Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/02/2007, 02:05 PM
Registered Member

Pairing dwarf angels

I am lokking for any info on pairing dwarf angelfish. I am getting a mature atlantic pygmy angel within the next few days and am thinking about trying to pair it up with another. The one I am getting is a full grown one from a friend. I'm asuming I would want to put them in at the same time but don't know too much about pairing any fish except clowns. Maybe one bigger than the other? Don't know. My tank is a 3ft 65 gallon tank. Should I try it? Not try it? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10/02/2007, 10:04 PM
Our man in the East

Firstly you have to identify that one is male and the other is female. I think I am right in saying that juvenile Centropyge angels begin life as female and turn into males. If you are getting a mature fish then pair itwith the smallest juvenile you can. If you put two males in all hell will break loose. I would suggest placing them in at the same time after they have both been in the same QT for a while.
Here is a thread from reefers who attempt pairng and creating harems of angels.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...me+angel+harem
Old 10/03/2007, 08:31 PM
Registered Member

Thanks a lot for the info and the link. Any other opinions? Would you do it? and how?
Old 10/03/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

I think Inland aquatics sells them in pairs. They have been around for ages.
Old 10/04/2007, 01:06 AM
Registered Member

I have a lemonpeel and a coral beauty that have lived together peacefully for almost 3 years now.

I introduced them to the tank roughly 2 weeks apart, and they were about the same size. I have never had any problems with them fighting, and was told this is due to them being totally different colors and slightly different in appearance (lemon has a kind of beak-like mouth, bodies are slightly different)

I have heard lemonpeels in general do well with other dwarfs, however flames for example for the most part do not.

I dunno, maybe it all comes down to is I was just lucky...
Old 10/04/2007, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Check the RCT site if you can find - try googling for captive bred centropyge or similar - Frank Baensch had some useful info on that site. I have an old thread on how I paired Centropyge flavipectoralis, and that method has worked for me as a 'cookbook' - get two very small fish. I would not try it with two mature fish.
Old 10/04/2007, 08:39 AM
Our man in the East

Quote:
Originally posted by roushracer
I have a lemonpeel and a coral beauty that have lived together peacefully for almost 3 years now.

I introduced them to the tank roughly 2 weeks apart, and they were about the same size. I have never had any problems with them fighting, and was told this is due to them being totally different colors and slightly different in appearance (lemon has a kind of beak-like mouth, bodies are slightly different)

I have heard lemonpeels in general do well with other dwarfs, however flames for example for the most part do not.

I dunno, maybe it all comes down to is I was just lucky...
Dan9 wants to pair centropyges not mix them. Big difference