Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/16/2007, 05:50 PM
Genuine reef addict

Hi Bookpile......

I'd call RSM on the timer cover issue. You may want to register the RSM online first (I still haven't), and keep anything that might be called a receipt in case you need to fax it to get free replacement parts. Maybe that flap is malformed & they can mail you a new one. Mention the cover not staying on the pump too & ask if they can replace it. I've had the problem of them falling off when removing or replacing them if I work in that compartment. That snap on fit doesn't hold very securely.

On the cabinet - I had the same issue, but finally figured it out - there are a couple adjustments on the hinges - I think it was the one on the cabinet side that lets the bracket slide inward or outward, but I can't remember much other than I finally got it adjusted right a few days after setup.

That's the second issue in this thread recently with the Koralia pumps. It makes me wonder if the great demand for them has them speeding up production at the expense of quality and reliability.

I doubt the skimmer will do much till 1) it goes through a breaking period to remove any oils, etc. from production, and 2) till you get more bio-load. Hopefully your will work as well as some RSM owners. Mine never did much so I replaced it. Give it time - it might take several days to break in.

Cutting that sponge back will also increase flow & water levels in back. I was down to one inch of black sponge and cleaning the filter pad every 2 days or so to cut microbubbles and keep the flow high in the back.

No idea on the sea cucumber - no experience with them or their needs. I did get a laugh out of the bunny in the tank though!

Your cycle may be near complete if the rock was that well cured. I never had a cycle that I could measure with my cured rock. If you're really concerned get a couple other test kits for ammonia & nitrite to confirm it. I used the API tests in FW, but only used the API ammonia one in SW, as a backup, and it confirmed my 0 ammonia reading that I got with the Red Sea & Seachem tests I also had.

The rock & aquascaping looks nice. Is that top rock stable? Looks like a lot of holes for fish to swim though, and room left for corals that come on a hunk of rock. My mistake was to add too much rock, not knowing that getting corals would bring in more rock.

Question for those with clams - if you add anything extra (phytoplankton) for the clams, how often do you add it? And what type do you add? I bought some high priced DT's live phyto yesterday and added 2 teaspoons earlier & shut of the RSM powerheads & my skimmer for an hour. I don't think you can tell if a clam gets any out of the water - I didn't see it smiling or burping
Old 09/16/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Subject: glalderman's question about the Nanocustoms retrofit.

Hello glalderman, good evening.

I do not know if anyone has answered your question already; I just read your posting a minute ago, and stopped to answer your question; I have not read past your posting.

Nanocustoms modified my hood. When I received it, I called them and asked the same question you are asking.

The stock timer is no longer usable; all wires connected to the timer are removed by Nanocustoms. They do not remove the stock timer to avoid leaving an empty hole in that section of the hood.

I did not order the Moon Lights.

I now have three (3) power cables to connect to timers:

1. The original power cord of the RSM hood, which now supplies power to the new WORKHORSE 22 electronic ballast powering the two 18w Actinic PC bulbs installed by Nanocustoms.

2. The power cord that supplies power to the new SUNPARK electronic ballast powering the Metal Halide bulb installed by nanocustoms.

3. The short DC jack/cable that connects to the Power Supply provided by Nanocustoms, which in turn supplies power to the 4 fans inside the hood assembly.

The DC jack/cable, and the SUNPARK ballast cable come out of the hood through two holes next to the stock timer. In order to preserve the original look as much as possible, I cut-off a square section of the timer cover, which allows the timer cover to be used, and closed.

Best regards,

José
Old 09/16/2007, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

Really nice aquascaping Bookpile. W/ the live rock and sand I'm sure your "cycled".
Old 09/16/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

src="http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/dyoung4/Davestank083.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

src="http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc56/dyoung4/Davestank082.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">

I posted these on aother thread when I intended to post them here, but heres my RSM
Old 09/16/2007, 08:24 PM
Genuine reef addict

Nice corals and nice pics mbdave!
Old 09/16/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Just bought my first fish today!!! A nice tiny red scooter blenny...I acclimated him for over an hour where he barely budged...After placing him in the tank he seems to be either super hyper or freaked out because he keeps swimming/bumping into the glass...He doesnt want to swim towards other parts of the tank just the outer walls. I have been observing him for over a week at the LFS and he seemed pretty tame...acted normal as far as blennys go. Hope he adjusts =/

Last edited by Titans; 09/16/2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09/16/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks

Old 09/16/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

OK last one wish I was a better photographer.
This tank is now around 3 months young. I have the stock red sea lights just removed the cover, 2 nano streams, probably 30# rock, bunc of snails and hermits, the coral you see, and unfortunately a bit of bryopsis popping up.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:52 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Nice pics!

I esp. like the 'sea hare' Heehee!

Well, for what it's worth...I cleaned my sponge out, but it wasn't very dirty...upped my water levels to higher than usual and checked my power heads...no more microbubbles...but I still don't know what it was...maybe a combo. of things?

I figure my little Fromia is going to be hanging out with the 2nd clown goby and the pistol shrimp...neither of which I've seen since I put them in the tank...
Old 09/16/2007, 11:09 PM
Excuse My French...

RSM looks great!

If you still need to convince your wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, SO,... that the RSM will look good in your living room, here is a real-life sample:

Hope that helps...
Old 09/17/2007, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

nice looking tank mbdave
great shots of the corals mate
Old 09/17/2007, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hodge
Anyone have trouble with a korilia getting noisy. Mine's a week old and started making loud grumbling noises, took it apart, couldn't see anything wrong. It was quiet for a while, now noisy again. There's only an impeller on a shaft, so don't know what would get noisy??
Do you have one with a ceramic shaft or a stainless shaft. The earlier units were ceramic. Now the new ones are stainless because of reliability of the ceramic shaft. Check and see if is broken. If it is, call them and they will send you a replacement. They have great customer service.
Old 09/17/2007, 07:29 AM
Genuine reef addict

Titans - how's the red scooter blenny doing? Hopefully it calmed down?

Rue - you had me going on the "sea hare". I kept looking through the pics over & over, and finally realized you were talking about the rabbit in the empty tank - a big duh on me! Let us know when the Fromia reappears. Do you ever hear the pistol clicking?
Old 09/17/2007, 09:04 AM
Professional Obfuscator

LOL...sorry! I didn't mean to 'make you look'!

Nice pics guys!

Laurent, your place looks like pic from House Beautiful...MUCH nicer than my basement rec-room...
Old 09/17/2007, 09:18 AM
Genuine reef addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rue
Laurent, your place looks like pic from House Beautiful...MUCH nicer than my basement rec-room...
Yes - you need more clutter around your place Laurent. It doesn't look like anyone lives there other than corals and fish! If you don't have any clutter available let me know & I'll glady ship you some of mine.
Old 09/17/2007, 11:59 AM
Just another crazy

Well now its my turn I just ordered the rock and I am hoping to get it the end of the week. Play time

Mike
Old 09/17/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys.
Sorry to be asking again and again about this matter, but after all of the recent bickering, who is CURRENTLY using the tunze nano skimmer in the RSM?
Old 09/17/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

i am mate and it is working i get about 50ml/100ml of brown gunk every day, much more than the RSM was giving me
cheers
josh&jana
Old 09/17/2007, 04:38 PM
Professional Obfuscator

Glad your Tunze skimmer is doing what it's supposed to...

...wish I knew how much skimmate I was supposed to get...but I do get a regular amount that I clean out every other day and my water parametres appear to be fine *knockonwood*...so I ain't worrying yet...

My Fromia has reappeared! Woohoo! In perfect view for me too! LOL...how much better can it get? My clam has stayed put too, no jumping! It's so cute!
Old 09/17/2007, 08:23 PM
Excuse My French...

Rue, ReefMack: I had visitors during the weekend and I had to cleanup the place a bit... I made such an effort that I thought it deserved a picture...
Old 09/17/2007, 08:37 PM
Genuine reef addict

Mako56 - that's good on the rock for your "free" RSM. I can't even remember - what are your plans for the RSM? A small show tank or ? You'll have to post a pic in here some day of that 180 gallon you have.

Josh - the Tunze 9002 sounds like it's doing a good job. My serpent star pushed my 9002 airscrew within sight but still tought to get at it. The replacements I ordered came last week, but I'm not sure if I want to try the Tunze again or not. I'm pretty pleased with the Remora. I'll have to think on it.

Rue - if your skimmer is working that's great. I'm not sure why it works well for some and not others. Good on the star too, and the clam staying put. My big Linkia I can always find, but the little Fromia can be tough to locate at times.

My Tunze ATO went nuts today. I had a frantic call from my wife this morning and I could hear the overflow alarm screeching in the background. I had her unplug the unit. This time the water was not up to the bottom of the black rim - it was right to the upper edge of the rim - pretty scary! After a few weeks of performing flawlessly it messed up again, and I'm not even sure that the backup float sensor was working correctly (unless it got repositioned somehow). Back to manual top-off till I'm home on the weekend to watch it. Right now I'd be a bit leery to go away a few days and trust it.

Laurent - ahah! So you may not be 100% clutter free after all!
Old 09/17/2007, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the compliments on the aquascaping, the more I look at it, the more I like it. Pacific East sent some neat pieces with a whole bunch of holes in it. Oh and the rock is surprisingly stable.

I called RSM today. Pinky tried to tell me that the wires on the timer weren't installed right and it was sticking up too far. I had to explain a few times that I just thought the cover was warped or something so she agreed to send that out along with the inlet for the pump. Can't ask for much more then that.

The best news today is that the water in the skimmer is finally starting to come up the column, although it hasn't skimmed anything yet I think it's a good sign. This happened after I cut the black sponge in half.

I spent most of the night trying to catch my yellow tail blue damsel. I finally got him but now I can't find my Diadem Pseudochromis, I hope he didn't get crushed in the mayhem. The advice I have gotten is to sell the sea cucumber.

Mbdave, you have a nice tank and it's good to know that those kind of corals can be grown with the stock light.

I'll admit, even I was thinking that I didn't see a picture of sea hare at first. Good one!
Old 09/17/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Oi,
I just finished putting the final touches on my tank. Everything went pretty good I think. the water seems to be clearing up every time I look over, and that pleases me.

I will post pictures as soon as I figure out some things.
Old 09/17/2007, 10:14 PM
Just another crazy

Thanks Reefmack I don't really want to do any kind of light upgrade so I am thinkin just zoo's and softies but we all know to well how this thing grabs you and don't let go.

Here are some shots of my 180.

Right side

Middle

Left side

Mike
Old 09/17/2007, 11:49 PM
Premium Member

Update RSMreefers:

*We welcome
PRIMOPAUL from Nashville. He just started setting up his RSM. Pages are online

More owners are coming up soon.

LasseF from Sweden is going to write several articles for the RSMreefers. I talked to him how he would like to publish them. He would like to publish them in a way similar to a blog so everybody can participate in a discussion about the articles. Right now I am trying to accomplish and integrate this into the site for him. Hope to have it ready soon. Looking forward to this for sure.

Few numbers:
Unique visitors so far: 5086
Pages viewed: 72982

Michael
MAXreefer