Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Nitrates problem

I'm new to the marine environment, and I'm having multiple problems. LOL. I've gotten my ammonia and nitrites down, with time, but my nitrates are still high, and I'm trying to find a solution. I've been doing 20% water changes weekly for the past two weeks, and I still am having no luck keeping them down.

I've got:
30 gal glass aquarium
Maxi Jet 1200 protein skimmer
removed my filter/wave maker in favor of a basic sump with filtration
approx 15-20 lbs live rock
approx 1 1/2" live sand with 1"coral shell mixed/above sand

I've had the aquarium up and running for about 6 months. My levels where good for the first couple of months (after cycling), and then started going downhill, at which point I switched to the sump. Things started getting a bit better, but in an unexpected birthday gift (snowflake eel from parents), everything has changed. Lost most of my fish due to the eel, but I actually like him now, so I'm trying to find a system that works with him, also.

My aquarium appears slightly cloudy (grey-white) and I'm having micro bubbles from my skimmer, but I'm mostly concerned with the nitrates...any idea, or help?? I'm just lost here. I was trying to find the best solution for the long term, but there are so many different opinions...

So, should I go with the ozonator, the algal scrubber, the denitrification coil?? I had thought that setting up the sump would help with my nitrates, but although it's helped my ammonia and nitrites, my nitrates are still way out of spec. HELP!! Please!! And thanks in advance!!

Dyra
Old 09/24/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

How big is the eel is the 30 gallon? maybe it could be too much a load on that amount of water? just floating some ideas.

Have you added any new live rock lately?
Old 09/24/2007, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

throw some chaeto in the sump....I have heard that works because it uses up phosphates and nitrates as it grows......
Old 09/24/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

For the size of the aquarium, it is a fairly large eel, probably around 16-18", and when we first got him, he really reaked havoc on the sand bed, and rock, moving it around as it pleased him. Which released all kinds of stuff into the water, but then it settled back down. I just don't want to get rid of him.

We've also got:
4 seargent major's between 3/4" and 2"
4 hermit crabs,
asst snails, and
2 brittle starfish

Not really a large load, I think.

And what's chaeto?? Haven't heard of it before.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:33 PM
RC Mod

[welcome]

The tank is rather heavily loaded. Personally, I'd remove the eel or get a larger tank. Growing and harvesting a macroalga like Chaetomorpha might help, but the fish needs a bigger home, in my opinion.
Old 09/24/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Your eel will probobally out grow your tank soon. Heavy bio load = high nitrates. If you are going to keep your tank the way it is i suggest 10 to 20 percenct water change 2 times weekly until you get your nitrates down. I think with a small tank and that many fish in there you have a lot of work in front of you to keep your nitrates at acceptable levels. Larger tank, less work to keep your water parameters good.
Old 09/24/2007, 09:12 PM
Moved On

That eel alone is way too much bioload if you are trying to keep nitrates down.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Too much bioload for that size tank. Try adding a deep sand bed in your refugium, at least 4-5 inches. Add as much chaeto as you can. Nitrates don't bother fish that much. Clean detritus from filters and sand bed. You really need to upgrade to a bigger tank. Add more live rock.
Old 09/25/2007, 07:40 AM
Registered Member

Hi Alledyra , I have a 30 gal. with a snowflake 2 blue tails 1 bi-coler dottyback 2 clowns with thar animmony. I feed the eel 2 times a week, with the animmony.I have a 20 wisper power filtter from my fw days . run good carbon, water change 2 weeks 5 gal. 2" sand bed, good live rock. I have a lot of sofftys in the tank.I have 4 kinds of macroalge in thar,it grows like nuts! my yellow tales put eggs on the back wall 1 time a month.
Old 09/25/2007, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

I'd add about 20-30 lbs of base rock.