Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Cleveland Saltwater Enthusiast's Association (C-SEA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 04:03 PM
Registered Member

My dream tank finally planned out

Well its time to get the dream tank going, its mostly planned out just waiting for some things to come together and then its time to start ordering and setting everything up so here are the plans

Total and complete mixed reef (LPS, SPS, Clams)

TANK

-Custom made Acrylic 240G cube (48x48x24) that has a 24x5x23 overflow with a 1.5" drain
-Sides and front a 1" Acrylic, the back is 3/4" acrylic, the bottom is 1/2" and the Eurobrace is 1"
-Custom made stand - made out of square tubing and welded then painted with marine epoxy with dimensions of 48x48x36 (still trying to decide on oak, cherry,exotic wood, or wrapped in metal)
-Hood will be bare polished metal and im goign to jazz up the lumenarc pendants
-Returns from the Panworld 100PX-X will be plumbed through an OM 4 way with the plumbing entering the tank in the corners and all of the facing towards the middle of the tank all on penductors

EQUIPMENT

-100G rubbermaid stock bin for a sump
-PanWorld 100PX-X pump for return, will be plumbed into the tank using penductors
-Zeovit reactor
-GEO 618 Calcium reactor
-Reeflo Snapper skimmer (not yet available but im looking forward to it)
-custom in sump fuge
-custom filter media rack
-Vortech x2 with battery backup and wireless controller
-Lighting will be 4 x 250W Helios 20K MH lamps in Lumenarc III Mini Pendant powered by Sunlight Supply electronic Ballasts
-Profilux reef controller with all the bells and whistles (controlling the calcium reactor, temp, lighting, wireless internet, email alerts, email updates)

PLANS

-Two islands - SPS island and LPS island with clams scattered in the open space
-SPS island will be large and be made out of shelf and big chunks to create caves, overhangs and tunnels
-LPS island will be smaller and will be limited to rare LPS (acan lords, micros, chalice, and brains at the base)
-Clams will be mostly crocea and maxima in the 3-4" range (about 5 of them total)
-Purple or Blue carpet anemone
-Will have a fine 1" layer of sand in the tank (the vortechs or penductors should not affect this)
-as for fish here is what i have so far that i think will really look amazing in the tank
-Achilles Tang (small about 3-4")
-Purple Tang (smaller at about 2-3")
-Clown Tang (baby about 2" now)
-Pair of wrasses (looking at rare fairy wrasses, most likely 2 pairs)
-Pair of angels (either watanabei or zebra)
-Group of Flavicauda anthias (I'm thinking 5 strong in this one)
-Pair of Crosshatch triggers
-To finish it off a Christmas Island Imperator Juvie

Here are some SketchUp Models of the tank

I have a set price from Envision Acrylics, anyone who wants a custom acrylic tank should not look at any other company besides Envision!

Total with shipping = $2,350

i will be getting pictures soon, the building of the tank starts the first week of October and it will be done by/on the 19th of Octoberit might seem like a long time but pretty much thats around the corner and gives me time to get the equipment together and ready to get this tank up and running
Old 09/14/2007, 04:32 PM
OSU Who?Catch Me If U Can

You are a month to late. Cward in Columbus just sold his 240 acrylic cube for $800. Still a sweet setup either way. I love cubes.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:38 PM

Might want to look into using the OM with penductors. Last I knew they advised against it.

Sounds nice
Old 09/14/2007, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Sounds like that going to be an awesome set up. I can't wait to see it. I hope you post pics when you get it together.
Old 09/14/2007, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

well then I will have to look into just breaking it into 4 returns with a bigger pump then i will count on the vortechs for mixing up the flow maybe i will just do more research on it befor i plan something like that out
Old 09/14/2007, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

From what I've read, the penductors are only a problem when you don't have them on all of the outlets. This is because the back pressure from one can cause the flow to bypass to an outlet that does not have a penductor.

Mattyice, I thought you were going with a starphire glass tank from AO. What happened with that?
Old 09/14/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Did your expensive trigger die?
Old 09/14/2007, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Yes, my goldenback actually jumped the tank, i had him setup in a QT tank because his stomach was still pinched and he was still eating great, i just suspected a parasite, so i put him in a 30 breeder and covered it with egg crate and just an empty canister filter to give it some weight and when i came home from work the next day he was on the floor and the egg crate was knocked off the top

I was really really looking into the AO tanks but they wanted $2538 for their 180G size aquarium, with all sides starphire, and drilled to be peninsula style (thats another $600 over the standard 180 that is already mostly starphire) plus they wanted about $600 for shipping on to of that, James over at Envision Acrylics was also one of the first people to get back in touch with me on a quote, and didnt mind answering any and all questions that i had, he set me up with an aqaurium that i knew would be perfect for the effect i wanted to get and with it being mostly 1" acrylic i doubt i will have any bowing in any panel

Well all of the outlets will have penductors so maybe i could still use them, i would definitely like to use them because of the extra flow they draw from around them
Old 09/14/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the loss of that rare and gorgeous fish
Old 09/16/2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

so what do you guys think i should do for the stand? i do have access to brushed aluminum in 4'x8' pieces so i could wrap it in aluminum and have black wood accents? or should i go with an exotic looking wood with interesting grain marks like leopard wood? curly adler? curly maple? any input guys?
Old 09/16/2007, 06:17 PM
Fish Tank Pimp

Quote:
Originally posted by Bcollins111900
You are a month to late. Cward in Columbus just sold his 240 acrylic cube for $800. Still a sweet setup either way. I love cubes.
do you know why he sold it??
Old 09/17/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Did you ever check with Ostrom Manufacturing in Mt. Gilead, Ohio???? They do some of the best most cost effective custom acrylic work around... I know a couple on this board who have used them and they are great. (I bought a custom 120 setup from them a couple years ago)

Ostrom Manufacturing LLC
325 Lee St
Mount Gilead, OH , 43338-1158
Phone: 419-946-6887
FAX: 419-946-6847

Craig

"Will be giving Free Legal Advice Tomorrow..."
Old 09/17/2007, 01:51 PM
Registered Member

i never checked them out because everyone across the country said that James does the best acrylic work they have ever seen
Old 09/17/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Is he the guy on RC that goes by "Acrylics"? He has an on-going thread in the DIY forum that helps people with questions about putting together tanks. I know that guy lives in Columbia Station. He really knows his stuff.
Old 09/17/2007, 02:05 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
have you seen these threads?

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=565476

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=659572

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 09/17/2007, 02:14 PM
Registered Member

no James is the owner of Envision Acrylics out in Oregon, everyone that i have talked to that has tecenor tanks said they wasted their money and should of went with Envision...so i did lol

I'm also working on some other side things so keep your eyes out in the Akron/Canton area for a LFS lol (good one)
Old 09/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Premium Member

Chris actually still has his tank to sell.

and yes, Acrylics is James screen name on RC.
Old 09/17/2007, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Huh, I wonder why I thought he lived in Columbia Station...

Mattyice, are you saying we're getting a new LFS in akron/canton? Which is it closer to akron or canton? I don't know why akron and canton are lumped together. They are a good 20-25 minutes apart...
Old 09/17/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

i cant say much right now but rumors are in green