowly add it to the tank. It really shouldn't cause too much of a problem.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:39 PM
Registered Member

Thanks. I experimented with the test tubes- I mixed in both, making it a 10ml solution out of a 5, and the PH mixed into about 8.1 or 8.3, I can't really tell, and this is pretty much what's going to happen in the tank. So its less 7.9 than 8.4, so it should mix up to be 8.2, and be back to normal after more flow from the tank by tomorrow.

Good idea or not?
Old 10/03/2007, 09:42 PM
Master of Funk

Heres a good article about low PH.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.php

Randy says acceptable PH is 7.8 - 8.4 so you should be fine. What test kit are you using? Some of the cheaper ones are impossible to get an accurate reading from. In the long run a meter will be less expensive than kits and far more accurate.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:44 PM
Moved On

Yes, just pump the water in slowly, so the pH doesn't drop too quickly.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:44 PM
Master of Funk

Also, your tank fluctuates PH all day long every day anyway depending on several factors. At night the PH could potentially drop lower than 7.8, but you wouldn't know it unless you tested for it.
Old 10/03/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much Poppin and Kim..!
I will add it in slowly.
I think my PH rises at night, I have never tested it at 8.4, most I have tested is 8.2
I use an API test kit, yeah I know pretty cheap, but they are pretty accurate in my opinion. Its the only one I've ever used..haha.
Old 10/03/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Added it in, all looks great. I'll test ph again in 15 minutes. Thank you!
Old 10/03/2007, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Ok after 15 minutes, all the inverts an corals are good, the fish is good, the snails are good, so I think everything is fine.
Thanks again for all of your help..!
I can't test the water today, as I have to get up at 5am...!
Thank you for all the help!