Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/25/2007, 02:31 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Leasing/Real Estate/Contruction ?'s

I've had enough with my apartment. We have had stuff that has been needing to be fixed since May, and we've seen nothing. The people in the office won't do anything and are never there during business hours. Now I would like to contact the next higher up person, but I'm confused on who does what. So, who should I contact???

Apartment Complex:
http://www.erc.com/chapelridge/still.../lifestyle.xml

Real Estate Developement Firm:
http://www.erc.com/about/

Real Estate Management Service:
http://www.capstonemanagement.com/

Or should I start looking in to legal advice? The bad part is we like it here, but the people running the place are a bunch of dim witted, lazy son of a guns!
Old 09/25/2007, 02:44 PM
Movin On Up

First "in writing" contact the apartment complex. Then if nothing contact the Management Service "in writing". Keep records, and send all corispondance registered. Then go through lawyers. The developement co is only for construction and should only be contacted by the management co. What are your problems?

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 09/25/2007, 02:47 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I've done the first one. So, I should be going through Capstone next?

My problems are the simple fact that nothing is getting done. I've got leaky window seals that water gushes in when it rains, a broken seal around the baseboard on the outside where water leaks in to the carpet. It's ruined our rug we had, and it will ruin their carpet. I've got a loose toilet that hasn't been fixed, a loose sink, and bad smoke detectors. It's a load of crap.
Old 09/25/2007, 02:47 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

I would go to the Real Estate Management Service. Their company appears to be the one managing your complex.

Too old for women to care
Old 09/25/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Look at your lease. Some leases allow you to have things repaired and bill the complex when management is unresponsive. The next level up from the on-site management is the mangement company that is hired to take care of the property. They may or may not be useful. Find out what company owns the complex - and has hired the management company. They will be the next people to talk to. Do it in the form of a well-written formal letter. Always state facts, leave ALL opinions and comments out of the letter. If the owners don't care then there's a pretty good chance they are the ones telling the management company not to do anything. Next place would be the local housing agency. You can file official complaints against the complex, management agency, and owners.
Old 09/25/2007, 03:06 PM
Movin On Up

Mention the "mold" word!!!!

It will get someone's attention.

Old 09/25/2007, 04:00 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

FIRST and FOREMOST:

Make a detailed, item by item list of what needs to be fixed along with photographs fo the items. (A digital photo printed out on a color printer is all you need.)

Next try to take that list to the complex manager in person at several times during over the next couple of days and make note of what times you went as well as his/ her absence.

After that, compose a letter and include it in an envelope with your rent check (which I presume is coming due very shortly. The letter should denote the deficeincies, show the evidence of them, and make note of the EXACT times/ dates you have made effort to discuss them with management. It should close with a formal request that they call you to provide a schedule for when each of the items will be fixed.

Immediately after you get that call, write a second letter verifying your understanding of the phone call and denoting the schedule they gave you.

If you get not response to the letter with the payment, go up the chain to the real estate management service with a certified letter to them. Detail the lengths you have gone to in hopes of rectifying the situation without their involvement and how they have been non-responsive. Cite the fact that the rent check has been cashed as evidence that they have recieved the notification of the maintenance issues. Say that you regret being forced to take this step and like your current residence, but find such a breach of contract to be unacceptable. CC the apartment management on the letter and send them a copy via certified mail as well.

If that doesn't work, then take similar steps going up to the property owners.
Old 09/25/2007, 04:02 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by Misled
Mention the "mold" word!!!!

It will get someone's attention.

Not really. A little bleach, a coat of Kiltz, and a slap of paint on the spot of the mold is all they'll do unless you can show pictures of pervasive mold infestation.
Old 09/25/2007, 04:05 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Quote:
Originally posted by brward5
Look at your lease. Some leases allow you to have things repaired and bill the complex when management is unresponsive.
That's a very risky game to play. You could easily find yourself out the repair money, owing late fees for partial payment of rent, and in court trying to prove otherwise.

If you want to go this route, get written pre-authorization to make the repairs with an exact amount of how much cost they are willing to accept. You will then need to include copies of reciepts with rent payments that are made a partial payments.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:14 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Mutt Comment #1) Some of those steps have already been taken. I'll repeat the steps to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Mutt Comment #2) That isn't going to help since I have already documented the water and mold damage

Mutt Comment #3) I agree with Mutt here. As much as I would like to stick it to them like that, I've noted that I like my home. It's already going to make them mad that I'm going to have to move to a more authorative person, I don't want to stress the issue much further than that.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:16 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Or you could move....

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:17 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by beerguy
Or you could move....
Let's just say I'm not made of money and that we're in one of the best places that Stillwater has to offer for my budget. I'm not willing to move without a fight.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:18 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis L. Stevens
Let's just say I'm not made of money and that we're in one of the best places that Stillwater has to offer.

Quote:

My problems are the simple fact that nothing is getting done. I've got leaky window seals that water gushes in when it rains, a broken seal around the baseboard on the outside where water leaks in to the carpet. It's ruined our rug we had, and it will ruin their carpet. I've got a loose toilet that hasn't been fixed, a loose sink, and bad smoke detectors. It's a load of crap.

OH RLY

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:32 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
Not really. A little bleach, a coat of Kiltz, and a slap of paint on the spot of the mold is all they'll do unless you can show pictures of pervasive mold infestation.

I tend to disagree with this. Maybe different in other parts of the country, and with different management companies, but notice what I do for a living. With that word being "dropped ", in my company, someone will be there very quickly. Whether it be true or not it will at the very least get someone to your apartment.

Old 09/25/2007, 05:35 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Hey Misled, you would think when I showed them these the first time they would have had someone come out ASAP

Old 09/25/2007, 06:14 PM
Movin On Up

If they saw that video, and did nothing, they are not a very good company. Since you said they saw that, if you have documentation of that, get in touch with the management company. You can also get in touch with the city code enforcement office. I'm not understanding why you could like it there so much. When my office gets a call, someone at the very least will be there within 24 hours, even if it's a blown lite bulb.

Old 09/25/2007, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I've done the first one. So, I should be going through Capstone next?

I haven't read through all of the posts here yet, but make sure you take pictures of all of this stuff and lots of them for your proof (that show dates if possible), so that they don't try to nail you when you move for damages.

Travis, if I am not mistaken (and I very well could be) in the state of Oklahoma (and I would think all others) I believe you have to have working smoke detectors in rental units.
Old 09/25/2007, 06:56 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by Misled
If they saw that video, and did nothing, they are not a very good company. Since you said they saw that, if you have documentation of that, get in touch with the management company. You can also get in touch with the city code enforcement office. I'm not understanding why you could like it there so much. When my office gets a call, someone at the very least will be there within 24 hours, even if it's a blown lite bulb.
I wished mine would do the same. We'll be lucky if we get the guy out in a week, then he would say that he has to order a part. (lightbulbs that is)

The bad part is, I don't have documentation that I have shown them. So, I'll show them again!

Quote:
Originally posted by vonodie1
I haven't read through all of the posts here yet, but make sure you take pictures of all of this stuff and lots of them for your proof (that show dates if possible), so that they don't try to nail you when you move for damages.

Travis, if I am not mistaken (and I very well could be) in the state of Oklahoma (and I would think all others) I believe you have to have working smoke detectors in rental units.
We're definitely taking pictures of this. It's stupid not to. In fact, our kids accidently broke the blinds in our old apartment, and they still haven't fixed those AND someone is living in those apartments already.

As far as the Smoke Detectors go, we don't know what is wrong. They'll put new batteries in, and two weeks later they are all going off with low battery signals.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

Travis

I just came across this site and it may help you out some.

http://www.okbar.org/public/brochures/tenbroc.htm

this page may also be of some use...

http://www.ok.gov/OREC/documents/Lan...t%20Update.pdf

Last edited by vonodie1; 09/25/2007 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:15 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Nice. I'll definitely have to read that (am now)
Old 09/25/2007, 07:37 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Read it. According to the article, it basically says as long as both parties are in good standing and safety/health is at risk, the landlord must make the repairs within 14 days of written request.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Travis, the second one I edited in is the actual state tenant act that was updated in Nov. 2006, and would probably be beneficial in saving on your computer for future references.

And yes, 14 days after written notice- if I read correctly earlier you have already done that a while before...

They (the landlord) do realize that you are no college student and are a family man?

That complex (and it has been a long while since I have been in Stillwater- GO POKES!) looks like one of the nicer ones in town; I sure do hate to see you end up with a slumlord.

I think I would take it up with the property management company, since you say the people are never in the office.

Good luck in getting those needed repairs done!
Old 09/25/2007, 10:20 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

Do you have any neighbors with similar problems? Going up the chain in mass is likely to be more effective with one at a time.
Old 09/25/2007, 10:20 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by Muttling
Do you have any neighbors with similar problems? Going up the chain in mass is likely to be more effective with one at a time.
I don't know, but I'm thinking about rallying the troops
Old 09/25/2007, 10:38 PM
Its a Travashamockery

Good luck

"Power. Abuse it or lose it.." BrianD