Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/29/2007, 11:13 AM
Registered Member

green slimy algea and live rock problem

Since my tank has been setup, about 4 months now probably, green slimey algae has constantly been growing on the live rock. At first my calcium was low, but now its up around 440. Ph I always have a hard time getting an accurate reading on, but its usually around 8.0 or higher. When I try to remove the green algea with my fingers, the rock seems like it's so soft it's just crumbling when I touch it. Anyone know what could be causing this? Nitrates are at 10, ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Thanks.
Old 09/29/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

What are your phosphates reading? Do you use RO water? If not, this is a source of nutrients for algae. Do you have a fuge? A fuge would elminate the nutrients in conjucntion with RO water.
Old 09/29/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

The phosphates were reading about a month ago, but I added phos zorb to the filter so they should be reading 0 by now. I do not have a fuge and I don't really have room or money for one, so that's kind of out of the question.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Anybody else have any ideas?
Old 09/30/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Are you using RO/DI water? What are your TDS readings? Sounds like you have high nutrients and low flow in your tank.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

I was not using RO water but now I am when I do water changes. Shoprite has RO gallon waters for 39 cents. My flow rate is around 1100 gph including my filter, skimmer, and 2 powerheads. The tanks is 75 gallons. What are TDS readings? (sorry for my ignorance)