Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/01/2007, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Feeding large angels

Is flake food - Ocean's nutrition - a good food for angels. What does everyone feed?

Angels are french, blue face, emperor, juvy queen and goldflake
Old 09/01/2007, 03:57 PM
Registered Member

I try and feed a variey. I feed pellets- New life Spectrum, formula one,formula 2. I also feed the frozen Emerald Entree. I tried the frozen Angel formula stuff but he won't touch it. Also feed some nori, he will only eat it if it is in small pieces.
Old 09/01/2007, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

ok - thanks. Just got the french - about 7" and was told he was only eating mysis. I feed mysis but there's a few other fish that enjoy it as well. I don't feed mysis all that often, so wanted to get the french over to flake and pellets.
Old 09/01/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I hope they're not all in the same tank. You can't have more than one angels in you tank unless you have a mega large 250 gallon+ tank, they fight to the death.

Anyway, I feed my emperor angel live caulerpa, new life spectrum, krill, silversides, and mysis.
Old 09/01/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

they're in a 240
Old 09/01/2007, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

I feed my emperor mysis, cockles on the half shell, and special angel fish formula along with flake. On occasion she'll get krill and daphnia.
Old 09/03/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

Registered Member
I hope they're not all in the same tank. You can't have more than one angels in you tank unless you have a mega large 250 gallon+ tank, they fight to the death.

Who told you this? Whoever it was, they are wrong.

I have a Queen, Emperor, Blue Ring, Majestic, Regal and Coral Beauty Angels in my tank.

No issues! An dall very healthy!
Old 09/03/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

i had a mejestic, queen, emperor and blue ring in the same tank (210) no problems at all
Old 09/03/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the last 2 posts. I've had numerous angels in this tak for years with no issues, other than the week or so of course when you introduce a new angel to the tank - but that's no different than introducing a new tang to an established tank.

I'm sure the 240 is plenty.
Old 09/03/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

still struggling in getting the new french to eat. He did go for some flake on Saturday but nothing since. No mysis, pellets, krill. Just tonight I started breaking up some sea veggies and he's going after that. Ok on the short term, but don't think that will meet his diet needs so hoping he'll get a better appetite soon!
Old 09/03/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, a 240 will do. My post was more directed at those with a 75 gallon tank holding a 10 inch emperor, queen and blueface.
Old 09/03/2007, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

my emp (4" juve) angel eats ocean nutrition frozen angel formula, formula 1, and if hes REALLY hungry, formula 2. He also eats nori like a madman, and has also started to take mysis (juves are more veggie/sponge eaters, when they get older they like meatier stuff). Everything but the nori gets a soaking of selcon and kent garlic extreme. Great diet, has cured the HLLE that the angel got in QT and he eats likea horse
Old 09/04/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

so far, just nori!
Old 09/04/2007, 09:53 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Flake alone wont hold an angel, there simply isn't enough bulk. All of the folks who recommended a widely varied diet of meaty seafoods, nori, spirulina (flake is great here), and spectrum or some other high quality pellet are right on and this diet will maintain a large angel for life.

Here's what I feed my angels; PE Mysis, formula 1 & 2 frozen, angel formula, fortified brine, prime reef, new life spectrum pellet 1 and 3mm size, nori, and other frozen meaty seafoods such as squid, scallop, clam, ect. I probably feed the NLS pellets at a 2:1 ratio compared to everything else and their color, growth, and health is pretty amazing with this diet.
Old 09/05/2007, 03:05 AM
Premium Member

My imperator gets frozen mysis, fomula 2, angel formula, little bits of squid, muscle, shrimp, from a frozen seafood combo I buy at the supermarket for like $4 a pound then throw in the blender, occaisional feedings of live grass shrimps, and crabs I catch and chop up, romaine lettuce, nori, and fresh live ogo but what it likes more than anything is plain old formula 1 flakes (which I really don't like to feed much as I feel the fillers foul the water).

My bicolor gets the same, but also dwarf angel formula which it prefers to everything else.
Old 09/20/2007, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

Update - the only thing I can get the French angel to eat so far is Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies and Green 40 Veggie Food.

No luck with Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef, Ocean Nutrition Formula 1, Hikari Tropical pellets, Spectrum Thera pellets or mysis.

This can't be good.......
Old 09/21/2007, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

Angels love live clams on the half shell, you should be able to get them at your grocery store.

Every large angel I have owned loved them!

Dave
Old 09/24/2007, 12:13 AM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

If your fish is eating at all its a good sign. It wont be long before he will start to sample other things and will soon be eating most anything.
Old 09/29/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

some bad news......lost the french angel on Thursday. Looked plump but not sure he was getting the noursihment it needed.