Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 09:11 AM
Geek

Where popular LPS corals are found

I was poking around in archives here http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/3/aafeature and found this great article on where LPS are found and collected in the wild.

I was thinking this might give us a clue on how to position and under what lights we can put LPS corals to really thrive.

Some of the pictures of corals sitting in collection vats were really compelling. I was taken aback by all of the elegance corals.

There are also some interesting statistics on what is collected and why. Enjoy
Old 09/24/2007, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

Part of the reason why elegance never make it, they all sit in the same vat, no matter where collected from, and they all get the same sickness.
Old 09/24/2007, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

Chrisstie thank you for posting that link, it was very informative and i really got alot out of reading it, So you work at Sea in the City? how is Marcy?
Old 09/25/2007, 09:48 AM
Geek

I'm glad you enjoyed the article Ah yes I am humanremainz, though I try not to advertise it since RC is careful about us saying where we work etc.

Marcye is doing great. She's one of the most wonderful people I've ever met and she's a great boss to work for too. I've learned so much about corals and fish and how to treat them properly I feel more like an apprentice than employee.

It's given me the chance to consider persuing something in the hobby for a career once I finish my computer engineering degree.

And thecichlidpleco I wonder if that isn't also a big possibility. Of course the article shows just one collection facility but if it only takes one small single celled creature to be behind any of the elegance then sitting around like that is a sure fire way to hurt the hobby

I wish there could be some way of implementing a better quarantine.

I actually found the article while searching for more information on Gall crabs. I found them to be a particular intriguing parasite for burrowing into LPS and even some sps flesh where the coral grows around the female while she disturbs and possibly feeds on the coral from the inside out.
Old 09/26/2007, 09:51 AM
Registered Member

your lucky chrisstie, i have found that this industry has the ability to knock the hobbyist right out of you,and i have had that happen before, but i guess I'm lucky myself as i have a 3 really cool boss's , that have really opened my eyes , and see that what we do makes a differnce(even though the airlines do everything they can do to treat LIVE ANIMALS as general cargo).
Old 09/26/2007, 03:21 PM
Geek

Ugh I hate that fish and corals get the cold shoulder. If they were more like kitties and puppies i think people would sadly care more =\