Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Colorado Rocky Mountain Reef Club
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/13/2007, 04:00 PM
Geek

Visiting Denver, from Orlando

Hey all I'm headed to Denver the first week of November to visit my syster. She's in the superior area, but other than that I'm not very good with my Colorado geography!

I've never travelled there before and was wondering if a) You had any advice on not to miss tourist stuff and b) what would you say are the top three LFS to visit?

Any posts or PMs or emails will be greatly appreciated, I can't wait to see your beautiful state!
Old 09/13/2007, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Sure we can't compete with florida but my choices would be:
Premier Fish and Reef
Keys Island
Neptunes (but they are $$$)
2 * Korlia 4
Aquamedic Calcium Reactor 1000
Red Sea 50mg Ozonizer
Old 09/13/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Go to the flat irons mall, there are alot of hot girls at the food court, there is a ton of stuff to do in colorado.

as for reef places ive only been to a few
shermans
premier (corals are great prices, fish are rips)
Old 09/13/2007, 09:10 PM
Geek

Hah seeing as though I'm a woman and married I'm not too sure if the girls interest me but the reef places do! Thanks for the tips!

We're hopefully going to check out some of the parks and gardens out there and maybe the zoo. I hear the town aquarium isn't that great?
Old 09/13/2007, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Go to the Royal Gorge...it's about 1.5 hours south...you can get a helicopter tour for just $40 per person...it's awesome.
Old 09/13/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

dont forget the aquarium. duh
Old 09/13/2007, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

In my opinion, the Downtown Aquarium isn't as good as it used to be. Being that you've never been there before, you would likely enjoy it quite a bit.

I would second the Key's Island, and Premier Fish & Reef as must see LFS's. If you can, I would also suggest going to Greeley and seeing Animal Attractions and Don's Hobbies & Tropical Fish. Don's is new and still gearing up, but it's worth visiting if you're in the area.

For the local attractions in addition to the aquarium, there's the Zoo, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and the Butterfly Pavillion. If I have a visitor new to Colorado, I also like to take a day trip in the mountains to Estes Park, although it might be getting a bit late in the year to make it to the very top. Lots of shops up there and the Stanley Hotel is pretty neat to see as well.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

-Janel
Old 09/13/2007, 10:11 PM
Geek

Cool my sister was saying Estes park but I couldn't figure out how it was spelled on the phone and I wasn't able to ask her to write it down. She was saying that whole area is really cool.

Sounds great and thanks again for the advice on the fish stores. I'm not sure if I'll be able to bring anything back on the plane but I actually work at one in Orlando and it'd be supercool to see what out of state stores look like compared to what I'm used to!

The butterfly pavillion sounds great .

Does the museum of nature and science have a lot of cool stuff? according to their website they are showing the Titanic exhibit but i saw it when it came here to Florida so .. I'd love to go if there were lots of other things to look at but it would be kind of moot to see an attraction we've already seen
Old 09/13/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

Estes Park is the right spelling. Estes is the Gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park. If you haven't been out here I would say its a must. I was blown away by it the first time I went there after moving to Colorado. And you are guaranteed to see some Elk up there. November shouldn't be a busy time for Estes as well.
Old 09/14/2007, 08:07 AM
Premium Member

I'm assuming everything should be fairly close to Denver, a daytrip at the most. If so, here are my suggestions. One of the many hot spring pools. Central City has gambling if your interested, quaint town, nothing too grand for gambling. As all have said, Estes Park & mountains. Coors or Budweiser tours? I believe our zoo ranked very high in the country, and I'd say the aquarium is worth seeing at least once. Enjoy your visit.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

There is a coupon for 1 free admission ($8) to the butterfly pavillion in the northern colorado edition of the Gold C coupon book, see if your sis can pick one up. Tons of other coupons in it, costs $10.

I second or third Estes and Rocky Mountain NP. We like walking through the shops, before the big Christmas rush.

Zerillit mentioned a Coors tour. Close to Superior and it is free, with free beer at the end of the tour.

Check out Pearl St mall in Boulder, good people watching While there you could swing by Aqua-Imports. They are off 28th on Bluff/Buff. OK selection of corals, far superior to the other shop in Boulder.

Don't forget to have a rest day during your visit.

Todd
Old 09/15/2007, 10:12 AM
Geek

Thanks for the awesome tips!

Speaking of a rest day.. coming from a very hot and humid FL I hear your temperatures are really quite pleasant but there's like 0 humidity.

My sis says the trick is to keep drinking to stay hydrated and another person told me to keep a saline solution to keep your nose from getting cracked and lip balm.

Sis seems a little worried about us operating for a few days at altitude too versus being at sea level.. Have any of you noticed much of a strain or is it something you can sleep or shake off?

Thanks again for being so helpful!
Old 09/15/2007, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

if your in superior, go for a hike in Eldorado springs. its where i grew up, and its very beautiful.
Old 09/15/2007, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

I moved out here from California. It's normally extremely dry but this year seems to be more humid. You'll be fine. When I first came out here I had a bloody nose every day so that's something that MAY happen.
Old 09/15/2007, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

When I moved out in July I took aspirin regularly. While I do not have a "control" on the experiment to know for sure, it seemed to help with the thinner air.
Old 09/15/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I would check out

Garden of the Gods
Red Rocks Ampitheater
Go Hiking around St. Mary's Glacier (you can still ski here if you really want)
Pikes Peak
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics