Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/27/2007, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

remote sump no heat/a/c

I'm wanting to plumb my sump in my basement. Problem = If its 40 outside, its 40 in my basement. Couple ideas I've thought about, building a cabinet big enough to house sump/fuge and heat it with radiant heat panels. (have extras from my Beardie incubators).
Here comes the redneck reef tank idea. Use a stand up freezer laid on its back, all equipment stripped, and holes plugged, for a sump (also have on hand). It should have good insulation. Maybe with some BFH's it could maintain temp.

One of my main concern was the protein skimmer, it has to cool the water alot injecting cold air into it. Possibly put the skimmer on a timer to run only in the afternoon when its at its warmest.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm probably going to set it up with very minimal live stock (enough that could be moved into one of my smaller tanks.) through this winter to see how it works.
tank specs : Acrylic 180, 75gal sump (unless freezer is used), Two mag18's, and ASM 4plus with Sedra 9000 pump. Metal halides, havn't deciced on wattage yet.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

Why not draw skimmer air from the upstairs. Run a 1/2" airline alone with the plumbing.

Could you not build a small fishroom in the basement, and insulate very well? That way you would have a comfortable area to work in as well.
Old 09/27/2007, 10:31 AM
Registered Member

I would build the room downstairs. 8x8 would be plenty big. It can also be your get away. You could then put a sink in there and what not. Click on my gallery to see what I did. I made a small bathroom and am putting all the sump stuff where the tub would go.
Old 09/27/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

IMO, if you think a refridgerator would work, there are many ways to insulate your sump using HD materials. Also insulate your plumbing... This as well as insulating the area where the sump is could work. Remember, you dont have to heat the area to be 72 degrees... the 60s would be fine, as you will also be using a heater (assumption). you could use... thick foam insulation sealed with spray foam... add a few reptile heating units underneath and you will be good to go. If you need to add other heat sources there is always directional heat lamps.
Old 09/27/2007, 05:13 PM
Uncomfortably Caffeinated

Hit my red house. I am dealing with similar issues and am using actuated ball valves on a temp controller for the returns and inline heater/chiller in a closed loop to the sump. My projected low is 0 and high 135 so it is extremes.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian." But an Indian can't kill anything with a crooked arrow.
Old 09/27/2007, 07:36 PM
Registered Member

using a freezer I would be concerned with the salt corroding the metal in it.

I also agree with building a small insulated room. I have helped a lot of locals build small fishrooms into their unfinished basements.
Old 09/28/2007, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

The freezer would have no metal, would be removed. Only metal would be the outside casing, its powdercoated and wouldn't contact water. Just a fiberglass shell. Once the shelves are removed, there are three holes that need to be pluged (1/4 - 5/16) and 4 screw holes. Honestly, I think thats the route I'm going to go with. Looks to be about 125-140 gallons. Already have it on hand, and I think its the best "plan" I've come up with to this point.
Old 09/28/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

Think the freezer idea is really good. My worry would be humidity in there. Might need to throw a fan on a humidistat and pull in some fresh air. If not you'll find black mold starting to grow in a month or two.
Old 09/28/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Andy has a point there. The cold air and the warm tank are going to be trouble. Is building a small room out of the question?
Old 09/29/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

My basement = 10 x 12 open to the crawl space. Crawl space covers rest of house and large vents (2' x 18") abound. House is 137 yrs old and about 4000 sq ft. Humidity will be no problem. Adding a powered vent would be no problem if need arises, but I don't think it will. I would think a small room would increase the humidity problem, but solve the temp problem. I will probably plumb my 75 gal refugium under the stand, and have it overflow into the basement sump. To keep as much water volume as possible climate controlled. Is my thinking correct less water volume = less heat loss?
Old 09/29/2007, 10:59 PM
Registered Member

I can say I am not qualified to answer that question. I bet Bean knows. Well if the room is insulated then water volume to heat loss shold not be a problem. Anyone elso want to give a more informed answer???