Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2007, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Clownfish with unknown infection

I noticed my clownfish has contracted something, which I'm concerned may be a bacterial infection. It's a white, fuzzy spot near his dorsal fin that looks like it's slightly swollen. Anyone have any ideas what it might be? Here's as good a pic as I could get:

Old 09/26/2007, 07:11 PM
Registered Member

i can't really tell, but it could be Brooklynella. If it is, you need to treat immediately

http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/ich...ooklynella.htm
Old 09/26/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Clown fish can get brooklynella. I'd say that or maybe even whitespot can be fuzzy like that.good luck.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

I'm going to guess that it's not brooklynella or ich, based upon the fact that I've had this guy for a year and a half and he's never shown signs of brook before. Plus he's been through hypo when I first got him, which probably would've taken care of that along with the ich he had when I first got him. And while it's not impossible, I have to think that it's not either. I know it's not ich. And it doesn't really look like brook, either, as it's a cottony puff on his side.

My guess is that it's probably a fungal infection of some sort. I suppose I should probably pull him out and give him some dips with an antifungal med. Oh the fun...
Old 09/27/2007, 04:31 AM
a Buffer fish

looks like cauliflour disease to me. Lymphcytis(sp?) Harmless.
Old 09/27/2007, 06:31 AM
Registered Member

Check out this page:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:...lnk&cd=1&gl=us
Old 09/27/2007, 07:15 AM
Registered Member

foster/smith sell 2 types of medicated food that might be a good way of treating him.
Old 09/27/2007, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

boxfishpooalot, I'm actually thinking you may be correct, which means this is probably a fungal infection that may clear up with improved water quality and better nutrition, according to WetWebMedia

I'll see if I can pinpoint the source of the issue. The temp is steady around 78°F-79°F and the nitrates were 0 as of last night. But I'll check dKH, calcium, pH, etc. to see what I can find out. And I'll also start adding some additional vitamins to his foods in the form of Kent Zoe and Zoecon, unless anyone else has other suggestions. I might consider a little garlic, too, just for good measure to improve his immune system.
Old 10/21/2007, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

I just thought I'd give everyone an update on this. It looks like the fungus has gone away on its own. The clownfish still has a spot or two that are healing over. But it looks like he's going to be just fine. Thanks again to anyone that helped!